Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Brutal Doom wins mod of the year on Mod DB

6 minutes ago, printz said:

I believe it's fully mod author's right to actively block incompatible mods or source ports from running along with it.

@Sergeant_Mark_IV: Wouldn't it be much easier to run an ACS script that says "Brutal Doom won't run with Project Brutality", instakills the player and then spews some obscenities just to give a clue why? Without charging up the CPU or other dangerous things.

I didn't really put much thought on something creative, just wanted to make PB not work with it and make people go "wtf why its not working" (even after I stated that the file required the latest BDv21 beta). 

12 minutes ago, Csonicgo said:

Because with this move, I can't trust your mods anymore. If you can be this petty, what else are you doing we don't know about yet?

Now you are being excessively over-dramatic. I have explained the story already, this is an extraordinary situation with specific targeted people in mind, and not something I would gratuitously do to everyone.

I have to update the file today to fix an exploit that breaks some maps, and I will have this code removed. Jesus christ, you people have no sense of humor.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Jesus christ, you people have no sense of humor.

If I made a mod that just bluescreened your computer for no obvious reason how would you react? Like this?

Nobody is laughing bro.

5 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

If I made a mod that just bluescreened your computer for no obvious reason how would you react? Like this?

To be fair, this specifically is not possible for any Doom mod to do outside of any hypothetical Doom source port that functioned as a kernel driver. Unless you had faulty hardware, but then you have a very different and more important problem.

8 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Now you are being excessively over-dramatic.

OK...

8 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I have explained the story already

Which how many of the users are going read exactly? (And most likely after the fact, mind you)

9 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

this is an extraordinary situation with specific targeted people in mind

Such as people who wanted to enjoy your stuff? Because they're the ones you hit.

You know, contrary to other people who think that making something not work with another thing by way of scripting for example is all evil and bad and whatnot, I have nothing against it at all, in fact I might do just the same eventually. However, if the only reason you do this is a personal grudge, while you have no gameplay related reason (stuff breaking/crashing/becoming unplayable/etc) then I'm gonna have to agree that kind of script you put in there was a bad move.

I'm trying to decide how outraged I should be, and in which direction, but I'm stuck on this question: when does it ever make sense to load both Brutal Doom and Project Brutality at the same time?

10 minutes ago, Linguica said:

giphy.gif

To be fair you are quoting a discussion that happened one day before a scheduled upload, but I am working on it right now.

4 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Didn't we had an entire discussion about how this can't happen? Stop trying to blow things out of proportion.

Just now, Benjogami said:

I'm trying to decide how outraged I should be, and in which direction, but I'm stuck on this question: when does it ever make sense to load both Brutal Doom and Project Brutality at the same time?

I was pondering that, myself. My guess is that people were looking to load the latest BD animations alongside PB's plethora of weapons. Personally, I've always found that Brutal Doom works best with vanilla maps, and without any additional modifications. Wanting to load BD alongside something like Russian Overkill just seems excessive to me.

41 minutes ago, Rachael said:

But hey, I am not the one who has to defend my reputation after inserting an intentional crash/freeze bug into something. ;) So carry on!

Interesting that it is you, of all people, who makes such a statement.

In the interest of staying on topic - Hey, @Sergeant_Mark_IV. Congrats on your award.

Now that you have hit the apex of stardom, you can finally shed the shackles of working on Brutal Doom. It must be a soul-crushing creative drain by now.

What's next on the agenda for ModDB's #1 modder?

1 hour ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

just wanted to make PB not work with it and make people go "wtf why its not working"

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with disabling your mod from working with another if they pulled the crap you described.

But the approach confuses me.  What's stopping people just seeing the mass of particles slowing everything down, and blaming Brutal Doom for the error?  I wonder how many people told others "the latest version of BD is broken, don't download it" as a result?  I wonder if there's the risk that if you don't explain why something like this happens, people will take the wrong message from it. 

It reminds me of the games where devs put deliberate bugs into versions leaked onto Torrent sites: it seemed like a good idea at the time (punish people for torrenting the game), but the problem is people just interpreted the bugs as genuine and word got around the games were a buggy mess.  It's why no-one does that any more.

4 minutes ago, TerminusEst13 said:

I mean, even with just a cursory glance, I found the 12DG* death sequence by Mike12 and me from Samsara's nightmare gore to be uncredited. And this isn't the first time I've found stuff of mine in, I can only wonder what would happen if I actually dug through the files.

Trust me, I know how difficult it is to keep track of things, with such a huge community! But the burden of crediting is not (and should not) be on other people. It's up to you to keep a list of who did what and update it as needed, especially now that you're making money off other people's work.

Mike is credited on the graphics section, you are credited under code contributions (the script used for the tracers of the Mastermind's projectiles, you once called me out on twitter about it), I didn't knew you also had worked on Samsara's sprites. 

credits.jpg

I didn't even know there was such a list, must be well hidden :d, yet you wonder why people still complain about stolen stuff.

Edited by dmg_64

15 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Mike is credited on the graphics section, you are credited under code contributions (the script used for the tracers of the Mastermind's projectiles, you once called me out on twitter about it), I didn't knew you also had worked on Samsara's sprites.

And yet, you completely ignored this point -

21 minutes ago, TerminusEst13 said:

But the burden of crediting is not (and should not) be on other people. It's up to you to keep a list of who did what and update it as needed, especially now that you're making money off other people's work.

@ Sgt Mark: It's not up to people like wildweasel to furnish a list for you. The onus is on you, and always was. You can solicit help if you need it (and hell, I'll be honest with you - I do solicit such help, myself), but it's still your responsibility and you can't make others do the work for you.

