Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath666

[released] Doomworld Mega Project 2018 (beat your own map)

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

You could scroll COMPBLUE down. :D

In the absence of the WFALLx textures, that may work rather well. After a quick check, this is what I think about how it works best as a narrow fall (like a small stream tumbling down over the rocks or rivulets down a wall) unless you were VERY far away from it.

Excellent, one of the most interesting texture uses I've ever seen. I assume the apparent sharp glow of the texture is an unavoidable side effect (without which it would have looked worse at least), in which case adding a sharp light glow sector effect onto the water flat might fit it visually nicely while hiding the fact that it's a side effect.

Interesting, although a shame about the random blacking out. In such a situation, I'd be tempted to use one of the two liquids we do have falls for in the standard resources. It's easy to tell a player when a surface does or doesn't hurt, afterall, so we don't need to worry about consistency.

I'm already using plenty of nukage in my map which does hurt in this instance. Not comfortable using blood because it wouldn't suit the map.

6 hours ago, antares031 said:

You can also use ZZWOLF9 like this:

4fb60157af.gif

This is limit-removing, so I believe you can make something much better than this with boom.

Color me impressed :D

6 hours ago, antares031 said:

You can also use ZZWOLF9 like this:

4fb60157af.gif

This is limit-removing, so I believe you can make something much better than this with boom.

How exactly is this done with the blue brick texture? Especially the scrolling down effect.

6 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

How exactly is this done with the blue brick texture? Especially the scrolling down effect.

It's a series of 1-pixel-length walls with scrolling effect. Each face has its own vertical texture alignment to make it looks like a waterfall.

d184a5f544.png

Scrolling down is simple; it's just a super-tall floor, moving down to the surface. In this case, you may need some action linedefs around to replenish the water, once it's depleted. In boom, however, you don't need to think about this solution, thanks to the vertical scrolling effect. :D

I figured that's what was going on when I saw it yesterday but I didn't say anything :) I did wonder about the continuity of the scrolling since there are no vertical scrolling effects in vanilla and you said it was limit removing and not Boom so I knew you couldn't be using voodoo doll scripts since there aren't floor scrollers either. I imagine you would have to set up groups of walkover linedefs that do an instant raise and lower whenever the player enters the room and or the area near the room so that the player never doesn't see it. Sadly I still don't know how to set up instant raise/lower floors properly :v

5 hours ago, therektafire said:

......I still don't know how to set up instant raise/lower floors properly :v

You can still use dummy sector trick in limit-removing. By using WR Floor Lower to Highest Floor (Action 83) and a dummy sector with target floor height, you can make a instant floor popup. You can also make a instant floor drop with WR Floor Raise to Lowest Ceiling (Action 91) and a dummy sector with target ceiling height. Make sure that the objective sector is affected by the dummy sector, and not by surrounding sectors in the level.

Heh.  damn good job @antares031.  I tried doing something similar a few months back, but mine didn't come out as good (sharing for relevance):

ulWiV1B.gif

Unnamed speedmap compilation: "Untitled - Nov 2nd, 2017"

Story: I'm working on a complevel 2 speedmap megawad with only stock textures (to get gud at actually finishing maps); I didn't know that doom2 lacked a friggin waterfall of all things!  so i had to improvise.  It wasn't a very speedmap friendly solution, but i was kinda satisfied with my result, at least in a janky "doom furniture" kinda way.  Your's kinda blows mine out of the water though (no pun intended)

I considered doing something similar with SKY1 for brown, creamy mud-falls.  But, messing around with the concept for too long is antithetical to the speedmapping goals i had.  I instead used red bloodfalls, because red is close to brown, right?  Just make sure the room is dark :p

10 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Using a sky texture for a waterfall sounds hilarious. I would like to see that.

Eh, i just wondering what kind of liquid textures will fix sky textures...

Probably blood, lava or slime?

DOOM00.png.31ec9dbc3c11f31a76e99f76da56779b.png

Name: Warm Embrace

Compatibility: Vanilla

Tested with: Chocolate Doom 2.3.0

Demo: Recorded in Chocolate Doom, a casual first exit max.

Midi: from Daggerfall

Comments: Started as a 1-hour speedmap, but it took me something like 2 hours to get it playable. I was really enjoying it while testing, so I decided to polish it and make it vanilla-compatible. I got the sprite flickering down to a level I'm comfortable with, but it's often still there late in the map. An invisible cyberdemon spooked me pretty good in my demo. Difficulty settings implemented and tested, coop implemented but untested.

Download: warmembrace.zip

@Benjogami

For some reason, PrBoom says, about finding a secret, right after the start. So it's planned? In any case, in terms of gameplay, the map is excellent. Very invigorating "stress jogging". From the first time I did not get through to the end, I was killed by cyberdemons. All the time I felt that I survived only by a miracle. Alas, I'm not too lucky today.

Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png  First Demo Attempt - PrBoom 2.5.1.3

9 minutes ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

For some reason, PrBoom says, about finding a secret, right after the start. So it's planned?

Yeah, I added that secret because it seems that you can't get 100% secrets on the score screen in Chocolate Doom if the map has 0 secrets. I've noticed some other maps where you get a secret right away and guessed that maybe that's why, so I went with it. :)

Thanks for playing! And for the demo, it was fun to watch.

Just now, StormCatcher.77 said:

@Catpho As far as i remember this is DMPs of 2012 and 2016 years. In all other DMPs custom resources was allowed.

Ok,thanks :)

I'm finished with my map but not yet going to release it due to the 'no updates' rule. If anybody would like to test it for me, please pm me. :)

f5cd817b6e16b97ee815769a3adb5900.png

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I'm finished with my map 

Brrr. You know how OP predicted we'd get easier maps because the author would necessarily have to be able to beat it?

Yeah... Not in this case!

The only issue I have with the rules is the no new resources policy. Chris, why are you worried about the new resources that authors use? If they are using textures without permission when needed, that's different. When new textures are usable without the need for permission from the wad author, having the no new textures policy is pointless. As far as sounds go, authors would not mind if sounds were used. The only exception is if the sounds came from television programs and movies.

@mArt1And00m3r11339 - From the position of someone who's helped in numerous community projects I can understand wanting to severely limit the resources.

Having several people throwing hundreds / thousands of new textures your way is a pain. As the manager of the resources you would then have to take the time to check for duplicate resources, make sure everything is merged into a single TEXTURE1 lump, check that it all works in the intended source port, deal with etra lumps such as ANIMDEFS to ensure every single switch and animated texture acts as expected, etc.

All of this is a huge time sink and will also bloat the end result's file size a lot. The easier options are no extra textures, or predefined texture packs (inb4 someone wants to use CC4).

That said, if it were myself in charge, I would have either allowed one custom sky per mapper or preselected a handful of skies, as these options are not a huge task compared to managing full on texture packs, and will do wonders for people's maps to have a stronger and unique identity.

52 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339 - From the position of someone who's helped in numerous community projects I can understand wanting to severely limit the resources.

Having several people throwing hundreds / thousands of new textures your way is a pain. As the manager of the resources you would then have to take the time to check for duplicate resources, make sure everything is merged into a single TEXTURE1 lump, check that it all works in the intended source port, deal with etra lumps such as ANIMDEFS to ensure every single switch and animated texture acts as expected, etc.

All of this is a huge time sink and will also bloat the end result's file size a lot. The easier options are no extra textures, or predefined texture packs (inb4 someone wants to use CC4).

That said, if it were myself in charge, I would have either allowed one custom sky per mapper or preselected a handful of skies, as these options are not a huge task compared to managing full on texture packs, and will do wonders for people's maps to have a stronger and unique identity.

I thought the "no new resources" came from a artistic standpoint,considering he allowed custom stuff for previous dmps.Something like "how creative you are at using stock resources",and considering his mapping preferences as well(he uses stock resources only in most of his wads).But you could be right. 

This too is a valid reason, of course! There's hundreds of reasons for and against. Regardless, I feel like ToD has made up their mind and will remain headstrong about their decision, and with the creation of DWOP it's easier to say "Well, go to DWOP then instead" if people have a problem with the limitations. :)

Time to put another map for this project!

dai-rtg.zip

Title: Toxic Tower

Author: Walter Confalonieri

Description: An old unfinished map that i made in 2015 and bring back in these days. It was made using only the textures from the jmickle texture generator.

It's a map that reminds of a mixture of The Chasm and Icon of Sin in aesthetics.

Port: Boom

New Music: Yes (D_OPENIN)

Build time: a pair of weeks (I think) divided in 2 years

Edited by Walter confetti

walter confalonieri said:

Title: Toxic Tower
Author: Walter Confalonieri
Description: An old unfinished map that i made in 2015 and bring back in these days. It was made using only the textures from the jmickle texture generator.
It's a map that reminds of a mixture of The Chasm and Icon of Sin in aesthetics.
Port: Boom
New Music: Yes (D_OPENIN)

Walter, there are a couple problems with your submission: 1) your demo isn't a boom format demo, and 2) your demo desyncs for me around the 3:33 mark.

For boom format demos you need to specify compatibility level 9 (-complevel 9). And to avoid desyncs you can't edit your wad after you record your demo. If you can record a new demo in boom format on the exact version of the wad you already submitted, I'll add your submission.