Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Combat Shock 2

January, 2018

te8v1Ro.png
> Download Combat Shock 2

> 2018 Season Standings (pending)

Leaderboard

1. [2] Survived [3:38:18] Killer5 - MrZzul puts on a clinic and sets the standard for our Ironman patrons. Barely broke a sweat, too!
  2. [2] (4-?-?)Ancalagon - Stifled by successive arch-vile attacks. Like with last January, got his weapon selection messed up. (DNF)
  3. [2] (3-4-5)tourniquet - Saved the most disappointing death 'til last: getting frisked by a spider while waiting for a lift to lower. Ouch!
  4. [3] (3-4-5)RjY - Prepare Me Plenty (my pun game is off, today).
  5. [1] (3-3-4)Anima Zero - If you can't have your megaspheres and eat them too... then bloody well eat them! GJ ANIMA.
  6. [3] (2-4-5): Alfonzo - Consolidated my remarkable ability to catch the uncatchable at Boiling Point.
  7. [2] (2-3-3)rodster - Woah, that's some fast Doomin'. A marvelous interception of a cyberdemon rocket as he reaches out for freedom.
  8. [1] (2-2-4): NaZa - Pulls the trigger early and opens the flood gates. It was all downhill from there.
  9. [2] (2-2-3)cannonball - The dinosaurs were wiped out by A) a meteor strike; B) this many revenant rockets. Pick one.
  10. [2] (2-2-3)Dragonfly - It's B. The answer is B.
  11. [1] (2-2-2)SSGmaster - Wave your runs in the air like you just don't care.
  12. [1] (1-4-4)Suitepee - After a classic opener, gets his shit together. Long enough to give up when the slaughter kicks in proper, anyway.
  13. [2] (1-2-3)JudgeDeadd - There may be one or two boltholes in Combat Shock 2, but this... this isn't one of them.
  14. [1] (1-2-2)guineu - With his both seeing and avoiding the HNTR-only megasphere, I can only assume that guineu hasn't taken his insulin.
  15. [1] (1-1-5)NoisyVelvet - Textbook example of what happens when Moses steps back into the sea just as the Egyptians decide to cross.
  16. [1] (1-1-3)Jaws In Space - Plastered face-on by a cyberdemon rocket.
  17. [1] (1-1-3)42PercentHealth - I agree, Quake teleporters are definitely superior. Cyber wins big!
  18. [1] (1-1-1)Crusader No Regret - I'd be hard-pressed to avoid making another Regretful pun, here.
  19. [1] (1-1-?)Eris Falling - Too disgusted with his performance to even attempt HNTR. Cat gets the chocolates. 2018 off to a great start (DNF)

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

...And now for something a little different. In January 2018 the DWIronman League dies to @dannebubinga's Combat Shock 2, -complevel 9 (Boom (strict)).

For most of its short history, DWIronman has sported challenges that fit snugly within a reasonable range of difficulties. Easy sets like Mapgame have been followed up with more harrowing stuff like Vae Victus. A balance between vying for speed and outright survival has been sought. The center of this range, however, has always been squarely south of the Doom community's true middle, meaning that the really dastardly shit has been left off the table. Quite simply, under the existing format, the idea of not allowing blind players the opportunity to acclimatize and gain a foothold before getting swamped by monsters never struck me as fair. This is a monthly venture and if your run only lasts 10 seconds, well... that's just a damn waste.

So here's a new format called 1CC or "1 Credit Clear" (thanks CapnClever) that I'll be wheeling out when the League decides upon sets that are considered to be immediately difficult. It's designed to give the famed slaughter WADs an airing...:

Record a demo/video starting from the first map in UV as per usual. If you die, record a second demo pistol-starting from the same map you died on, this time on HMP. If you die a second time, drop down further to HNTR. There is no subsequent drop-off: a HNTR death will signal the end of your run. Times are cumulative. You will be required to provide all the recorded demos in a zip file. Your ranking will be determined by the highest relevant skill setting as it compares with other players, followed by time. Only players who win through on UV will have "survived" according to the leader board. See the post below for some examples.

Potential Game-stoppers and Bugs

• None documented yet.

prboom-plus -file c-shock2 -complevel 9 -warp -skill 4/3/2 -record my_demo

Spoiler
  • One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom or Eternity), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No other wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If your operating system fails during the run such that the stream/recording becomes irretrievable, you are permitted a second or subsequent attempt. Technical difficulties during streams or recordings that present as merely an impediment (i.e. the run is still observable, in the case of a stream) do not count as system failures. In these instances, you should save the game, if possible, and resume when the issue has been resolved.
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • You are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you scout only the first level of a WAD you're otherwise unfamiliar with and die in the first level, you should list your run as [3] instead of [2]. If you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I can't remember the details of any one area in a way that would offer an advantage over truly blind players.

2. This is a familiar run. I have played or watched the level/set being played before — even if it's only one area — and can remember enough details to have an advantage over blind players.

