Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Reverie

map05 fda

enjoyable level slightly spoiled by the tightrope finale, which although it makes for a good demo was very nerve wracking!

map06 fda

some exciting traps (YK room, teleporter room) ruined by slightly puzzling progression and a really lacklustre finale: running around some right angled corridors holding down fire and then a trapped & telegraphed AV

map07 fda

starts off well as i forgot it was a Dead Simple map, then gets boring when you have to clean up the mancubi, then got a bit more spicy with the spiders at the end. still boring.

Map 05: substance

Quite simple level, it doesn't have that much going in it other than the last big arena. The blue armor comes in handy since the level is full of hitscanners and health is a bit sparse.

Map 06: sledgehammer

This level reminds me a bit of map03 but this time it has a lot more interesting stuff going on with the small puzzles and finding  the keys. There are some quite obvious influences from different stock maps (map24 with that pipewall/console area and map25 with the cage area). This is the first level where I decided to start using saves.

Map 07: Lazarus

The very first chaingunner is especially nasty without mouse look. With pistol start you have just barely enough ammo to get by until you hit the main arena. Once you get the weapons it unfortunately becomes another dead simple 2.0. At least the spider fight was fun.

Map 08: Triplet II

I really liked this map, you start in a hub and get to choose the order you go through the level. There are some really nice and creative puzzles here, the teleport puzzle took me a while but I managed to brute force through it eventually. I also grabbed the invul secret too early only to realise there was cybie fight 3 minutes later.

MAP08: It was rather hard in some parts, the level is long and you don't have so much armor while it's plenty of hitscanners around. Valkiriforce here pulls off some homages to Jim Flynn and it does that very well in some parts. Most notable is the the colored teleports puzzle, the solution is hinted on the four pillars near the BK though the corpes of the revenants will hide the hints. And the whole YK section as well with its unusal elevator and the green and silver structure of pillars.

MAP08 Triplet II

This is one of the most fun levels to actually describe, due to how it is all laid out. It's an unofficial sequel to a Flynn classic, the original Triplet from Enigma, which admittingly I have not seen, plus a MIDI that shows its colors as yet another E1M1 folly. But it's a hub map, though quite a long one.

Explore the hub a bit, or jump right in. There's an SSG at the hub for pistol starters, and not a whole lot of opposition. Continuous players will just jump in the portal of choice. For me, let's start with the red. This one is actually quite straightforward, climbing up a complex with a lot of enemies. Most of the secrets are stationed in this area, and there's even a helpful weapon depot. Fun, although reckless playing can hurt.

The yellow key area takes the longest, got a switch-controlled elevator for a number of floors, gotta find the right one for the right place, due to it actually being linear. The key is easy enough to grab. Figuring out how to open the next door behind the yellow one takes a bit of work, luckily a hint was provided. And then there's this big open area with unshootable enemies in the center, creating a huge staircase where they become active as you climb to the top. Then through some sky hall with imps, then the final area, hard with the mid-tiers and all. And somehow still not done as we wheel back to the elevator.

The blue key area actually ends up being the shortest, but that's only if you figured out the puzzle quickly, and I did. First off, memorize the color of the four pads before getting the key, then some rolling around the rim before getting to the actual puzzle, and then some final area that's quite difficult due to mid-tiers, also don't forget to shoot the towers, Commander Keens are in them.

The hub area has that SSG, which isn't too difficult to find, gotta find a terminal though. Also ride its pole and shoot a light in the corner to access a secret room. For the OTHER pillars, there's secret switches throughout the level (one of which involves shooting a demon face) to lower each one. Admittingly, I hate having to ride the three respective lifts, fight a chaingunner, then use a key switch only to see another switch behind it. I hate these kind of switches because they screw up good runs sometimes.

