• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theJF

Doom 1 Episode 1 Sons of Ares

----------Edit Begins----------

I was advised to update this post with the idgames URL for this mapset:

idgames link

(There were a few minor changes to the one linked below, on doomshack)

----------Edit Ends----------

Happy New Year.

Here is a vanilla Episode 1 replacement for Ultimate Doom.
It's called "Sons of Ares":
Download

Here are some screenshots:
Imgur images

IWAD: doom.wad
Ports Tested: Chocolate Doom 3.0.0, GZDoom 3.2.4
Difficulties: Yes. Balanced for pistol starts. Pretty easy because I'm a bad player.
Multiplayer: Yes but untested
New Resources: No
Bugs/Glitches: Drawseg overflows in E1M8.

Big thanks for scifista for demos and feedback and to doomkid for doomshack files

Edited by theJF : mapset on idgames

Here, I recorded demo( requires prboom+ 2.5.1.4) until e1m5, because I died and I had to end, because I recorded saveless demo. Well, I liked so far, but I don't think that maps must have 7-8 secrets, it's kinda tedious for me. Also, it's blind gameplay and I lost in some levels. I don't know if I finish record other maps, time will tell.

demo.zip

18 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Here, I recorded demo( requires prboom+ 2.5.1.4) until e1m5, because I died and I had to end, because I recorded saveless demo. Well, I liked so far, but I don't think that maps must have 7-8 secrets, it's kinda tedious for me. Also, it's blind gameplay and I lost in some levels. I don't know if I finish record other maps, time will tell.

demo.zip

Thanks for the demo MH. And thanks for playing.

Just finished playing through. Have to say that I'm loving this map set. Simple, clean architecture that works well. The maps are good fun to play, the layouts spot on and don't requires hours of running round trying to find stuff.

Mega impressed with the visuals, reminds me that we don't need borders and detail everywhere (the ship was ace).

Regarding the secrets, it seems you have multiple sectors tagged as secret in some cases, which gives the illusion that the maps have many more secrets than it actually has, not really an issue thou IMO.

My only gripe.. Some areas are a tad dark, perhaps put a few more lamps here and there. 

Very good work!  

@Liberation Thanks for spotting the mistakes with the secret sectors. This will go to idgames in the next day or so. Glad you enjoyed this and thanks for playing.

Episode 2 is tentatively planned for the 25th anniversary but I'm a lot slower mapper than Mr Peterson...

And with that I will stop bumping this thread ;) Thanks to everyone who played. Have a safe 2018 people.

This was pretty fun to play, expect some videos on my YouTube channel (see "About me" on profile) of it in the future.

Edited by Glaice