Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath666

[released] Doomworld Mega Project 2018 (beat your own map)

12 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

For DMP2019, I still have to sort out all the rules before I start the thread, but so far the maps must be compatible with zdoom 2.8.1 with jumping and freelook.

noooo

*Deleted comment* 

I dont like the jumping.

I have a really INSANE map idea, which is kinda bad when there is jumping.

Regular jumping is not too bad to map around, but Quake-style rocket jumps is where things start getting, uh, interesting.

I have been asked to play this during tonight's Eternal Doom stream, so just letting people know I will be livestreaming this when it releases at some point in the future.

I'm expecting to see some good maps!

32 maps was a very good effort for DMP2018.

If I make a map for DMP2019 it will not be designed for jumping or free look but will utilize the Zdoom features such as 3D floors as I did that in Doom Space Wars. Zdoom (Doom in Hexen format) is fine. With scifista42 no longer active in the forums I kinda miss his more free willing concept.

Congratulations on the lightning quick release of dmp2018, comprising 32 maps (packaged as 2 wads, 18 cl2 +14 cl9). I'm watching the demos and starting to play the maps now. Fun times ahead!

Edited by tmorrow : 14 not 16 cl9 maps

2 wads? I tought it was compiled into one wad...

Anyway i'll download it when I return home this evening...

Because there are 32 maps, secret exit line actions would have to be added and one map would have monster telefragging on map30, which might affect demo syncing.

Two maps in and I can't stand it so far, im afraid to say. The first two maps are just uncreative and monster spammy. I managed to beat the first one but the second I just gave up on. The third map seems fairly decent so far, though. Its sweet and subtle, as if the author was able to control himself and not fill every room to the brim with monsters.

23 minutes ago, Count651 said:

Two maps in and I can't stand it so far, im afraid to say. The first two maps are just uncreative and monster spammy. I managed to beat the first one but the second I just gave up on.

Sorry you didn't like my map (MAP01). I'm not sure which difficulty setting you played on, but I assure you that all of the monsters were placed with care and consideration, for all difficulty settings.

Played a little of all the maps and so far looks cool, with boom mapset being the best one IMO.

And I must admit that cl2 maps starting as a Slaughterfest.... Also I noticed a bug in mapinfo (I think) with MAP17 and MAP18 sharing the same track, if this wasn't intentional...

24 minutes ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

My computer has no sound, but I'm guessing Pegleg used doom2 map17 music in his map by coincidence.

Yes, yes it is...

Anyway looks the trouble was on RaphaelMode map (he's put a fixed version with the missing track on this page)

22 minutes ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

Unfortunately for him, he already submitted his map without the music, so I can't use his updated version.

As much as I can get behind some of the reasons for a "post release editing embargo", this seems like overdoing it to me. If nothing is changed except for the MIDI (which I'm guessing is what would be the case here, correct me if I'm wrong), what exactly would be the problem with it?

Awesome job and thank you to everyone who participated! Hope you all had a Happy New Year's:)

1 hour ago, rehelekretep said:

i am perversely in favour of just saying 'projects done' :p

Same. 

If if you want to release the map separately or add a fix wad, have at ‘er, but it’s nice to see a project just say “nah these were the rules, we’re going to follow them to the letter, and when we’re done we’re done”. 

Im through the first ~10 cl2 maps. I bounced off the slaughter start, enjoyed the straightforward Phobos map, and am currently up to pcorf’s. Fave map so far is valkiriforce’s. Just a really frantic start with a number of options to gain a foothold. 

I may have missed something, but the one time submission rules pertained to mappers submitting their map, not to the compilation of the entire set of maps into wads. Anyway I'm glad of the quick release but I expect there's going to be quite a few problems discovered due to inherently limited testing.

Out of curiosity has anyone found all 4 secrets in map03 of dmp2018cl2? I was only able to find 2 of them and my limited knowledge of gzdoombuilder suggests the bfg and rocket launcher secrets aren't reachable in normal game play. I hope I'm mistaken.

Played through some more maps of dmp2018cl2. Levels 3 to 6 are all pretty good. Each of them was nice and simple but fairly challenging in an enjoyable way. Some pretty good vanilla-esque aesthetics in these maps. Map 7 I cant say I like, however. It was far too dark and I couldn't see a damn thing, I spent most of my playtime here getting killed by hitscanners I couldn't see. The trap with the 100 or so imps also seemed pretty lazy and rubbed me the wrong way.

In the end, I like how this projected was/is managed. I can understand the distaste of this being a DMP, but Quakes and Dooms after 96, amirite?

I think the best part of not allowing advanced engines is that all demos can be played in one engine, is convenient. Doom turns out to be a rather good spectator port. Although that hour and twenty some minute demo was a little of a drag. My favorite so far is that one cl2 map where the player just ran through. I'll play some of these maps (not in prboom+, ha ha!) once I finish viewing these lumps. I found that I almost always prefer the second play through of games after all.

As much as I can get behind some of the reasons for a "post release editing embargo", this seems like overdoing it to me. If nothing is changed except for the MIDI (which I'm guessing is what would be the case here, correct me if I'm wrong), what exactly would be the problem with it?

I wouldn't mind re-editing if I made a compiling mistake, but he already submitted the map without the music and the rules were very strict to not allow updates. I think yakfak also got burned by the no-updates rule. For the automap and cwilv names, it was intentional to only include the names of the map authors because every map was made by someone different and there's limited space in the automap.

This was my favourite DMP so far because it was so organized and the compiling went so smoothly. I wish every community project was this easy.

It's interesting that of the two, the one with no limits got significantly fewer maps submitted for it.

Anyway here are some terrible FDAs of me working my way through the map set on UV.  Maps 1-14.  I only finished a handful of them, some of them I'll come back to later.  Favorites so far are Phobos, valkiriforce, and JudgeDeadd's maps.

DWMP2018CL2_7hm_1-14.zip