Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath666

[released] Doomworld Mega Project 2018 (beat your own map)

8 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

While watching a -timedemo I noticed the "game saved" message popped up a few times. Saving in a demo isn't allowed in rule #1 :)

I've probably missed it. Then I will upload new demo. After a few tries, beating this map getting more easier.

P.S. @TimeOfDeath666 here is new link with updated demo.

Edited by riderr3

I wonder if it is actually a bug. There's no rule that says you can't have a one-time lift.

I remember seeing a playthrough of a level (I think it was by Aquarius199) where there was a lift out of an empty nukage pit, but it only worked once. So, if you jumped into it again, that was your punishment for being a moron.

Ultimately, the rule was ToD's way of trying to encourage people to test their own maps fully. Nothing wrong with that. So far, there's been 1 bug preventing a level from being maxable and a bug that may or may not be a bug. So far, not so bad.

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Oh look a bug! Too late, map submitted. Enjoy the rules L M A O

Oh look someone who doesn't test his own maps! Enjoy the consequences of your own acts L M A O

The pros and cons of this approach have already been discussed up and down quite a while back. No point in looping back through the same stuff several times over. If you don't like the rules, just don't participate.

Yeah in hindsight I wouldn't have normally posted such a snarky response. My week has been pretty damn awful so I generally shouldn't post while in this mindset.

That said...

2 hours ago, DanielAlexander said:

Oh look someone who doesn't test his own maps! Enjoy the consequences of your own acts L M A O

It's generally impossible / highly improbable that one person alone will spot all bugs. It takes people not directly invested in the map itself to play it in unintended ways to break things.

"Oh well they should have asked other people to test first"    ...haha sure, if you insist.

I think if you have enough time to make such a big map, you should have time to test it.

But, that things happens, we all make mistakes, I don't have a problem with that.

I was wondering something, amd I apologize if it has already been answered. Can we put our map here but say it's not an official release so people can test it, or when we post our map here, it's the official release? 

16 minutes ago, NaZa said:

I was wondering something, amd I apologize if it has already been answered. Can we put our map here but say it's not an official release so people can test it, or when we post our map here, it's the official release? 

It's official when you put it in this thread. No more fixing even if it's critical. 

13 hours ago, 7Soul said:

I found a bug, this lift went down and never came back up (after pressing the switch) https://imgur.com/a/V0nPH1T

I've checked that lift and no see any bugs. (in GZDoom, PrBoom+ both cl9 and default comp levels). There are SR and WR lines which should work properly.

I've used that lift multiple times on my playtroughs. Also this is completely optional lift which can lead to alternate way to get extra ammo and get back to storage building without backtracking.

So what's the mystery here...

Edited by riderr3

7 hours ago, Catpho said:

It's official when you put it in this thread. No more fixing even if it's critical. 

To elaborate a bit, the rule is ToD's covert way of trying to make people do a better job of testing their own maps.

I can think of several things that would not automatically prevent someone from finishing the map, but that have the potential to render the map impossible to finish without cheating. Many of these things would be remarkably easy to forget to do while making the map. Here is a short sampling (this list is by no means complete):

• the back of the door into an optional room is tagged WR instead of DR (or not tagged at all), trapping the player in the room
  • a lift out of an area is a one-time lift, but player has the option to re-enter the area later
  • a secret in a nukage or lava pit with a teleporter that is missing the teleport destination thing in a remote sector
  • a walkover line being too close to the front of a switch that opens a door, preventing the switch from operating and trapping the player in an area

Let's say the final mapset had 50 or 60 maps that all had these types of problems that wouldn't prevent player from finishing the map if they avoided the optional areas, but would produce rage quit-inducing anger if they decided to explore. Would ToD have a problem with that and rethink his position?

Even in that extreme case, I'm sure he would release the mapset and I have no doubt that he would come back with the same set of rules next year.

8 hours ago, NaZa said:

I recall one person, earlier this year, who posted a WIP map and stated that it would probably be their submission for this year's DMP. This individual also said they hoped ToD wouldn't mind the apparent bending on the rules.