Edited by Rachael

7 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

credits.jpg

Ideally the category names would be more like "People Whose Graphics I [Stole / Took / Used]" (adjust for desired level of honestly). Something like "Code Contributions" might confuse a greener player into thinking that a "contributor" actually provided resources on their own volition, rather than got their stuff ripped. Of course in such cases, it also misrepresents the contributor's role, which is more along the lines of "unwilling provider of [stolen / pilfered / yoinked]  content" than "willing contributor".

51 minutes ago, Rachael said:

It's not up to people like wildweasel to furnish a list for you. The onus is on you, and always was. You can solicit help if you need it (and hell, I'll be honest with you - I do solicit such help, myself), but it's still your responsibility and you can't make others do the work for you.

To be able to claim that "the list is incomplete" it is implied that you know the names of missing people and is refusing to tell it yourself.
Unfortunately there is no way to attach any kind of digital signature to sprites, and even reasonably popular resources might be difficulty to track down. For example, Terminus here once used several sprites made by me from Brutal Doom for his Demonsteele project, and according to him, he found these sprites in a japanese mod. If he wasn't able to notice that these resources came from the most famous wad around, you shouldn't expect me to know the origin of sprites from obscure wads which doesn't even feature actual credits lists and instead issues a "thanks for the creators of the resources used on this wad, whoever you are", or "Thanks to Realm667 for the custom resources".

For some time I have been trying to make a list inside the wad specifying each sprite set and the name of the creator (I currently provided one for the music creators on Extermination Day's soundtrack file, with links to their youtube channels). Now that I managed to make a version with stable gameplay I think I should invest my time on finishing this list.

You want to know the best thing to do in that case, Mark, when you can't find who made something?

Don't use it.

It's rough. As a mod author myself, I know it is. But if you want to be the better person, you have to make that call. And sometimes, maybe not always, but sometimes you might just find that when you do - you find something better to use in its place, anyway. I'm going to be culling assets from my community project here soon, and trust me I am *NOT* looking forward to it - but I know it has to be done, because I value my own integrity more than I value my own pride.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

To be able to claim that "the list is incomplete" it is implied that you know the names of missing people and is refusing to tell it yourself.

Mark, Can we talk about the mental gymnastics you perform here to "validate" yourself? Do you seriously think all of this criticism you receive is out of malice, spite, and envy? Are you telling me, that people in this community, are unable to recognize an original asset or not? This isn't one person being a paranoid asshole, this is several dozens of people across multiple boards acknowledging that you stole their/someones assets. The fact there isn't a compiled list of everything you have done does baffle me, but internet hives as a whole do not lie like that.

This whole community would be sucking your dick for what you've done to make Doom modding more recognized in mainstream media, but the reality of it is you're not the god send it needed, and you have done a lot to hurt it internally. You claim yourself to be this misunderstood genius all the time, but in reality you're playing a game of "I'm not touching you".

You know what I think? I think you're still upset you got banned across practically every doom community out there. Rather than taking the criticisms you receive with grace, you blame everyone else who isn't giving you complete praise, try to defend poor behavior as a joke, and made statements that has labeled you as a neo-nazi. This behavior of yours reached a boiling point, and made people give you the boot. No one else in the history of Doom gets the honor of having an entire set of rules made from the toxic wake you leave behind, and you refuse to acknowledge this is not okay. You know who this reminds me of? Phil Fish. The only thing that's missing is you haven't gone nuclear in an attempt to shut everything down.

lets face facts. @Sergeant_Mark_IV Has proven himself to be a colossal douchebag when it comes to his mod. he cares very little about the people who use it, and more about the people who abuse it, because he has a very fragile ego that can reflect badly on his self esteem. The mod may be #1 on Moddb, but the author is definitely much lower, in terms of humanity, and just general respect. Making an update that intentionally crashes if something else is used on it is pathetic. Even Graf Zahl, with all his numerous issues is a better person than Mark, so the only thing I have to ask is this.

Why is someone who intentionally makes terrywad style trolling attempts still allowed on this forum? Sure, he made brutal doom, but if hes going to cause trouble for people, as well as promote a mod that basically was used temporarily to damage peoples computers (Forcing 50% CPU usage is out of order, it doesnt matter how much.) then he really shouldn't be here. Everyoen is making a fuss, when the simple fact is he's done enough to earn himself a ban, and that would solve everyones problem.

3 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Everyoen is making a fuss, when the simple fact is he's done enough to earn himself a ban, and that would solve everyones problem.

What problem would a ban solve in this particular case?

6 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Just a prank, bro. I will have the code removed on next version. Just wanted to piss off PB fanboys.

The narcissist's prayer:

That didn't happen.

And if it did, it wasn't that bad.

And if it was, that's not a big deal.

And if it is, that's not my fault.

And if it was, I didn't mean it.

And if I did,

You deserved it.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

What problem would a ban solve in this particular case?

to put simply, it would solve a lot of drama on these forums. hes one of the more toxic people of the doom community ,and this thread for example would have died out a long time ago if mark hadn't came in. But I guess this, and the above mentions aren't enough for a ban. Linguica doesnt like just banning people, I respect that.

4 hours ago, Kevansevans said:

Mark, Can we talk about the mental gymnastics you perform here to "validate" yourself? Do you seriously think all of this criticism you receive is out of malice, spite, and envy?

TBH, as someone who thinks Brutal Doom pretty much sucks and is the exact opposite of what I want from any Doom experience, that's kind of how it looks to me.