Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grain of Salt

What PWAD map would you take back to 1993 to stun Id Software?

If you could travel back in time to before the release of Doom, what single PWAD map would you take with you to impress/confuse/overwhelm the developers? For simplicity's sake, let's say it can be any compatibility level, and can require any of the iwads (because limiting the selection to vanilla doom 1 pwads would make for a pretty boring conversation).

It has to be one map, and you have to explain why you chose it.

My choice is MAP08 of Stardate 20x7 (Grand Ballroom), because I think it's the closest you could get to conveying in one map how far both aesthetics and gameplay have advanced in the years since doom was released.

Okay, go.

For aesthetics.....Void and Rainbow.

For vanilla looking map....could be Miasma or one of the Sunlust maps.

Heck, even some maps of recent community projects can be fine...

Requiem map 31 because of lot of cool vanilla tricks like transparent lift , horizontal opening doors , fake ceiling... while staying very doomy.

Miasma.

EDIT: Miasma needs no explanation. It's the "everything map" (except for puzzles), gameplay is top tier, visuals are awesome, MIDI-choice is godlike.

/thread

Brutal Doom... It's the way Doom was meant to be

But seriously though, I'd take Brigandine. It's really close to Vanilla limitations, uses vanilla textures to spectacular effect and plays remarkably well. It only uses the resources ID had back then (except Limit-Removing) and ends up brilliantly.

Edited by SGS Man

I would take Excella from Vela Pax by Mechadon but for that matter, I could easily take any map Mechadon has made in recent times(I don't really know what he made in the past)so stuff like Back to Saturn X, Vela Pax and Counterattack would all be a candidate. I think his maps still stun people to this day, including me. I have no idea how someone can create such an elaborate settings and grand architecture and still manage to make them fun to play and a joy to look at. Seriously, his automap shots are absolutely stunning and I think Excella would blow the guys at Id out of the water.

1 minute ago, Uni said:

I would take Excella from Vela Pax by Mechadon but for that matter, I could easily take any map Mechadon has made in recent times(I don't really know what he made in the past)so stuff like Back to Saturn X, Vela Pax and Counterattack would be a candidate. I think his maps still stun people to this day, including me. I have no idea how someone can create such an elaborate settings and grand architecture and still manage to make them fun to play and a joy to look at. Seriously, his automap shots are absolutely stunning and I think Excella would blow the guys at Id out of the water.

If we showed them Vela Pax BEFORE they completed doom, then they would want to meet its bar for complexity and then doom would never get released ;-P

I think I would bring them Brotherhood of Ruin or the egypt levels in Scythe2, I would have loved for a Carmack/Cloud set of 90's cartoony pixellated monlithic stone / temple textures.

28 minutes ago, SGS Man said:

Brutal Doom... It's the way Doom was meant to be

I think Romero actually once said that he sometimes wonders what would've happened if Doom (as released in 1993) was Brutal Doom.

I'd take a time machine with a floppy containing Experiencing Nirvana map21. They'd get inspired and track down a free-spirited mapper to build a level similar; and he'd copy the first room pretty much and then design some freeform gameplay around that. They'd need monsters to fit (the five barons in en21 would make them think, "Man, these guys are boring monsters") so they'd invent a lot of creative enemies that have more complex attacks. They'd make a lot of maps to pack with it, and one day Carmack would say "this is mega awesome!" and Romero would say "mega? mega! megawad!" 

And that's how Doom 2 was born.

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

vanilla looking map

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Miasma or one of the Sunlust maps

heh

Good question! As much as I despise ZDoom, if we showed them some ZDoom map with rooms-above-rooms and scripting and stuff, that would probably be pretty shocking. Otherwise, I'd say something mechanically advanced -- after all, these are programmers who know the entire engine backwards and forwards, yet we've managed to use odd quirks of this engine in ways they never could have imagined.

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

* shows them any slaughtermap

- "haha, that's funny, he put hundreds of revenants in every room"

- "no, people actually seriously play these"

- "..."

-_- Just for that, I'm gonna say Slaughterfest 2012 map 30.

I can't decide between two.

MAP 08: The Temples from Empyrion

Spoiler

It's my favorite map from my favorite PWAD.

2. ZDoom Community Map Project Take 2. It's technically a whole campaign in 1 map.

alt.wad map 11

to explain how good wordless narrative can get in doom

also to let them know that icon of sin doesn't work properly in earlier map slots

jawdropping stuff tends to come from the map's visual element and any technical hoops it has to jump through to get there. gameplay has less room for such innovations and can't really impress in the same way, much of the time it's either plain good, plain bad or somewhere in between. rare are the maps that do something new with gameplay while also melting your face off with their beautiful visuals. fun as large scale fights can be on occasion, they distract you from the environment you're in and you can end up not really noticing it, this is why i tend to prefer less dense monster usage i think.

so that being said, i'll just jump straight to the extreme of what i'm getting at and say the given.

Total Chaos. This is something that you don't see often as a doom mod.

Does it have to be able to run on the hardware of the time?

nvm I fail reading comprehension and I can't pick a favorite ignore me

My first thoughts were Sunlust Map30 and CC4 Map21. I also thought of Sunder pretty quickly. I think anything else I come up with would be similar. I would want to show them some of the massive-scale "epic" maps which would just absolutely blow them away with the sheer scale of the things.

Maybe Cybersweeper from Eternal Doom, since that doesn't even need DeHackEd to turn Doom into a totally different game. Planisphere 2 would also be fun to show them.

Now I'm wondering if any map could possibly convince them to keep Tom Hall on board.

Hdoom to show them what cancer is possible to design in their engine. If we're looking for a more serious map, MAP30 of Swift Death. They could have fun with that one :P