Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Brutal Doom wins mod of the year on Mod DB

Just now, dmg_64 said:

I don't want to sound like I'm defending Brutal Doom but lots of other mods use assets from other games and mods and I don't see anyone complaining, Is it just because they're not as popular as BD ? or because of crediting... 

Because of the later. He originally refused to give credit and even now he hides the credits behind menus so that people aren't as likely to see them.

Must be a crediting thing mostly.

Edit: Ninja'd by hardcore_gamer. I have used BD and other assets in my own RDND mod and they are thoroughly detailed in both credits lump and a text file (and permissions).

2 hours ago, Xaser said:

Brutal Doom taking the #1 spot over mods for other games is a good thing for Doom. Its creator dissing the entire rest of the Doom modding community in the comments section is not.

I've been reading his comments about the doom community, that's quite an asshole move, too bad it's fanbase will defend him and they'll keep boasting about how BD it's doom "the way it was supposed to be", that kind of BS is why i avoid playing BD

Now that I think of it, I'm surprised that GMDX for Deus Ex didn't at least get an honourable mention. I haven't played it myself, but it has a 9.6 user rating on Mod DB. 

One of my complaints is BD have too much ketchup and too loud effects.

Although, stealing other people's resources and code is uncultured.

Edited by riderr3

So in other words, he didnt use to give credit. Now he gives credit, but intentionally hides it to make it seem he made most of the assets, while being able to claim hes giving proper credit.

While that IS a dick move, claiming hes 'stealing' assets is going a bit too far it seems.

But what about the claims about stolen code? Is there any merit to those?

1 hour ago, Glaice said:

The original one was, yes. That and the "burning, running man" is from Blood.

Which reminds me, Space Trucker is still available for sale on Steam.

The way the DW community reports on Brutal Doom's every move while insisting that it doesn't care one whit about Brutal Doom is extremely silly.

Don't look at me, I came in here fully prepared to go "That's nice." and walk out again. It's just a shame that bullshit follows in SgtMkIV's wake.

Lets face facts, the only reason brutal doom won that award is because of all the media coverage it recieved. If something like blade of agony had recieved that much coverage it would have been first, and would have deserved it more. instead we got brutal doom, which is (in my opinion) a terrible attempt to make a classic game modern, which it doesnt need.

Doesn't it already win that award every year?  What's particularly new or interesting that it happened again this time?

Well Brutal Doom won,cool.MarkIV steals,not cool.People are going apeshit about it,normal.

Someone at BD Discord Server already left a flame comment about this.

It mentioned:

Spoiler

Fuck Brutal Doom, and fuck it for winning the moddb award, the mod author told a kid to commit suicide.

I have no problem with Brutal Doom itself, as I don't play it no more but let's face it.

Mark needs to change his attitude. Before I joined the community, I heard about his shitty behavior of being sexist, racist & encouraging a kid to kill himself.

I'd thought of him realizing his faults & man the fuck up & apologize for it after those incidents.

I was mistaken. BD winning MOTY just strengthened his ego & now he uses his fanbase as a shield from "jealous" haters by trash talking them, thinking "I have a fanbase. Therefore, there is no way I'd feel threatened by being called out & shit."

Disgusting he believes his mod took more hours to work on than Blade of Agony, for example.

BD is nothing but updates now. What is a core of it, we have already seen it. It's Doom on steroids with no credit given to the resources.

6 hours ago, silentzorah said:

Doesn't it already win that award every year?  What's particularly new or interesting that it happened again this time?

Spoiler

Brutal Doom has polled strongly in previous awards, but has never won.

Other than that, not much else probably.

Is this Whineworld - for all your sniveling needs, or is this Doomworld? Congratulations, Sergeant_Mark_IV!

1 hour ago, Olroda said:

Is this Whineworld - for all your sniveling needs, or is this Doomworld? Congratulations, Sergeant_Mark_IV!

Well, this sure is one way to admit to people you like to have very large opinions about things you know nothing about.

I'm actually surprised to hear this, I always thought that brutal doom already won at moddb years ago. And as weird as it will sound I feel that Sgt Mark IV has become a prisoner of his own creation.

It should have last year too. I super enjoy Brutal Doom. Its the one with the most fame too. You can't fight fame.

Russian Overkill is catching up with a wide margin still to go.

Slagging people off and generally being a wanker is a good way to diminish the achievement, which is what has happened.

Doom mods winning awards in 2017 = Amazing news!

BD winning it = Irrelevant.

Btw.. do you think I could get away with nicking BD's assault rifle sprites? 

I can't help but wonder why Brutal Doom won over so many other Doom mods that aren't unbalanced messes created by thieving asshats.

2 hours ago, MFG38 said:

I can't help but wonder why Brutal Doom won over so many other Doom mods that aren't unbalanced messes created by thieving asshats.

Because like it or not, people like flashy loud things. Why do you think the Transformer movies make more money than some hipster art movie does?

Because people would rather have this instead of deep intelligent stuff:

Edited by hardcore_gamer