Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath666

[released] Doomworld Mega Project 2018 (beat your own map)

@TimeOfDeath666 Wow, thanks for clarifying everything. I really appreciate your explanations.

Okay, I'll sign up. I think your ideas and rules are cool, and I'm going to follow them to the letter. That means no one but me will test the map. I also have no intention of playing around with difficulty settings so that HNTR becomes the "real" UV. UV is UV, and HMP and HNTR will be linear reductions from that standard, just like all my other maps. While I might savescum through initial playtesting, I will practice without saves until I feel ready to make my first demo attempt. I will make as many demo attempts as necessary to obtain a clean, successful playthrough on UV Max.

Tbh, I'm kind of psyched by your rules. I'll have to pay attention to side routes and such to make certain they can still be fun for players who take them. I'm also very curious to see how much of a typical Steve D map -- basically, all-out-war from beginning to end -- I can make when I can't rely on testers who are top-tier players.

Indeed, if it wasn't for your new rules, if it was the same as every other year, the odds are that I would not participate. The new rules give me something to shoot for rather than just tossing in some ancient POS like I did for DMP 2016.

I don't entirely agree with ToD's post, but I accept his reasoning for what it is. Best of luck to all the mappers who take part in this year's project, and let my autistic ranting be ceased.

Pretty stoked for the well balanced set of classic maps this is likely to result in. Totally understand your reasoning here, ToD.

Ahh. Thank you for the clarifications TimeofDeath. :)

Ill admit DMP is my excuse to create(or not since i cant finish a map for the life of me) out of the box ideas and have them be put in a note worthy project. I'll see what i can come up with for this project.

Even with good intentions, it still feels wrong to have no zdoom.

Still, best of luck to the project.

I appreciate the clarification, though my opinion hasn't shifted. Part of me is hoping I'm wrong and that something positive comes out of this experiment, but I'm so wholly against the "thou shalt not collaborate" philosophy that my other half is hoping for a failure -- I just hate to think that contributors are gonna get burned in the process. :/

Either way, it'll be some tangible proof either for or against the idea, which is fantastic from a scientific perspective, so carry on.

Now, I'm new to the whole mapping scene, but having been a lurker for many, many years, it seems to me like not allowing GZDoom is gonna drive quite a few people away. I'll force myself to learn the tricks of Boom mapping regardless, but I'm unsure if others would be willing to as well.

Honestly, I still feel like you'd be better off keeping these rules separate from the DMP brand: for better or for worse, the Doomworld Mega Project has always been about letting anyone contribute anything (within reason) and to enforce rules like these excludes a lot of people who'd otherwise be willing to contribute, especially ones from other specialized forums like Zandronum or ZDF. Personally I was hoping to contribute a UDMF map this year and I am kinda sad that that option had been gated off.

Having said that, if you did reinstate the old rules and turn this idea into its own project, I'd be happy to sign up to both!  A TimeOfDeath community project would be a fantastic idea and a chance to see some damn interesting contributions. I dunno, this is just my take on things.

And yeah, I suppose there is Scifista's alternative, but it doesn't feel the same, y'know? Maybe I'm getting hung up on semantics, I dunno.

Mega project and omega project are the wrong way around, imo. Omega sounds like it would be the cool and interesting spinoff while old-style DMP continues as before.

Yeah, what @Obsidian said is kind of my viewpoint as well. I personally don't think that excluding all advanced formats because of demo issues, of all things, is really in the spirit of the Mega Project.

But, if this is still going on, I'd be interested in knowing if doom 1 textures will be allowed, or if only what's in the doom2 iwad is fair game.

Right now I do not plan to create a map for Doomworld Mega Project 2018.

I may create a map for this project. Or actually I'm gonna take 2 different, never released maps, that I created years ago, cut out every part that I don't like now, add some new stuff, join these maps into one, change some other stuff, and I think that a perfectly fine map will emerge ;D

Anybody else started on this, yet? I've decided to revist the Broundry theme for a section of my map. This area might even be vanilla compatible, but the map will be limit-removing by the time I'm done with it.

tDKwUuu.jpg

I started a thing using the 2 textures and 2 flats limit for this map, but i'll see if I will keep that theme...

For this year's DMP, I'm planning to combine 3 unreleased vanilla maps I made last year into one large map.

I've made a start on my map and already see how much of a limitation no new sky textures really is. :/

I'm hoping this one rule would be reconsidered. Even if you preselected a handful of skies for us all to use in our boom format maps; that would really help imho.

I've also even not starting yet, but... I put some ideas in text file and already know how my map will looks like.

I share two screenies of my map I started yesterday. The format will be vanilla.

doom1210.jpg

doom128.png.12d58cea5e31d386ee96a713154186a0.png

Hahaha, that's an unusual idea. I've altered the part I was working on to not need a WFALLx but now it feels a lot less 'connected' as a set of locations. Interesting idea though!