I don't know whatever happened with the submission, but I haven't seen anyone else try that approach, so it seems that people are at least appearing to obey the spirit of ToD's rule.

Here is my submission: Transdimensional.zip

Title: Transdimensional

Author: Solmyr

Compatibility: boom (complevel 2)

Tested with: Prboom+

Editors used: GZDoom Builder, Slade3

New Music: Soldier of Chaos, TNT Evilution soundtrack by Tom Mustaine, Jonathan El-Bizri and Josh Martel.

Build Time: 12 days, 2-3 hours per day.

TRANSD1.png.3d94d5b426c142edb58d29f437e1dff5.png

Edited by Solmyr

52 minutes ago, rehelekretep said:

boom / cl2 seems like a contradiction in terms i think :s

is it cl9 or cl2?

That should be limit-removing map.
Also by personal experience, if someone make a Boom map and test it with cl2 then switch it to cl9 in source-port settings, couple of bugs can be popped up!

4 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

boom / cl2 seems like a contradiction in terms i think :s

is it cl9 or cl2?

I'm a bit confused about that as well, comp2 is for recording demos in Doom II format, comp9 is for Boom wich i believe is for limit removing maps (?). I don't have much experience with mapping in boom format and recording demos. I recorded several failed attempts at this map in comp 2, and i found no bugs regarding demo compatibility in a limit removing map. 

Edited by Solmyr

Basically (for Doom 2 wads anyway) if you mapped in Doom format it's cl2. Boom format (where you get all the generalised actions and such), cl9.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Basically (for Doom 2 wads anyway) if you mapped in Doom format it's cl2. Boom format (where you get all the generalised actions and such), cl9.

So I guess that would mean (at least for the purposes of this project):

Vanilla = cl2

Limit-removing = cl2

Boom = cl9

Except a lot of people mislabel their work as cl9 when it's cl11 (MBF introduced a few core features we use and abuse, such as sky transfers). That said, PrBoom+ doesn't mind all too much if you specify cl9, some cl11 features (dogs, sky transfer etc) still work just fine.

Wolfenstein door texture, with strips of other textures one pixel in front of them! A 128-tall brown texture for the vertical borders, STEPTOP for the topmost border, and the bottom and middle horizontal lines are done with the short MIDBARS split into tiny pieces to remove the actual bars, because there's no actual 8px-tall texture in Doom 2, so that's the only other options. Then, I made the 1px-wide sector between the window and the windowframe brighter.

After that I made the windows above by copying all those lines slightly to the front, and shifting all offsets upwards (Doom Builder 2 has this great feature where you can select multiple lines/sectors/whatever, and then precede a number with ++ or -- in any numerical field to increment/decrement that field by the specific value in all the selected instances). Since the lines were so close together, I didn't have to shift them very far forward at all, though of course it stacks up and the tallest row of windows is now protruding about 16 pixels away from the wall. But the higher the windows are, the less noticeable this is.

The finished thing ended up having so many linedefs that I had to contain it in a separate sector, or the Doom Builder would lag when making any edits to that big outdoors sector.

heya
i'm releasing my map from this separately with a few modifications. it's up to you if you remove the old version from yr project!

Title: The Absolution

Author: Michael Jan Krizik (valkiriforce)

Compatibility: limit-removing (complevel 2)

Tested with: PrBoom+

Editors used: Doom Builder 2

New Music: E2M1 - I Sawed The Demons

Build Time: 3 days.

Description: Originally started this map as part of Akeldama, but decided to submit this for dmp2018 since I already created a similar techbase setting for that mapset.

download

nWkcRlB.png

qw9op98.png

G4toJud.png

Title: horse

Author: Me

Compatibility: limit-removing

Tested with: gzdoom

Editors used: gzdoom builder

New Music: horse (by me)

Build Time: 2 days.

Description: A map I made with many monsters. It's very experimental.

download

Screenshot_Doom_20181018_235428.png?widt

Thanks for the maps guys. There are over 10 submissions, so I'll consider that a success and will change the rules for next year. Haven't started my map yet but I'll submit one before the deadline.