Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Brutal Doom wins mod of the year on Mod DB

Meh...

Considering the sheer number of players that worship Sergeant Mark IV and his mod, and the noticeable media coverage Brutal Doom has had, I'm not surprised that Brutal Doom gets some more recognition.

That comment section is saltier than the Dead Sea though...

10 minutes ago, Memfis said:

This is actually a good thing for the community.

Is it? What happens when all the BD fans who's only experience with the game comes from BD start flooding the forum? As much as I love BD (and I do) I don't really want Doomworld to get turned into BrutalDoomworld.com...

I honestly expected Brutal Doom to land somewhere in the top 10 given that no other Doom mod is anywhere close to its popularity, so congrats to Mark there. The comment section is another thing of its own, both sides (Including Mark, sigh) spewing juvenile insults at each other and just showing how some act like Brutal Doom is the only Doom mod worth noting or scream how Brutal Doom is the worst thing on the planet. Guess the stigma that Brutal Doom fans/haters are rude and childish isn't going away anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Brutal Doom taking the #1 spot over mods for other games is a good thing for Doom. Its creator dissing the entire rest of the Doom modding community in the comments section is not.

I just saw that. He literally says he has put more work into Brutal Doom than the entire rest of the Doom community has put into all it's wads for this whole year. lmao at saying that when half the assets in the mod aren't even new.

2 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Brutal Doom taking the #1 spot over mods for other games is a good thing for Doom. Its creator dissing the entire rest of the Doom modding community in the comments section is not.

Honestly, it's more bad than good. I don't think I want the creator of what is essentially the flagship Doom mod verbally lambasting people and generally being a piece of shit, especially if mainstream gaming sites are going to cover it. People have already been turned off from the community in general because of it. I mean, it's on them for thinking that most Doomers are like that, but Mark's really not making a good case for us.

8 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Sometimes I wonder how much of it is him trying to get a rise out of boards like Doomworld, and universally succeeding every time...

Meh. Other mods deserve higher recognition for once, like Blade of Agony for example.

Brutal Doom is for what I say, overrated. That and don't get me started with the general fanbase population..

I expected BD to take a high spot but well, not exactly #1. I have mixed feelings, good for keeping Doom well alive and popular on one hand, but on the other probably going to be bad when it'll start being recognized as the "definitive Doom mod" and be (sadly) more and more seen by people as "the way Doom is supposed to be (played)".

I love Brutal Doom to bits, but even I can agree that other mods, hell even Doom wads are more deserving of the #1 spot. But hell it's player's choice and god knows ModDB isn't known for quality (go to Half-Life mods or Doom mods and sort by Added jesus fuck).

On 12/29/2017 at 10:44 PM, DepravedDiptera said:

isn't known for quality (go to Half-Life mods)

Every game has its share of shitty mods, but both HL and HL2 enjoyed the release of some fantastic mods over the course of the years on Moddb that are still popular and especially held in high regard, and that for good reason (see Life's End, Azure Sheep, Point of View, Zombie Edition, Sven Co-Op, They Hunger, Black Ops, Cry of Fear, Minerva, Human Error: Episode One, Zombie Panic, and so on, those are only a few).

Edited by Agent6

I like brutal doom but there are other great doom mods that I see that doesn't get much recognized...there is a new doom mod called doom incarnate which is great too and there are MANY MANY others that are also good...I think all mods are perfect in their own way. The mod that got my attention a lot which is pretty old was project msx

but if you like brutality in doom mod then you can't go wrong with brutal doom, it will have all the gore taste you ask for

It's great that a doom mod has reached this profile which will draw people in, though I must admit that the whole saga really is an example of what could have been if Mark was a nicer guy, I mean help from other coders involved in doomworld and more interaction fromits initial build could have resulted in a much more polished product and probably a more harmonious community. 

In the end the whole thing feels a bit bitter sweet in the end. His coments in that thread pretty much show that his level of arrogance hasn't dropped in any way which means the whole saga will likely continue.

Speaking of Brutal Doom, wouldn't it be funny if SMIV did something like Brutal Doom, but for Descent?

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

Every game has its share of shitty mods, but both HL and HL2 did enjoy the release of some fantastic mods over the course of the years that are still popular and especially held in high regard anyway, and that for good reason (see Life's End, Azure Sheep, Point of View, Zombie Edition, Sven Co-Op, They Hunger, Black Ops, Cry of Fear, Minerva, Human Error: Episode One, Zombie Panic, and so on, those are only a few).

I didn't say that all HL mods or all mods on ModDB were bad, sorry if it came across that way. It's just that most mods uploaded there kinda suck, but I will admit that there are good ones on there, even if most of them are reuploaded from other sites.

At the core it's a decent mod (at least v15 was, the last one I even played, looked at v21 and beside the map enhancement script voodoo bullshit I wasn't really feeling it) with some interesting coding features, no doubt took a long time to implement for the desired results. But at the end of the day it's a glorified gore mod that honestly was never the appeal for me in the first place, just the harder, faster and louder gameplay because thematically it really did remind me of the Doom comic and I found that kind of charming. Kind of. I remember SGT Mark IV before he did BD and we were on a Skulltag server for Kaiser's Console Doom back in 2009, where I remember him cyber sexing some female player. I guess that should've been an indication of quality to come.

Then Project Brutality happened and ramped the (cough, excuse me) ADHD levels to 111, when Brutal Doom is already at an 11, and the v21 update just looks like a mess now, too flashy, too erratic, too much visual and audio pollution to really concentrate on while trying to play the game. The fandom for the mod and its fork are incredibly obnoxious to put it very kindly, and the whole thing just ends up coming off far more silly and juvenile than actually being badass and cool like the creators intended. There's so much more to Doom's moddability than just these but yet they get all the coverage because the journalists know no better.

On the topic of brutal doom, since I keep seeing this brought up on the contest win thread AND in numberous other places, I constantly see people accusing it of 'stealing' assets or code, and I see this thrown around constantly, even by people acting mature about the way they bring it up.

Is there any proof or merit to these claims, is it all a pile of crap, etc, and if its true is there any where i can get proof of it?

Sorry, i've just been wondering about this for a while, and if the claims are remotely true then maybe it might not deserve its number 1 spot.

It's pretty embarrassing the childish hatred BD is getting in those comments.  I see at least one person on there banned from DW for being an ass, and them "representing" the rest of the Doom community on there annoys me more than anything Mark himself says.

29 minutes ago, Cpt.Haxray said:

On the topic of brutal doom, since I keep seeing this brought up on the contest win thread AND in numberous other places, I constantly see people accusing it of 'stealing' assets or code, and I see this thrown around constantly, even by people acting mature about the way they bring it up.

Is there any proof or merit to these claims, is it all a pile of crap, etc, and if its true is there any where i can get proof of it?

I know some of the death animations are stolen at least. The zombies being on fire is ripped from Strife.

3 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I know some of the death animations are stolen at least. The zombies being on fire is ripped from Strife.

The original one was, yes. That and the "burning, running man" is from Blood.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending Brutal Doom but lots of other mods use assets from other games and mods and I don't see anyone complaining, Is it just because they're not as popular as BD ? or because of crediting...