Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath666

[released] Doomworld Mega Project 2018 (beat your own map)

22k monsters will automatically rule the map out for coop compatibility. 

It's good to consider coop compatibility as it can there is still a significant community that play wads in coop online.

49 minutes ago, damo2k said:

22k monsters will automatically rule the map out for coop compatibility. 

It's good to consider coop compatibility as it can there is still a significant community that play wads in coop online.

I don't play coop online, so this question comes from that position of ignorance. Why would that many enemies rule the map out? I would think that a map with a large number of enemies would work well for coop, given the greater number of players. This is, of course, provided that the number of enemies doesn't cause the level to slow to a crawl over coop.

27 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

I don't play coop online, so this question comes from that position of ignorance. Why would that many enemies rule the map out? I would think that a map with a large number of enemies would work well for coop, given the greater number of players. This is, of course, provided that the number of enemies doesn't cause the level to slow to a crawl over coop.

Pretty much yeah, the servers and clients will lag pretty heavily. Player numbers will increase this by a factor. Just take a read through here to see how it behaved in ZDaemon: 

31 minutes ago, DanielAlexander said:

Starting to make my map for this project :)

dmp1.png.59dd34a9977b2f85c421455ce41b1ecf.png

That Ashwall texture on the sky reminds me very much of Quake for some reason.

I need to say, the sky in my screenshot looks a bit weird, it looks better in-game :)

On 2/14/2018 at 12:56 PM, TimeOfDeath666 said:

Walter, there are a couple problems with your submission: 1) your demo isn't a boom format demo, and 2) your demo desyncs for me around the 3:33 mark.

For boom format demos you need to specify compatibility level 9 (-complevel 9). And to avoid desyncs you can't edit your wad after you record your demo. If you can record a new demo in boom format on the exact version of the wad you already submitted, I'll add your submission.

I still think this demo requirement needs to be removed. I have no doubt you'd struggle to get maps in this year compared to previous years because who cares about PERFECTION because Doomworld Mega Project has always been a fun project. Also the bad thing about demos is that they mess up if recorded with a different version, or if a different source port tries to play them beck.

On the subject of demos: With the recent rise in popularity of the Eternity Engine, is it possible to use it for recording Boom-format maps or other stuff? I strongly dislike -shorttics while recording in -cl9 using PRBoom+.

ZDoom/GZDoom have been supported in the Doom World Megaproject for the past few years, why is it changing now? Aren't they still some of the most widely used source ports in the community, or are people finally moving on to other ones?

The demo requirement is only for this year's project and is only to show the mapper beating their map. The quality of the demo doesn't matter at all, it doesn't have to be a speedrun or anything, it's just used for verification purposes.

zdoom was banned only for this year because of demo compatibility issues.

Spectre01, if you record a boom format demo in eternity, will it play back in prboom-plus? Otherwise, you could make a vanilla or limit-removing map and use -longtics with -complevel 2.

Edited by TimeOfDeath666

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:09 PM, pcorf said:

I still think this demo requirement needs to be removed. I have no doubt you'd struggle to get maps in this year compared to previous years because who cares about PERFECTION because Doomworld Mega Project has always been a fun project. Also the bad thing about demos is that they mess up if recorded with a different version, or if a different source port tries to play them beck.

I'd like to add that if a lot of people watch these demos, it will just kill the factor of playing through them blind because everyone will know what to expect.

33 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

I'd like to add that if a lot of people watch these demos, it will just kill the factor of playing through them blind because everyone will know what to expect.

Yes, but it is their choice to watch them.

I've never watched a map's demo before playing it.  To me, it would seem weird to do so because that's not how games work; always blind for me.  Though a small handful of people around these parts of town might tell you otherwise.  Maybe the lack of demos would "level the playing field" in some vague way for those treating the sum of Doom gameplay like a macro-scaled dick-measuring contest (which all things are, intrinsically, to some extent) but Doom is a diverse canvas of a game already, and has saves and stuff too, so it's lost in entropy.

After beating each map, it might be interesting to watch the demo for it to see how the mapper beats it.  I actually like that the demo has to be performed by mapper too, for a couple of reasons.  Even if a mapper has enough gameplay intuition to make maps that they can't beat, I imagine the quality being generally better if their doom playstyle directly translates to the map they are crafting.  It might also give the end compilation an interesting difficulty/playstyle progression, one with a steeper variance - low floor and high ceiling.  Some people are jaded to certain styles and prefer a flatter, tougher Ultra-Violence, but whatever.  It could make for a good ironman too.

6 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

The only person who has to, by necessity, was all the demos is @TimeOfDeath666. Anyone else that watches the demos is, as @damo2k wrote, choosing to watch them. The same argument can be made anytime someone posts a video of them finishing someone else's map (personally, I like to watch those, especially for the harder levels that are above my skill level). Again, you don't have to watch them.

Furthermore, as stated in the rules, the demo doesn't have to be a UV-Max speed run. The mapper only has to do enough to finish the map.

It's up to the mapper's discretion how much of the map is required to be visited to complete it. At one end of the spectrum is a map where you have to visit all sectors and get every item and all keys and hit every switch in order to finish the map. In this case, the demo would show everything (thus "ruining" the surprise). At the other end of the spectrum is a map with 6 keys, 1000 sectors, and 5000 monsters that starts you off in a room with a blue keycard, three unlocked doors, and a blue keycard door that has the exit switch behind it. So, in this case, a demo could show almost none of the level and still satisfy the demo on UV rule.

tekdoofus2_zpsylg3ky3e.png

nortpow2_zpsgoshkwn3.png

level name: Northern Powerhouse

author: credit me as Zan-zan-zawa-veia

complevel: 9

music: part of the UFO geoscape theme, orig. by Microprose, refurbished by me

one of those scavenger levels where you have to worship individual ammo clips and armour helmets

it is dark (idea is a sabotage mission vs a weird tech facility)

intended strictly as a single player level

thanks!

download (clumsy speed demo included)

18 hours ago, yakfak said:

"wad"

"Squeals in excitement"

And the maps i have checked in this thread so far, this looks like the most TOD dmp ever right now.

I don't like these new rules at all. For example why is demo compulsory thing? is should be optional for sure and why in today era is zdoom removed from suported format? It worked all years without problem so why?

4 minutes ago, Marlamir said:

I don't like these new rules at all. For example why is demo compulsory thing? is should be optional for sure and why in today era is zdoom removed from suported format? It worked all years without problem so why?

Go here. 

Here is my slaughter map submission 

-demo is included

Map name: Amide Linkage

Tested with: prboom+

compatibility : boom (complevel 9)

download and demo :Amidelinkage.zip

time taken : 1 day 

Sky texture used is stock doom texture , the firelava textures give a really nice hell-like effect 

Screenshot:

doom34.png.f48eea2a9dfbcdaea1137ba87921b630.png

Edited by CarboxylicAcids : Forgot to add difficulty settings

5 hours ago, CarboxylicAcids said:

Here is my slaughter map submission 

-demo is included

Map name: Amide Linkage

Tested with: prboom+

compatibility : boom (complevel 9)

download and demo :Amidelinkage.zip

time taken : 1 day 

Sky texture used is stock doom texture , the firelava textures give a really nice hell-like effect 

Screenshot:

doom34.png.f48eea2a9dfbcdaea1137ba87921b630.png

I will have to try this level out sometime.