Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

World Health Organization to add Gaming Disorder to ICD

Everything about it sounds reasonable except I don’t know why they single out gaming. They should just describe people with consumption based addictions and include as a footnote consumption can include food, drugs and/or media. The video games part isn’t wrong but it feels like a “hook” to get some clicks. They just describe escapism to the detriment of ones’ mental (and physical) health and name video games as a potential catalyst which seems pointless since the same can and should be applied to many different activities.

43 minutes ago, insertwackynamehere said:

Everything about it sounds reasonable except I don’t know why they single out gaming. They should just describe people with consumption based addictions and include as a footnote consumption can include food, drugs and/or media. The video games part isn’t wrong but it feels like a “hook” to get some clicks. They just describe escapism to the detriment of ones’ mental (and physical) health and name video games as a potential catalyst which seems pointless since the same can and should be applied to many different activities.

That's not a great comparison: drugs' addictive qualities are chemical as much as psychological, so would need very different treatment (you can't therapy someone off heroin!).

Games have been singled out because a: people do literally die from playing too many video games, and b: video game addiction is a specific kind of disorder compared to, say, gambling addiction or over eating.  People don't play excessive video games for the same reason people eat themselves to death, so lumping them all together would be pretty irresponsible.  The WHO clearly feels that the triggers that cause gaming addiction are unique enough that it warrants its own category. 

The problem with Doom is obviously - the wads and levels are too small

and short to keep peoples playing for long enough - also in SP completely

missing a elite-community which attracts to invest more future time ... sorta. 

Therefore on the other side the game has a comparably high morale level

what kinda decreases the "fault-quitter" rates. 

P.S.: Consider that i can only write about old

Dooms from the 90s and not the new stuffs! 

Edited by Kaal979

In my honest opinion theres nothing wrong with decent

heroic-fantasy-bigtime-playground-futures except theres

no true favorite on the horizon but indeed peoples could

have a worldwide censor agency or something and of course

normal acceptance among the better societies. 

By the way - VIOLENCE has been and will

always be part of the humannature

and therefore somehow cant be

overstupidated or whatever. 

The Essence Of Science-Fiction

The Essence Of Science-Fiction

P.S.: Equals: 

Fragging whatever human opponent =

"Forbidden Fruit" which shalt be "consumed" moderately. 

Fragging (evil and funny) AI Pawn =

"Allowed Fruit" which must be "consumed" without limits. 

Edited by Kaal979

this was only 12 hours ago but man does this beg to be repeated from the post since then:

12 hours ago, Arctangent said:

I wonder how accurately you can tell who's neurotypical and who's not just from their responses in this thread.

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

That's not a great comparison: drugs' addictive qualities are chemical as much as psychological, so would need very different treatment (you can't therapy someone off heroin!).

Games have been singled out because a: people do literally die from playing too many video games, and b: video game addiction is a specific kind of disorder compared to, say, gambling addiction or over eating.  People don't play excessive video games for the same reason people eat themselves to death, so lumping them all together would be pretty irresponsible.  The WHO clearly feels that the triggers that cause gaming addiction are unique enough that it warrants its own category. 

I’m not sure I would separate gambling and gaming, it seems to be the closest similar thing. Both involve someone drawn in by positive (yet non-guaranteed) feedback with a hint of skill. Games might be a bit more skill heavy than some gambling, but things like Poker require skill as well, as does sports betting to a degree. The others may need to be handled differently as you say, but I’m skeptical that although treatments differ, it’s not all part of the same addictive tendencies plus depressive tendencies. Regardless I’m not a doctor, and I don’t even disagree with the assessment on any level. I just am bracing myself for “videogames are evil” pop science headlines that completely miss the point.

21 hours ago, Arctangent said:

and this is what I call "assuming everyone's a meddler so I'm not going to bother actually reading anything"

Huh? For example, the way you decided to meddle with my response. Pretty much the same thing: A sad, misguided attempt to get involved and impose a will, with no understanding of the cause and effect of it all. Way to go.

2 hours ago, Arctangent said:

this was only 12 hours ago but man does this beg to be repeated from the post since then:

HARDKOAR GAMURS getting defensive and angry? Why I never!