3. This is a prepared run. I played the WAD to some extent after it was announced for this month's Ironman but before declaring an official run

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades(winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)
End Game & End Point (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update.

EDIT: So! To clarify for all you regulars who may or may not sweep past the OP: Runs for harder WADs like this one here will follow a unique set of rules known as 1cc. You get three lives — one for each difficulty leaving off from where you died. From the OP:

Record a demo/video starting from the first map in UV as per usual. If you die, record a second demo pistol-starting from the same map you died on, this time on HMP. If you die a second time, drop down further to HNTR. There is no subsequent drop-off: a HNTR death will signal the end of your run. Times are cumulative. You will be required to provide all the recorded demos in a zip file. Your ranking will be determined by the highest relevant skill setting as it compares with other players, followed by time. Only players who win through on UV will have "survived" according to the leader board.

Some examples of how players would be ranked under this rule set (and an illustrative pic with hypothetical corpses thanks to NIH):

1. Player A dies on MAP02 on all difficulty settings. Player B suffers a UV death (skill "(4)") on MAP01 but then continues on to survive the whole set on (3). Player A ranks higher. UV takes priority.
  2. Player A suffers a (4) death on MAP02 and a (3) + (2) death on MAP04. Player B suffers a (4) death on MAP02, a (3) death on MAP04 and a (2) death on MAP05. Player B ranks higher. UV and HMP being equal, HNTR calls it.
  3. Player A, B and C reach MAP02 on (4). A and B die on MAP02 on all difficulties, while Player C survives on (2) to finally die on MAP03. Player A reached the map faster than Player B. Player A ranks higher than Player B but lower than Player C. It doesn't matter how fast C was in this instance.

IMLboard.png?width=884&height=663

Thankfully, if you overlook this you've every chance to carry on once you figure out why everyone's doing "better" than you.

Godspeed, ironmen tinmen cardboardmen!

Edited by Alfonzo : Fancy pic!

Interesting rule for this one. Should be a fun way to start the new year.

Well the 2017 Britbowl still needs a tie-breaker to decide the ultimate winner, but the 2018 Britbowl is undergoing a slight change; it's now been extended to 3 people! This year's iteration will be contested between myself, an_mutt and............Dragonfly, who wanted in on the action a few weeks ago. So who knows, maybe a 4-4-4 tie will happen at the end of the year, or perhaps an outright winner will be claimed this time.

Would that same system have been used in Disturbia if it existed, or is Disturbia 'too easy' for that? 

hnnngggg combat shock 2

I might join just to die horribly three times on MAP01 because I love the hell out of this set.

Now quick question - how do i prove, that i am using settings required, when making demo in gzdoom(neither of recommended ports work on my pc for whatever reason)?

Display your compatibility settings in-game from the options screen for each segment of video recording. I check the beginning of each video to make sure those settings are there.

The December thread still needs updating with a couple of runs, including yours, so if you're concerned that you've done something horribly wrong... I've yet to check out the string of vids that I saw on your Twitch channel. If you didn't display the settings properly, well, it's not such a big deal for a first-timer. Your dodgy connection is a slightly bigger concern at this point! Consider doing demos instead of Twitch streams if it's usually that choppy. Too many segmented bits and pieces and I'll have to think twice about letting it stand.

Also, welcome to Ironman!

Thanks! About the choppines - it was both my connection and family interrupting me most of time. I'm just concerned about showing settings when doing demos - it doesn't really show it on them... I just must make demos in gzdoom - it doesn't lag for me at all

Ah, I'd assumed you meant videos as opposed to actual demos in GZDoom. Compatibility options indeed won't be displayed in the demo itself, if that's what you're trying to do, which is partly why it isn't recommended that you use that port to this end.

Have you tried glboom+ instead of prboom+? It's listed alongside Eternity as a possible alternative. I can put someone on the case to try and help you out in finding a solution, if neither of those work, as I'm not very familiar with the engine when it comes to confirming/establishing comp settings. 

10 minutes ago, Archi said:

I'm not going to lower the difficulty settings if I die.

That's understandable. Play the way you want to play! I can't include it in the OP except for at the bottom as an aside, maybe, though. It'll just disrupt things, otherwise. You're happy with that, I hope?

Of course Krypto, joining Ironman a bit more consistent was actually my only goal for 2018. I just need to get rid of my hangover ;)

14 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

I challenge @Steve D to a keyboarders only duel!

About time you showed up! Let's see if either of us can get out of Map01. ;)

Just now, Steve D said:

About time you showed up! Let's see if either of us can get out of Map01. ;)

I'm going in blind, so I expect not :D

6 minutes ago, Jaws In Space said:

I'm going in blind, so I expect not :D

Well, we get 3 chances. I'm definitely going to practice. I might practice 2 or 3 times for the early maps before I do the rest blind. Oh, wait . . . I'll never survive the early maps. ;D

You can do whatever you like but there's only way you're getting on the board, Mr. Falling :)