Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomeDx

[Every version] GzDoom is painfully slow for a lot of WADS

Hey all,

I recently got back into Doom again and downloaded some custom wads (Winter's Fury, Scythe etc). What I noticed is that my performance is pure garbage in a lot of scenes. I even manage to hit 20-30 fps on big areas without any action going on (First level of Winter Fury's 3rd Episode). Older wads like the original Doom II run fine.

I've had this issue a few years ago as well so it's not a problem with the newest version.

My computer uses an Intel i5-3570k with a Nvidia Geforce GTX1070. I run all games fine, but GzDoom is a nightmare at times.

Any idea's on what could be causing the problem? I already tweaked with the ingame settings (disabling anti aliasing, ambient occlusion, texture enhancing etc)

EDIT: Problem seems CPU related. When running the game in 320x240, the framerate remains the exact same. Which is odd since I run other games at 2k just fine

The short answer is that GZDoom has far steeper CPU requirements than most other Doom ports you'll find.

Thing is, basic AI functions like A_Look and A_Chase are several times the size in GZDoom compared to their original size in vanilla Doom, and their subroutines have, for the most part, seen a similar increase. While the difference is fairly negligible with just a handful of monsters, once you have to deal with hundreds of monsters checking for basic map geometry, portals, 3D floors, and heavily customizable code with every step they take, and then doing a line-of-sight check that has to factor in all that map geometry and portals and 3D floors in again after taking that step ... yeah, it's no wonder you're having trouble with a dated CPU that I'm pretty sure was subpar when it was fresh on the market.

1 minute ago, Arctangent said:

The short answer is that GZDoom has far steeper CPU requirements than most other Doom ports you'll find.

Thing is, basic AI functions like A_Look and A_Chase are several times the size in GZDoom compared to their original size in vanilla Doom, and their subroutines have, for the most part, seen a similar increase. While the difference is fairly negligible with just a handful of monsters, once you have to deal with hundreds of monsters checking for basic map geometry, portals, 3D floors, and heavily customizable code with every step they take, and then doing a line-of-sight check that has to factor in all that map geometry and portals and 3D floors in again after taking that step ... yeah, it's no wonder you're having trouble with a dated CPU that I'm pretty sure was subpar when it was fresh on the market.

Explains a lot, since the issue was a lot less intense 3 years ago. Probably been way overused after 6 years of heavy usage. Ah well, was planning on making an upgrade soon anyway.

It's likely something on your end, probably the CPU being the bottleneck since it's old and a GTX 1070 is far more than enough. I'm using an i5-6402P with 8GB of RAM and GTX 950 on W10 and I'm not having even remotely similar performance issues in any wad I've played until now in 1080p, both in the OpenGL and Software renders.

Your CPU has an integrated Intel HD 4000 Graphics VGA. Make sure that GZDoom runs in the nVidia card and not the slow Intel VGA.

On 2018-01-04 at 2:33 AM, jval said:

Your CPU has an integrated Intel HD 4000 Graphics VGA. Make sure that GZDoom runs in the nVidia card and not the slow Intel VGA.

I'm almost positive that if that were the issue, running at 320x240 would drastically improve things in OP's case.

The others are right that having a very low-end CPU will bottleneck things. I experience problems by just running the CPU on low power settings and I know for sure it's using my NVidia graphics because I see the OpenGL init readouts on startup.

In many common cases though, you would be 100% right and that would be a thing a person would have to check.

That Core i5 3570k shouldn't be a slow down. People are still using the original Core i5s and i7s to this day with updated video cards with minimal bottlenecking. Is OP playing with mods or some sort of enhancer?

Using a computer worse than yours in every way (i5 2500k and GTX 970) and GZDOOM seems to run flawlessly. I would check all your options, drivers, background programs, etc.