Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Doomworld Omega Project 2018 Proposal

I hope custom stuff will be allowed and gzdoom port, because these days I mostly mapping around them and I really hate to restrict myself to vanilla and boom compatible ports, unless I need check if stuff isn't broken and run flawlessly for demo recording reasons for other people. 

Everything that was allowed in DMP2017 will be allowed here. I even consider making some of the rules even more relaxed.

Having the same rules of DMP2017 seem fine. My intention is to make a map for both of the projects, and I guess that other people will do that too.

Bummer that DWMP2018 is not going to allow GZDoom maps, really splits mappers making total entries less for this year's DWMP, Count me in this one, I don't like to work with inferior formats.

Great start!

I propose to consider some of my rules:
1. The author of the map (optional) can provide an image (256x256, 512x512, ...) for the portal on hub-map (if the project foresees this).
2. There should be 4 playerstarts on the map. This does not oblige authors to optimize gameplay for cooperative. It's just, as I understand, for many players this is important.
3. If the final compilation is to be sorted by difficulty, then it is worth asking the authors together with the general data (tools, resources, ...), to indicate the difficulty of the game (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane).

I think that you can let the authors do everything that does not concern the global parameters of the project. Perhaps it is worth to allow MP3, OGG, but only under a free license. You can only limit the size of one map within 5 mb.
I was already thinking about starting such a project, with a complete bias in GZDoom, but you outrun me :D It's for the best, because I am now mired in work.

Now it is difficult for me to guarantee something, but I hope that I will find time to participate. I'm in a game.

Map author indicating difficulty of his map is probably pointless. Everybody feels it differently, therefore a consistent ordering would still have to be done by a single person who plays all the maps, or by multiple people proposing and agreeing on the final order.

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

This is a community project with rules identical to those of Doomworld Mega Project 2017, except that the deadline will be the end of 2018. The goal of this project is to substitute DMP for mappers who would pass on the official new one because of its new restrictive rules. That means, the intention is not to hijack DMP2018's inflow of maps, but to accommodate mappers who wouldn't contribute to it anyway. More detailed OP will come after I get some feedback about this project's necessity and usefulness.

Hang on there. Just because ToD makes the rules, that doesnt mean we cant convince him to change the them...

Just now, scifista42 said:

Everything that was allowed in DMP2017 will be allowed here. I even consider making some of the rules even more relaxed.

Stop being so cool scifista43 :D <3

7 minutes ago, Ninehills42 said:

Hang on there. Just because ToD makes the rules, that doesnt mean we cant convince him to change the them...

Why should he/her? As scifiesta43 pointed out the project is about demo compatibility, that's (I assume) ToD's decision to make and its been made.

Good luck to both projects. 

I second that custom stuff should be allowed. The mega project maps that were personally most fun for me to make were the ones from 2013 to 2015.

Whatever the case, I want in on this project, for sure. :)

5 minutes ago, obake said:

I second that custom stuff should be allowed. The mega project maps that were personally most fun for me to make were the ones from 2013 to 2015.

Whatever the case, I want in on this project, for sure. :)

Third one. Witch house as music for project into masses!

2 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

The Doomworld Ooomega Project 2018 -- for people who express joy at finding megaspheres. 

You mean... Omegaspheres?

1 hour ago, bzzrak said:

Can you participate if you're not an omega-male?

To participate it's a prerequisite to become one.

Maybe I'll contribute something for this once I finish my other commitments first. I mean after all, I have an entire year to make something.

Sounds good. I have no issue with ToD wanting to do his own thing, but hijacking the DMP name for it ain't cool.

Spectre01 said:

Sounds good. I have no issue with ToD wanting to do his own thing, but hijacking the DMP name for it ain't cool.

I created the DMP. The rules have changed before and this year's no different.

2 hours ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

I created the DMP. The rules have changed before and this year's no different.

I think people are more interested in hearing why the rules were changed to what they are. So far it looks like you want to run a project without putting forth the work of compiling all those naughty textures.

Jaxxoon R said:

I think people are more interested in hearing why the rules were changed to what they are. So far it looks like you want to run a project without putting forth the work of compiling all those naughty textures.

This is the DMP's third year with a "no textures" rule. As for the demos rule, it's supposed to be a fun experiment/challenge for many experienced and inexperienced mappers. I'm trying to help people become better mappers.

I see this project as legitimate enough from this point onwards, so best of luck to all the mappers involved in this project!