MAP08: Triplet II

UV/Pistol start/No saves

Deaths: 1 mix of wall and a rocket of mine

I wonder where's the first Triplet, if there is one. Anyway, quite an enjoyable big non-linear map. The hub is cool and you can get your weapons early. Whatever way one choose it's going to be fine for ammo collecting, including plasma rifles, and I went blue-yellow-red for no particular reason. The first section is indeed my favourite part, the setpieces demand moving around avoiding missiles and stuff, and some infighting to preserve ammo (if you are conservative of course). Puzzling intensifies, in the blue key umm, let's call it dimension, there's an interesting sequence with teleporters that require one's attention and memory. I remember the very first time not knowing what to do, until I brought to mind the sequence to lower the blue key. Something similar at the yellow key dimension, the elevator is signed with arrows and there's a picture of where to go next after you flip a switch (that looks like a secret switch though...), and then well the post-platforming with fodders is my least favourite part, since you can be infinite height-ed by the baron and, falling down while enemies are there can cost your life. There's this soulsphere on a crate that took me a while (and a couple of recordings ended with rage quits) to figure the correct way to grab it. And last but not least the red key dimension, this one with a bit more straightforward paths. There are two secrets lifts, possibly shortcuts, except they take to some enemies right on your face, so just tag them don't take the lifts. Actually I found some secrets not useful at all, apart from the lifts, there's a cabin with three chaingunners and nothing else inside. But there are also some interesting secrets, such as those goodies in the hub you have to lower via switches in each dimension. In the demo I forgot to grab the backpack earlier, but in my previous runs I did it, not that there wasn't much difference... As always, iwad-ish midis, this one sounds a bit like E1M1 to me and also reminds me to a midi from Perdition's Gate, can't say which one at this moment, the thing is that I liked it, as well as the map overall, point.

50:34 | 100% Kills | 83% Items | 54% Secrets

I remember disliking this one, and now that I hear it's a Jim Flynn homage, that explains quite a lot. (I absolutely loathe Jim Flynn levels.) It's not as bad as I remembered, probably because I vaguely remembered a number of the puzzles. I went blue->yellow->red. The blue teleporter puzzle is the main thing I recalled, though the mechanism by which the puzzle is "solved" (quite clever, actually) took me a minute to figure out. The yellow key elevator puzzle probably gave me the most trouble the last time, but went pretty smoothly this time. (In general, I still hate elevator puzzles.) The part that stumped me for the longest here was actually getting out of the blue key area. WTF. Took me probably 5 minutes of wandering around humping every wall in sight, getting ready to ragequit and hit up the wiki, when I noticed the single barrel atop a pillar. Ridiculous. Favorite part of the map? The yellow key staircase is very cool to see, and fun to march up guns blazing. (I took out the overhead baron early on by sniping him from fairly low on the steps.) Also I feel I should mention the MIDI was highly irritating; getting frustrated with puzzles, and that driving beat did not help at all.

MAP07: Lazarus

100% kills, 1/2 secrets

Mammas, don't let your babies grow up to make Dead Simple remakes.

Not much to say that hasn't been said. 64-wide corridors into a tepid Dead Simple setup. I will say that the dickish first chaingunner took enough out of me that I had to make a mad dash to the weapons and items in the middle of the manc area, which at least provided some excitement. But after that it's manc turret clearing and a really boring arachnatron shooting gallery - there's literally one chokepoint and the ones in the wings are asleep! It's not even as good as the original!

If I could go back in time, I would go back and make id create non-map/non-monster specific "do this action when x monster dies" triggers so we could've avoided all these goddamn MAP07 redoes over the years.

On 7.01.2018 at 10:10 AM, Capellan said:

I've played ahead through map10 and I am going to bow out this month.  Not a fan of the WAD thus far and don't expect the design philosophy will change enough to make me feel differently about it later on.

Why not revive the thread "Adam blathers about WADs" then?

Before I get to anything else I'd like to echo @Salt-Man Z's sentiment that the driving, fast-paced, guitar-heavy music chosen for this letter is an ill fit to its methodical and often puzzle-centric gameplay, endlessly pushing the player forward with goads of "faster, faster!" when sometimes all you want to do is stop, look around, draw a deep breath, and not deal with the distorted rock music pounding at your ears.

That aside, with its hubspoke layout I can somewhat see this as an echo to Tricks and Traps just as the preceding map paid homage to Dead Simple, but with each spoke of the map forming its own remote and disconnected adventure, it feels a bit more like three levels squished together into a single slot, each presenting its own unique challenges but ultimately linked together only in the most artificial as ways.  I think honestly I'd have enjoyed this one more as three separate levels, with each puzzle, encounter, mechanism, and trap occupying a relatively greater part of that smaller level's shorter running time; as it is, the clever ideas on display here suffer for the presence of so many, too many, other clever ideas, with an end result that many otherwise appealing and inventive bits of design blur together under the constant barrage of new input and the growing weight of fatigue.  The sequenced teleporters that provide an exit from the blue key node are probably one of the map's more memorable moments... except they aren't really the exit from that node, and I found my positive impression of their cleverness giving way to dismay at a sense of still not being done with that corner of the map.  I ended up picking the order yellow > blue > red for my playthrough, though with the scale and complexity of each spoke/node I feel like each has to provide a viable adventure all on its own and thus ultimately can't be that heavily differentiated from the other paths.

