Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matthias

How do you make maps?

Very interesting - a somewhat tight translation of a sketch to an actual map seems kinda rare.

18 hours ago, darkreaver said:

Gameplay is added at the end and is based on the architecture and layout, not the other way around. A reason for why most of my maps suck.

Nah, your maps are super fun to play^

That's remarkable that you do that, Sverre. The only time I've ever sketched a map out before making it was between the end of MAP14 and the start of MAP15 of Scourge. I don't believe DEU II had copy/paste, so I got some graph paper (from school, which should give an indication of how long ago this was) and did a sketch, annotated with dimensions and thing placement, of the ending area so that I could reproduce it for the starting area and then expand on it. Of course, these days you'd either actually copy/paste, or just make a map big enough to contain both parts of the continuous journey being portrayed... However, the limits my PC and DEU were placing on me at the time saw to it that I'd not be able to do that either.

In answer to the thread, I invariably start with the start (quite often putting in a 64x16x72 sector housing DOOR3 and the lights at the end of the EXITDOOR texture) and then start branching out from there. Unless the map is very linear (as some of my speed maps have been), I tend to have the exit in place way before the lay out of the entire map is finished. To avoid getting bogged own in background scenery that might be subject to change, a lot of my areas either have windows with nothing behind them or blank walls that can then be expanded with vistas, greebling or game play oriented structures. This tends to imply a detailing pass either after a room has been done and the connections to it are built, or after the whole map is done.

I've experimented with pre-made non-linear areas that are dropped into a map (most notably everything past the valley in CC4 MAP07), but I think that approach led to an area with a lot more padding and less structure than I'd normally make.

That's amazing, Soundblock! D:

I also do sketching before trying anything in Doom Builder. I always get problems with the scale (sometimes things get too large, but more often everything feels too small lol). If I'm building a mapset, I try to build the levels in 'paralel', though. I do first the sketch of all maps (5, for example), then start building geometry on doom builder of all maps, then texturing, then placing enemies and making adjustments. It is a lot slower process and takes a while to get something playable, though.