Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doommarine_maxi

Which is the hardest custom map you ever played?

I don't played that much of custom maps but If I where to choose one, it would be Tested. Play it on veteran, it's amazing!!

In fact, I'm going to throw my list of the hardest maps I played.

1. Tested (by far)
  2. CodeRED
  3. Insonmia
  4. Deep Caves of Mars
  5. In Hell

(Not allowed impossible maps, ex: a box with 123123 cyberdemons & bruisers)

You definitely need to try TEH Base. Very thoughtful arrangement of monsters, making the gameplay tense. Quality of level-design at the level of the original. The fight with the final boss will require a good patience. It's really complicated. Urukhai and Labyrinth, large and intricate maps with elaborated non-linearity. The choice of the right way at beginning decides much. CW01 (RoE) was remembered to me by very frequent deaths, although with the skillful play of many difficulties it is possible to avoid. The layout of the map allows the player to drop back, and when the ammo run out, you can use "gravity gun".

I also recommend:

T-Lab Complex
Executive Quarters

In my collection there is a map called Qlifot. Not too rich in terms of details, but to pass it without cheating will be a real feat.

Edited by StormCatcher.77

TEH Base (NexusMods)

Urukhai (NexusMods)

Labyrinth (NexusMods)

Cramped Waste 01 (NexusMods)

T-Lab Complex (GameBanana)

Executive Quarters (NexusMods)

Qlifot (Mediafire, 38 MB)

Strange things, but it seems the Qlifot is not available anywhere. I downloaded it for a long time from map-factory.org, but it no longer exists. Author's site too. I found this "masterpiece" in my archives. Now it is available. I "resurrected" the map, hope not in vain. So long ago it was ... I really want to know your impressions of this rare stuff. This, in any case, is an early legacy.

Posted (edited)
On 29.12.2017 at 7:06 AM, Doommarine_maxi said:

it would be Tested. Play it on veteran, it's amazing!!

I prefer to play it on lower skill levels than Veteran, and without saving. Here is why:

- by avoiding saving, you raise the tension a lot. The feeling is epic no matter if you win or lose. You can feel the sadism and creepiness of this megawad much better, as well as the feeling of heroism when you prevail.

- there are many situations where you're a chew toy for the monsters (unless you're really prepared). It's best if you have time to kill them before they do you in. Damage suffered in lower skills is much less than on Veteran. I knew Veteran is too much when I died to three pinky demons in the Hangar level at the end. I'll see whether Marine is playable later, especially after that nasty level with the glitchy rising lava stairway.

On 29.12.2017 at 1:07 PM, StormCatcher.77 said:

Qlifot (Mediafire, 38 MB)

Strange things, but it seems the Qlifot is not available anywhere. I downloaded it for a long time from map-factory.org, but it no longer exists. Author's site too. I found this "masterpiece" in my archives. Now it is available. I "resurrected" the map, hope not in vain. So long ago it was ... I really want to know your impressions of this rare stuff. This, in any case, is an early legacy.

Thanks for the link, I didn't knew that one. Interesting level, the layout is based on the Cabbalistic tree of life. The custom monsters are a nice addition. Those Guardian-headed soldiers remind me to the Hell Razers from Doom 2016. It started to get silly though when the cartoon birds appeared. The level is hard in a trial and error way. Haven't played it through yet.

On topic: Tested is by far the hardest set of custom maps I played for Doom 3.

Urukhai is one of my favourite levels because the layout is so enchantingly convoluted, non-linear and interconnected. Didn't find it hard combat-wise, but I guess it's hard to navigate for many players.