Map 08 : Triplet II

783px-Reverie_MAP08_map.png

One of my favourite level of the mapset for now. There are many reasons that why I love this map : Non-linear , adventure-focused , creative puzzles , traps , lot of secrets a layout that makes you want to explore...
There are too many things to say. I will give a list of my favourites in this map :

1) Yellow key area

- The main lift which you must raise or lower in order to acces to the different rooms of the area.
- Small enemies placed on sectors that go up stairs after pressing a button.
- 3D bridge !
- The path to take to go to the giant metal room.

2) Red key Area

- The cute litte passage in the rock at the beginning
- The unexpected fight with the cyberdemon in the building (Fortunaly , he's very easy to kill)
-The horizontal sliding door at the building's entrance
- The corridors after you killed the cyberdemon , the level globally contains very nice details.

3) Blue Key area

- The puzzle of the four colored teleporters
- The marble faces which instantly reveal a monster when you approach them

The hub is very well done too . When I grabbed the megasphere , I was expecting a very dangerous fight or something else but it was just some chaingunners lol.

MAP09: Fracture

UV/Pistol start/No saves

Deaths: 0

Back to compact layouts, this is a short nice map with not much to talk about. If I recall correctly, there's a cacodemon instead of a pain elemental on HMP, which you can't simply punch it like the potato. I liked the final part with the zombiemen and archviles, it's always funny to see so many cramped zombies pew pew-ing each other. Umm, yeah, it went fast, kind of a filler map in a positive way, since next map will be enormous compared to this one.

map09: Fracture
zdoom2.8.1, uvmax, pistol start, no saves, first time played

Straightforward short map that requires some care due to limited ammo early on but is not notable otherwise, contrary to the next map that is a real humdinger.

Map 09 : Fracture

While the previous map had a joyful atmosphere , that map contrasts frankly with its spooky ambiance. Furthermore , this map is much shorter and difficult.
The bestiary isn't very various , you will meet mainly chaingunners , revenants and mancubus. The level is quite hard as long as you have not found the rocket launcher. Mancubus and revenants prevent you to easily stroll in the map  and therefore you must force the passage but some chaingunners are viciously hidden to kill you quickly. I liked this level after all because the layout is non-linear , so you can use multiple ways at your disposal to dodge monsters' attacks. By contrast ,the end of the level is very easy. The bunch of zombiemen and the two viles too much occupied to resurrect the previously killed zombies may not cause a lot of troubles.

I agree with galileo , a nice filler map after a long and complex level.

698px-Reverie_MAP09_map.png

map08 fda

so much of this was highly tedious; most of the puzzles involve falling down and backtracking (i guess if youre not dumb it might be quicker), and the combat is circle-strafe, cleanup. not fun.

map09 fda

the puzzle in this map is a more palatable 'where the hell are all my weapons'. enjoyed this more but still a bit of a downer after a solid m5/m6

MAP09: The pistol start is quite hard since there's not so much ammo initially and more importantly you have to understand how you can finally pick the good weapons, the groups of revenants and mancubi were a good deterrent to roam freely and to progress. It was rather creepy in some parts: the view of the dark courtyard with the pillars, the room with the blinking lights. Cool daunting song, it sounds like it's based on "Waltz of the demons".

10 hours ago, vdgg said:

Why not revive the thread "Adam blathers about WADs" then?

I'll probably either use the time for mapping and/or use it to play 2016 Doom for the first time.  Or I might use it to be a terrible person while playing Crusader Kings 2.  Though at least in my most recent game of that I haven't murdered any of my grandchildren. :)

MAP09 Fracture

Again balancing long maps with short ones like this. This wouldn't be out of place in Doom Core, has the metal stylings of a Doom Core map. Doesn't feel like a whole lot was memorable about it though, other than revenants warping from a secret and me missing a crucial switch at one point (behind the caco cage, fuck their large corpses, I can't see past them). The things on the teleport pillars are cool too.

