Agent6

Your thoughts on TNT Evilution

On 2017/12/31 at 4:52 AM, rehelekretep said:

and some of the progression is a bit confusing.

It's funny that I like Map20 the most and I'm fine with Map21 even I don't like confusing progression either. Compared to others, the maps are definitely confusing to other official WADs. Just being curious to ask, which map(s) do you find confusing?

Posted (edited)

Relating to the original question; I found TNT to be quite fun. Though the maps made by Drake O'Brien is a total pain (MAP20/21/27). The first few levels for TNT is memorable for me - having played them quite a bit when I was younger. Challenge wise, it feels about on par with a slightly harder Doom II level.

For the question from GarrettChan, MAP20/21/27. :P

GarrettChan likes this

7 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

It's funny that I like Map20 the most and I'm fine with Map21 even I don't like confusing progression either. Compared to others, the maps are definitely confusing to other official WADs. Just being curious to ask, which map(s) do you find confusing?

god i cant remember off the top of my head unfortunately :(

1 minute ago, rehelekretep said:

god i cant remember off the top of my head unfortunately :(

Just idclev them quickly :D

@HellserYep, I know his maps are just like this. Funny enough, I don't really hate these maps, but it's very understandable hating these three maps.

for you, anything :p

04 if youre not going for the super quick exit

05 with all the funny corridors and doors

15 (secrets)

16 (all the verticality and funny lifts)

21 (so complex for my small brain :'( )

22 (just... why are you hidden!)

not as many as i remember, but enough to be quite irritating when youre just running around aimlessly.

still like it more than the other iwads though!

GarrettChan likes this

It took me some time to get through TNT, my first attempt was in the second half of 2015 but I never sat down and went through the whole thing until March of last year. I would usually stop at or around map08 because at the time I found that map to be a chore to get through due to the end arena, however, once I got my some experience under my belt I managed to breeze through the rest of TNT. Well, it was not too difficult for me but there were still a couple instances where I managed to get held up yet was able prevail in the hope of finishing Final Doom. If this wasn't an IWAD I probably would of dropped it early on and looked the other way. I don't hate TNT but I just believe Plutonia is better since that has better level design in my opinion.

TNT Evilution is my favourite game from "Final Doom". In my childhood I loved it more than original Doom and Doom 2. 

Because it has good design of textures and some sprites. And some levels like a real places like a Warehouse (MAP19 with truck), Pyramids (MAP31) and many others.

rehelekretep and Chewyninja69 like this

Currently I am playing TNT because I haven't played it for couple of years and I kinda forgot how it even looks.

I am in the map 15 now and some maps seem to be rather low quality. It would take around 2 hours to make them in Doom Builder 2 nowdays I guess.

Some places are rather boring and I have to force myself to play them a little bit.

On the other hand it has also some interesting places and some good ideas. Not suffering to play, but sometimes it's really strange iwad.

rehelekretep likes this

I don't understand the hate for Into Beast's Belly. It's probably my favorite TNT MIDI.

8 hours ago, Snikle said:

I don't understand the hate for Into Beast's Belly. It's probably my favorite TNT MIDI.

I think its main problem is the volume rather than the midi itself. When I played Scythe I clearly remember it being the loudest track of all, I had to lower the volume because the music almost started covering various noises. It became a distraction.

I'm annotating an automap screenshot of MAP03 right now. Gonna finish it this time. Really. :> (Sadly the ending was spoiled by a George Bell demopack.)

Some aspects haven't aged well -- monotonous texturing, square rooms, switch hunts being the tubular new meme (I hear Eternal has even more). But IMO the main point is

On 12/27/2017 at 2:46 PM, Uni said:

For me, TNT Evilution felt a lot more like an adventure, with its varied locales and themes. Its grand scale still takes my breath away

There are so many places I would never forget ever since I first saw them like the final area in Metal, the dark atmosphere in Open Season and the Crater itself in Crater but to this day, Mount Pain or to be more specific the mountain itself

TNT balances this aspect with combat; it's not just one or the other. Modders, vanilla or otherwise, have struggled with such balance over the years (BECAUSE IT'S HARD, no disrespect to them; Romero doesn't succeed every time either). But here it seems to work, giving a tangible feeling of progress that adds to the player's immersion.

PasokonDeacon likes this

Ok, now I am in the map 22

And I really think the TNT overuses hitscanners as Plutonia does. Chaingunners are almost everywhere.

BTW map 20 and 21 are really strange in every aspect.

Just now, Matthias said:

Ok, now I am in the map 22

And I really think the TNT overuses hitscanners as Plutonia does. Chaingunners are almost everywhere.

There's loads of them in some maps from TNT as well, first one that comes to mind if Stronghold but damn if that map isn't fun.

Their placement isn't as good as it is in Plutonia, so they tend to not be such a big threat like they can be there. Or so was my experience, I found them much deadlier in Plutonia.