On 12/27/2017 at 8:21 PM, Nems said:

Maybe if real life wasn't such a fucking Goddamn shithole people wouldn't increasingly use video games as a means of escapism? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I mean, if it's not video games, it's alcohol, drugs, gambling (which has been kind of leaking into gaming lately thanks to loot boxes), or something else to cling to as a psychological crutch to keep from gargling some 12-gauge mouthwash, whether it's self-administered or administered to other people unwillingly. Most people have that "thing" that helps them make it through the day without killing someone else or themselves.

There's a deeper social disorder or dysfunction involved that unfortunately either doesn't have a quick fix (any good fix to social ailments is never quick or short-term) or can't be fixed because of the clown fiesta we have running the country/world doesn't want it fixed. It's fucked up because they want it fucked up because it benefits them. You can treat addiction all day until the cows come home and until you're blue in the face. However, until deeper social problems like inequality, lack of economic/social mobility, prejudice, lack of access to basic needs, etc. are addressed, people are going to find ways to cope with shitty life circumstances. Cure them of one addiction and they'll just go to another.

Or they'll eventually snap and kill others/themselves when they eventually have nothing left to go to.

"You have owners.  They own you." - George Carlin

1 hour ago, kb1 said:

A sad, misguided attempt to get involved and impose a will, with no understanding of the cause and effect of it all. Way to go.

is this describing yourself because it's pretty accurate

15 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

I just am bracing myself for “videogames are evil” pop science headlines that completely miss the point.

Well don't worry those aren't new and won't be going away any time soon.

A lot of people are misinterpreting this thread to be about freaking social conformity instead of a life threatening disorder. This isn't about your moms and neighbors telling you gaming is a waste of time and you should watch sports instead blahblahlah. 

8 minutes ago, rodster said:

so, does that mean that we can use park spaces for disabled People?

I definitely feel like a mentally insane person since this addition.

Or not.

14 minutes ago, rodster said:

Have you ever wanted to physically throw a forum post out through a glass window?

3 hours ago, rodster said:

holy derailment, batman. 

On 12/28/2017 at 9:35 PM, Arctangent said:

is this describing yourself because it's pretty accurate

Just saw this. "I know you are, but what am I?" Wow, that brings back memories. I got bagged me with a Kindergarten diss. Good one - I actually laughed.

2 hours ago, kb1 said:

Just saw this. "I know you are, but what am I?" Wow, that brings back memories. I got bagged me with a Kindergarten diss. Good one - I actually laughed.

Well, everyone, we now have a perfect example of how someone can blatantly misread someone and have people tell them that they misread it and still be fully confident that the text says what they think it said, even though everyone who actually read it can prove otherwise.

Or maybe this is an example of some sort of god complex reinforcing the belief that they can change something just by saying how it is. Hard to tell.

The amount of people in this thread who seem to think this is some "attack on gaming" baffles me. This is simply recognizing a specific addiction that a substantial number of people have been afflicted with to the point where it is detrimental to their livelihood. The WHO officially recognizing this phenomenon is likely to lead to one thing: A higher number of people who are dangerously addicted to games will be able to seek more effective help, faster. That's it.

No one is denying that a person could become detrimentally addicted to most any creative/escapist endeavor. No one (with a brain) is claiming this is the fault of the games themselves. No one is trying to take away your ability to do those 8-hour Doom binges from time to time. This is simply an endeavor to more clearly understand this specific variant of addiction and thus find effective treatment for those suffering from it.

fuck dude this shit explains itself, how is anyone finding so much stuff to argue about here rofl

9 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

fuck dude this shit explains itself, how is anyone finding so much stuff to argue about here rofl

Well, the kneejerks come in all shapes and sizes, so the amount of stuff that can be argued about correlates quite nicely. :p

But, as it stands, this thread is yet another good example for when it's just best to unsub and move on with one's life, because there's nothing left to be found here that is actually worth looking for.

23 hours ago, kb1 said:

So a week later, you saw it necessary to respond to a "childish" diss with passive-aggressively scolding it and stating how above it you are with your maturity and wisdom. Good one - I actually sneered.

When will Gamers-with-a-big-G use the same righteous indignation against the entire nation of Japan for inventing the concepts of "otaku" and "hikikomori" as ways of saying that spending all your time shut in in your bedroom in front of your screen while forgetting to eat, drink, bathe, and talk to flesh-and-blood people is somehow bad?