100% kills, 6/11 secrets

Thankfully after the turd of last map this one was a lot more fun, though I am a sucker for a good hub setup and like puzzles. Which, actually aren't all that puzzle-y, the blue section has a good one, yellow is mainly just a switch hunt chain (the elevator doesn't count as a puzzle, sorry Salt-Man Z), and red doesn't really have a puzzle, just a cyber fight. But each area had its own flavor and I liked a lot of the details, especially the hub room and the hallway to the AV in the red key leg. The giant staircase cube in the yellow leg area was cool too. And I always love maps with a ton of secrets, this one had a lot of fun ones to find, and I still missed half.

If there's a downside, I'd say that combat still remains uninspired on the whole. There's a whoooole lotta Clydes in this map, and I can't help but feel Valk uses them so much because they kinda create their own gameplay and can just be plopped down without much thought. Most everything else pretty much just feels like rote room or turret clearing. Special mention goes to the mancs in the demon cubes in the blue leg, the first one was a good surprise but after awhile it got old. Though that did make me forget about the color combo for the puzzle, so, maybe that was the point.

I also agree that the MIDI is ill-fitting for the map, had me guns blazing into that blue key area :P

3 hours ago, Magnusblitz said:

yellow is mainly just a switch hunt chain (the elevator doesn't count as a puzzle, sorry Salt-Man Z)

Yeah, okay, I guess. I mean, it's still a ride-this-lift-to-the-right-floors-in-the-right-order thing. (Granted, the right order is generally, well, in order.) But my perception of it is definitely colored by my first encounter with it years ago, when I thought it would be more puzzle-y than it ended up being.

14:03 | 100% Everything

Now this sure is a map, yep. Fun to blaze through on continuous; doubt I would have enjoyed myself much on pistol-start (which is why I don't!) I actually was a bit irritated with all those exit doors in a row, like stop faking me out dude, but then it actually ended suddenly on a nondescript little staircase and I'm like, "That's it?" I will say that the titular fracture across the green armor room looked pretty rad--when I could see it; I could really have done without the headache-inducing strobe effect there. I actually found the exit at the 9 minute mark, the other 5 was secret-hunting (including unleashing a secret pack of pinkies and revvies what)

Crispy Doom - UV Pistol Starts - Saves

Map07

Pretty normal dead simple map. It's not bad as far as dead simple maps go but it's not really notable.

Map08

More interesting map here. The map's primarily divided into three different wings each with a different thing or puzzle to solve. I liked the yellow key area the best out of the three, and got a little irritated at the blue key part because for some reason I just sucked at it. Also, we get a rockin' e1m1 remix too!

1 hour ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Yeah, okay, I guess. I mean, it's still a ride-this-lift-to-the-right-floors-in-the-right-order thing. (Granted, the right order is generally, well, in order.) But my perception of it is definitely colored by my first encounter with it years ago, when I thought it would be more puzzle-y than it ended up being.

Yeah I think the fact that it's pretty much "visit the floors in order" that makes it feel not too much like a puzzle for me, so much as just a different way of creating a hub of doors. The tricky part is figuring out to return there and go to the highest part (diagonal hallway) I think, only reason I realized it was looking at the minimap. In retrospect I also got lucky with the barrel in the column bit as I shot it by mistake while taking out the nearby chaingunner, not realizing it was part of the progression.

100% kills, 1/2 secrets

This is one I can see playing quite differently between pistol start and continuous, as here the more dangerous enemies (mancs and revs) are placed in troublesome knots that serve as effective roadblocks for a pistol starters, forcing them to scramble around the other hallways of the map to look for munitions. I'd figure that continuous players can simply blast 'em with last map's arsenal and walk through no problem. I actually like this use of the monsters here, much better than the simple meat and turrets to clear out they've been in the last few maps. It's short but makes its mark I think.

This one's a welcome change of pace after the sprawling scale and nigh-overwhelming barrage of different ideas that define the preceding map, presenting as it does a compact and somewhat spooky techbase that bears the scars of demonic invasion.  It's more complex than its modest footprint might suggest, full of lifts and teleporters and passages that double back on themselves to disorient.  I feel, though, that I've less to say about this than the larger MAP08, just because there's not so much here, though @Magnusblitz is right that access to the preceding map's arsenal can defang some encounters; I do like the balance between tougher encounters with mancubi and revenants, and other occasions on which a door flips open to reveal a squad of zombies or sergeants just waiting to be mown down in a veritable cacophany of death screams.

map10: The Tech Towers
zdoom2.8.1, uvmax, pistol start, no saves, first time played

