Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath666

Doomworld Mega Project 2018 (beat your own map)

Recommended Posts

walter confalonieri said:


Title: Toxic Tower
Author: Walter Confalonieri
Description: An old unfinished map that i made in 2015 and bring back in these days. It was made using only the textures from the jmickle texture generator.
It's a map that reminds of a mixture of The Chasm and Icon of Sin in aesthetics.
Port: Boom
New Music: Yes (D_OPENIN)


Walter, there are a couple problems with your submission: 1) your demo isn't a boom format demo, and 2) your demo desyncs for me around the 3:33 mark.

For boom format demos you need to specify compatibility level 9 (-complevel 9). And to avoid desyncs you can't edit your wad after you record your demo. If you can record a new demo in boom format on the exact version of the wad you already submitted, I'll add your submission.

Share this post


Link to post

22k monsters will automatically rule the map out for coop compatibility. 

 

It's good to consider coop compatibility as it can there is still a significant community that play wads in coop online.

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, damo2k said:

22k monsters will automatically rule the map out for coop compatibility. 

 

It's good to consider coop compatibility as it can there is still a significant community that play wads in coop online.

I don't play coop online, so this question comes from that position of ignorance. Why would that many enemies rule the map out? I would think that a map with a large number of enemies would work well for coop, given the greater number of players. This is, of course, provided that the number of enemies doesn't cause the level to slow to a crawl over coop.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

I don't play coop online, so this question comes from that position of ignorance. Why would that many enemies rule the map out? I would think that a map with a large number of enemies would work well for coop, given the greater number of players. This is, of course, provided that the number of enemies doesn't cause the level to slow to a crawl over coop.

Pretty much yeah, the servers and clients will lag pretty heavily. Player numbers will increase this by a factor. Just take a read through here to see how it behaved in ZDaemon: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, DanielAlexander said:

Starting to make my map for this project :)

dmp1.png.59dd34a9977b2f85c421455ce41b1ecf.png

That Ashwall texture on the sky reminds me very much of Quake for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/14/2018 at 12:56 PM, TimeOfDeath666 said:


Walter, there are a couple problems with your submission: 1) your demo isn't a boom format demo, and 2) your demo desyncs for me around the 3:33 mark.

For boom format demos you need to specify compatibility level 9 (-complevel 9). And to avoid desyncs you can't edit your wad after you record your demo. If you can record a new demo in boom format on the exact version of the wad you already submitted, I'll add your submission.

 

I still think this demo requirement needs to be removed. I have no doubt you'd struggle to get maps in this year compared to previous years because who cares about PERFECTION because Doomworld Mega Project has always been a fun project. Also the bad thing about demos is that they mess up if recorded with a different version, or if a different source port tries to play them beck.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

On the subject of demos: With the recent rise in popularity of the Eternity Engine, is it possible to use it for recording Boom-format maps or other stuff? I strongly dislike -shorttics while recording in -cl9 using PRBoom+.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

ZDoom/GZDoom have been supported in the Doom World Megaproject for the past few years, why is it changing now? Aren't they still some of the most widely used source ports in the community, or are people finally moving on to other ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

The demo requirement is only for this year's project and is only to show the mapper beating their map. The quality of the demo doesn't matter at all, it doesn't have to be a speedrun or anything, it's just used for verification purposes.

zdoom was banned only for this year because of demo compatibility issues.

Spectre01, if you record a boom format demo in eternity, will it play back in prboom-plus? Otherwise, you could make a vanilla or limit-removing map and use -longtics with -complevel 2.

Edited by TimeOfDeath666

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:09 PM, pcorf said:

 

I still think this demo requirement needs to be removed. I have no doubt you'd struggle to get maps in this year compared to previous years because who cares about PERFECTION because Doomworld Mega Project has always been a fun project. Also the bad thing about demos is that they mess up if recorded with a different version, or if a different source port tries to play them beck.


I'd like to add that if a lot of people watch these demos, it will just kill the factor of playing through them blind because everyone will know what to expect.

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:


I'd like to add that if a lot of people watch these demos, it will just kill the factor of playing through them blind because everyone will know what to expect.

Yes, but it is their choice to watch them.