Valkiriforce sure is mixing it up for us as he finally takes the gloves off and smacks us across the face with them. An epic map. This one involves several high buildings and a floor full of arachnotrons and mancubuses designed to make your life hell. It is well worth visiting the floor early on as there is quite a bit of ammo and to clear out the noisy sniping riffraff down there. You'll need to find 6 keycards/skullkeys to get to the end of this beast. Finding all the secrets is well worth it as they provide a fair amount of ammo and health. Make sure to save a soulsphere or megasphere for the nasty teleport out to the courtyard where you fight a nasty battle for the yellow keycard. The map has several archviles to deal with, some easy to handle but some spawning out of sight in areas you've littered with enemy carcasses. Not pretty. Even cybie comes to the party near the end of the map. The icing on the cake is the ferocious imp, faithfully guarding the map exit! After suffering a grizzly death early on I decided to practice sections of this map before putting together a uvmax. Despite the practice I still got surprised by the hellknight trap and nearly ruined my uvmax but fortunately I was able to recover.

On 1/6/2018 at 9:46 PM, Salt-Man Z said:

MAP07: Lazarus

16:03 | 100% Everything

The level name made me worry there were going to be a bunch of viles here. (Phew!)

haha. take that for some resurrection! would have been a nice pun ;)

one weekend and i'm already some maps behind  :(

MAP06 - “Sledgehammer”

some good and some less suspenseful parts here.

i liked the tnt-styled environment with the rusty metal walls and techlamps everywhere (m08 "metal"?) with some references to the tnt maps. for example, the square room with the yk pillar has its equivalent in tnt's "mount pain", where you reach it via that unspeakable slime canal. the teleporters with the gunners seem to come from the map with the teleport lab in its beginning, and the outside area with the revs on a bunker reminds me of quarry. blowing up the barrels there in their face was a blast (heh), and the menacing low droning another excellent musical choice in my ears. lots of chaingunners here, but also a blur sphere and some satisfying ssg play.

the part with the chaingunners and knights stopped my a bit because of how i played the map with mouselook. i missed the shootable switch behind that chaingunner on a pillar because i shot him from below. that's a funny reason for searching how to complete a map because the door to the blue key won't open. certainly not the mapper's fault.

the later part of that map however could be solved with a healthy dose of lift camping, while the revs and gunners at the yk killed each other, and the chaingunner ambush at the teleporters had one easy solution: get into the hole with the first switch and gun down everything that moves in front of it. also, the very rectagular last part reminded me too much of mount pain to be really enjoyable.

MAP07 - “Lazarus”

the classic mancs + arachs formula here, so it's a rather standard classic map. imo, the short quest for the blue key should have been left out in favor of accessing the arena directly, if this gameplay is desired. the former humans on the outer ring don't do much to keep the player from executing the corner-camping mancs. meanwhile, the manc+rev pairs in the corners of the arena will have sorted out their private issues, leaving weakened survivors, so one can proceed quickly to the outer ring with its arachnotrons and door camp them to death. so, not a very engaging play here.

MAP08 - “Triplet II”

come on, it's late and i have to get some sleep, i'm absolutely not in the mood right now to write essays about confusing maps with switch puzzles, as these cost me enough time already. sorry but running around wondering through which tele i should go and what plate i should step on is not my cup of tea. also idmus06 because that music is way too hectic to listen to it for all of such an drawn-out map.

MAP10 The Tech Towers

Locked and Loaded, how fitting for a track and works fine for this map. And another uberly large one like MAP08, there are four of these kinds of maps, we went through two now, and it looks like it will be five levels before we reach the other two. So what is Tech Towers? Well first tower has some tricky challenges, but gets conquered quickly, the next one is very short, jumping to the next one reveals that there's tons of stairs, oh wait, we aren't playing something like The Living End here. Yes, this one is not linear, it's pretty good actually. Roaming around ground floor can find lots of those Dead Simple monsters around, nasty things, and then there's the aspect of Eternal Doom where all six keys are needed for something in non-Boom format.

So up to climbing and scrounging for keys on these towers, because ground floor can only provide so much. If you know the secrets, at least four can be grabbed before the three-minute mark, and the others come soon enough. Building the bridges in the blue door region (those blue textures inside are honestly ugly though) are cool. If I really have to complain, it's that gray brick section at the west end. Lots of backtracking, chaingunners, and then you reach the red keycard on that tarmac only to be greeted by lots of arachnotrons, mancubi, and chaingunners who most likely have woken up due to your presence and are blocking the damn door. That mini-fortress area kind of sucks too, because there's switches that can be hard to find there. The monster progression on the way to the yellow and red skull keys are cool though, except an arch-vile in the back of an open space is a terrifically terrible placement. Whatever, mild level otherwise.

MAP10: The Tech Towers

UV/Pistol start/2 saves

Deaths: 1

This one, good stressful memories. It's another big map with a lot of height, Memento Mori vibes (you know, maps 26, 27, 28 or so), and yeah like NuMetal said it's not linear, but progression is about one key after the other until you get the exit, so it is straightforward, just a bit confusing at times. The arrows help a lot on where to go next, that is while you're on tops of the towers, but you need to fall on the ground to find more ammo and kill those pesky enemies, especially cacos. I'd recommend grabbing the early secret backpack (see in my demo, hehe), even though there's another one later, this way you can fill in ammo finding some other juicy secrets. Also because backtrack is unavoidable sometimes in this map, because once you raise all those bridges you can't just use them as lifts to get back, there are teleporters for that. So in general combat is getting more spicy, adding a few archviles and many other ambushes. My personal standout is the maze with switches, it's not any obtuse if you use your ears well, and there's that archvile that needs to die as soon as possible before it gets to the baron corpse. I also liked the blue bricks tower, that recolored texture looks really cool imo. Some people don't like this kind of maps, well that's what Reverie offers, and it's not going to get any easier from now on :P Overall, pleasant map.

During my recording some things went wrong (the HKs built a wall and didn't let me go, also forgot the megaarmor in the blue tower) and others went better (RNG at the start was by my side), so it's a bit poor at times but I don't care, it's a success after all.

Crispy Doom - UV Pistol Starts - Saves

map09

Fun little level, a bit shorter than the last one. There's quite a few enemies that you don't really have the resources to fight when they show up, but the level is interconnected enough that you can still get to where you need to go (which will eventually get you better armed). Most of the battles aren't too interesting, with the one in the central room being what sticks in my mind. At the end, after killing a bunch of zombiemen, I was like "...and now for an arch vile exit." I was rather surprised when it turned out to actually be one, proving that being predictable is sometimes the least predictable thing you can do (or maybe I'm just dumb).

map10

I actually bumped the super shotgun before I even tried hitting the switch. I guess that makes me a cheater doesn't it? This level is one that constantly breaks expectations. First you think it'll be a techbase map, then you realise it's actually a city map, then you realise that it isn't really a city map at all but almost all of the action takes place indoors. The biggest surprise of all however, is stepping through the yellow teleporter and immediately being greeted from an area wildly different from the rest of the level. Overall, my favorite part of the map was the part leading to the red key with the raising bridges and the maze.

Map 10 : The Tech Towers

800px-Reverie_MAP10_map.png

A fantastic level to close the first episode of Reverie. This map is one of the longest and also  my favourite along with map 08.

I loved nearly everything in this map  although the first rooms are quite weird because of instant-lift abuse. I also thought we will have an another cramped level but not at all in fact ! The progression is linear , you must collect 6 keys in a determined order but ammo and health are quite scarce as usual , therefore you are likely to explore the level to search some secrets.  As previously said , there is a lot of height and the player explores a lot of tech towers interconnected with bridges or platforms that he must jump on  without falling. However ,  you can also explore the bottom part of the level , no annoying damaging floor will kill you but be careful ,some arachnotrons and mancubus keep this large zone.
This level gave me the Requiem vibe , maybe because of the music but also because the navigation in the buildings is very narrow compared to the exterior. Some buildings contain nasty traps , I barely died at the blue key's trap and others that I can't exactly remember.
The layout is very complex but teleporters should help you to find easily your way.

My quick review of the first episode :

I like this wad but to be honest , a lot of levels are very generic and so  , few maps are really memorable. (Map 08 and 10) . Some maps are too much linear to be really interesting  or  too much cramped although there are interesting traps , an old-school but pleasant detailling , a fun gameplay in general.
I really like the new textures that perfectly fit  with original doom's textures and the music is very rhythmic as in a lot of old-school wads. I just hope the future maps will be more complex to show more of valkiriforce's mapping skills. :)

MAP10: Cool and long journey. This level remindes me a lot of Memento Mori II MAP27 and MAP28. I'm not sure about the rows on the floors, even in the previous maps they were unnecessary, here I would have highlighted that lift in another way (mabye with lighting, or different colors instead of having grey over grey).