Share this post


Link to post

I've never watched a map's demo before playing it.  To me, it would seem weird to do so because that's not how games work; always blind for me.  Though a small handful of people around these parts of town might tell you otherwise.  Maybe the lack of demos would "level the playing field" in some vague way for those treating the sum of Doom gameplay like a macro-scaled dick-measuring contest (which all things are, intrinsically, to some extent) but Doom is a diverse canvas of a game already, and has saves and stuff too, so it's lost in entropy.

 

After beating each map, it might be interesting to watch the demo for it to see how the mapper beats it.  I actually like that the demo has to be performed by mapper too, for a couple of reasons.  Even if a mapper has enough gameplay intuition to make maps that they can't beat, I imagine the quality being generally better if their doom playstyle directly translates to the map they are crafting.  It might also give the end compilation an interesting difficulty/playstyle progression, one with a steeper variance - low floor and high ceiling.  Some people are jaded to certain styles and prefer a flatter, tougher Ultra-Violence, but whatever.  It could make for a good ironman too.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Impboy4 said:


I'd like to add that if a lot of people watch these demos, it will just kill the factor of playing through them blind because everyone will know what to expect.

The only person who has to, by necessity, was all the demos is @TimeOfDeath666. Anyone else that watches the demos is, as @damo2k wrote, choosing to watch them. The same argument can be made anytime someone posts a video of them finishing someone else's map (personally, I like to watch those, especially for the harder levels that are above my skill level). Again, you don't have to watch them.

 

Furthermore, as stated in the rules, the demo doesn't have to be a UV-Max speed run. The mapper only has to do enough to finish the map.

 

It's up to the mapper's discretion how much of the map is required to be visited to complete it. At one end of the spectrum is a map where you have to visit all sectors and get every item and all keys and hit every switch in order to finish the map. In this case, the demo would show everything (thus "ruining" the surprise). At the other end of the spectrum is a map with 6 keys, 1000 sectors, and 5000 monsters that starts you off in a room with a blue keycard, three unlocked doors, and a blue keycard door that has the exit switch behind it. So, in this case, a demo could show almost none of the level and still satisfy the demo on UV rule.

Share this post


Link to post

tekdoofus2_zpsylg3ky3e.png

 

nortpow2_zpsgoshkwn3.png

 

level name: Northern Powerhouse

author: credit me as Zan-zan-zawa-veia

complevel: 9

music: part of the UFO geoscape theme, orig. by Microprose, refurbished by me

 

one of those scavenger levels where you have to worship individual ammo clips and armour helmets

it is dark (idea is a sabotage mission vs a weird tech facility)

intended strictly as a single player level

thanks!

 

download (clumsy speed demo included)

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, yakfak said:

"wad"

"Squeals in excitement"

And the maps i have checked in this thread so far, this looks like the most TOD dmp ever right now.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't like these new rules at all. For example why is demo compulsory thing? is should be optional for sure and why in today era is zdoom removed from suported format? It worked all years without problem so why?

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Marlamir said:

I don't like these new rules at all. For example why is demo compulsory thing? is should be optional for sure and why in today era is zdoom removed from suported format? It worked all years without problem so why?

 Go here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Here is my slaughter map submission 

 

 

-demo is included

Map name: Amide Linkage

Tested with: prboom+

compatibility : boom (complevel 9)

download and demo :Amidelinkage.zip

time taken : 1 day 

Sky texture used is stock doom texture , the firelava textures give a really nice hell-like effect 

Screenshot:

doom34.png.f48eea2a9dfbcdaea1137ba87921b630.png

 

Edited by CarboxylicAcids : Forgot to add difficulty settings

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CarboxylicAcids said:

Here is my slaughter map submission 

 

 

-demo is included

Map name: Amide Linkage

Tested with: prboom+

compatibility : boom (complevel 9)

download and demo :Amidelinkage.zip

time taken : 1 day 

Sky texture used is stock doom texture , the firelava textures give a really nice hell-like effect 

Screenshot:

doom34.png.f48eea2a9dfbcdaea1137ba87921b630.png

 

I will have to try this level out sometime.

Share this post


Link to post

CarboxylicAcids, judging by your edit it seems like you edited your map which is against rule#2. Could you post the original map?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×