Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Sessions 10 - A Decade (v2 available)

I hope someday to take part in your mapping challenges. But I'm usually late.

Also, I think that the 24-hour format will enable people from other time zones.

Edited by riderr3

15 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Also, I think that the 24-hour format will enable people from other time zones.

This I agree with. I think future Eagle sessions should continue with this format.

3 hours and 30 minutes left for mapping. I will accept maps until 30 minutes after the session ends. 

26 minutes ago, Surreily said:

Update for my map! https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bl1v9smta80hsu/prepv2.wad?dl=1

I sacrificed some detail at the start for an extra sector, which I have used to hopefully prevent cheesing the final room (which has also been redesigned). I hope it's not too frustrating...

The player start is in the area before the final room, but no worries, I'll relocate it back at the start.

With that, the session is over! I'll wait for 25 more minutes and then call it done.

5 hours ago, NaZa said:

The player start is in the area before the final room, but no worries, I'll relocate it back at the start.

Oops. Was in a bit of a rush to get out this morning. Thanks!

Probably the fastest I've ever completed a compilation but here it goes:

EAGLES 10 - A DECADE (pre-release)

KNOWN BUGS

- Noisy and Walter's map have big titles that barely fit as a CWILV in prBoom+.

- Also, Noisy and Walter's map titles don't fit in automap view of ZDoom.

- Both theirs and Surreily's map titles don't fit in automap view of prBoom+.

eagles10.zip

for sake of sharing and relevance: I was trying to go with the 'semi-open building surrounded by liquid' archtype; but i was also trying to do fancy, stylized platforms, which doombuilder didn't cooperate with after drawing them.

pic:

the numbers were supposed to be mark the "10 sectors". paint-by-number style.

dVd1bWb.jpg

Here's me expanding on the trivia. 

1. Who participated how many times?

Forli participated the most times, creating 7 maps - he participated in every session from 2nd (for which he contributed 2 maps) to 6th, and then in the 8th session. After that he hasn't participated. Perhaps next time :)

In second place are two people with 6 maps contributed by each. Surreily participated in the first ever Eagle Session, also in the 2nd, and then from 4th to 6th. After that he hasn't contributed until this very session. On the other hand, Walter confetti participated from 2nd to 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th, being the most regular, and consistent, mapper so far.

5 maps were contributed by three people. Bzzrak started participating most recently of the bunch, with the 3rd session being his debut. Afterwards, he participated in the 6th, 7th (in which he made 2 maps) and 8th. Pinchy also made 2 maps for one session, that being the 5th session. He also participated in the 2nd, 6th and 7th. The last of these is bonnie, whose contribution for the 6th session is likely to remain his last one, taking recent events into consideration (not that I would disallow him from participating, mind you). He participated in the first ever session, and also in the 2nd (for which he made 2 maps), 3rd and 5th.

Two people have contributed 4 maps each. NaZa aka DoomLover234 is myself. I participated in the 2nd and 4th session, and didn't participate until the last two sessions, where I "woke up". I promise I will continue contributing to my own sessions. Everennui was one of the most consistent mappers for Eagle, on the other hand. He contributed for 4 sessions in a row, from 2nd to 5th, and hasn't contributed anything since, unfortunately.

Five people made 3 maps for the sessions. Spie812 and therektafire both participated three times in a row, from 7th session onward, unfortunately missing out on this one. A2Rob has participated twice for the 5th and 6th session, and after a longer break returned and made another one for this session. dl_simc made a map for the 3rd session, and returned for the 7th and 8th sessions. Last of the bunch is StormCatcher.77, who participated in the first two sessions, however his participation in the 6th session wasn't the start of a new trend, but rather a one-off.

Seven people contributed 2 mapsAnonimVio and NecrumWarrior both participated in only the first two sessions - they haven't been participating since. Bioshockfan90 is the only person from the 1st session who didn't participate in the 2nd one as well, but he made up for it by joining in for the 5th one. Elmle and NuclearPotato participated in the 3rd and 5th sessions. NeedHealth made two maps in a row for the 7th and 8th sessions, but didn't come back since. However NoisyVelvet has started participating very recently (#8) and has participated in this session also. Start of a trend we'll see.

And at the end, eight people contributed only 1 map: NEANDERTHAL; you probably remember Quick Jim (#2), Suitepee (#2 - he makes up for it by streaming anyway)Big Ol Billy (#3), Breezeep and Solarn (#5), Scotty (#6), Philnemba (#7) and antares031 (#8). Will any of them return for the new decade and the new year? Hopefully.

2. NUMBER OF MAPS PER SESSION

Only two sessions had more than 10 maps; ESS 02 - King Double, had an astounding number of 14 maps, while ESS 05 - Total Silence had 12 maps, which is reasonably close.

ESS 06 - Better Late Than Never, despite being organized later than usual, nearly tied that number with 9 maps. This number of maps was also shared by ESS 08 - Memesis.

Also, 8 maps were accomplished by two sessions; ESS 03 - Third on the 3rd (which wasn't intentional but was quite a coincidence anyway) and ESS 07 - All Alone In The Flame Of Doubt, which, for a session completely overshadowed by drama, wasn't that bad after all.

The first session, ESS 01 - Rough Beginning, clocked in at 6 maps, with every mapper contributing at least one more map to the sessions.

Two sessions also had 5 maps contributed to - ESS 04 - Four Square and ESS 10 - A Decade. A funny coincidence is that I've made a map for both of them, as well as Walter and Surreily.

By amount of maps, the worst session was ESS 09 - Joy To The Eagles, which had a measly number of 3 maps. This was mostly due to another speedmapping session taking place just before this one, but also because of drama which still hasn't quite lifted off.

I don't know why I wrote all that.

Just played through all the maps. You're only getting the map numbers here because two people thought it'd be funny to type a novel for their map names :)

MAP01 is my monstrosity. Trivia: I chose Crazy Train as the music because that's what happened to come on Spotify when I was making the map.

MAP02 was fun, but a bit samey after a while. I wasn't a huge fan of the teleporting revenants. Everything else was good, and there was some good work put into detailing the map too.

MAP03 was awesome, even if it did have an intense start and I scored my first death. I almost forgot it was 10 sectors!

MAP04 decided to be some kind of puzzle map. The ending was intense, I had to dodge cyberdemon fire on that tiny platform with no rad suit and about 80% health. Somehow I didn't die.

MAP05 is very blue.

The Best Map in my opinion is the one by by Walter Confetti (the third one). Very claustrophobic and very short, but the Tyson gameplay was refreshing.

The Worst Map is, of course, the first one. Who the fuck thought a barrel maze would be a good idea?

Oh, and by the way, am I the only one getting some messed up textures on the first two maps?

I'll look into the texture thing, I noticed nothing when running through the compilation. I'll check it more tomorrow when I'm refreshed... 

EDIT: Yeah, the first two encounters are basic puzzles. The last encounter was actually never tested before release but my subconscience seemed to have known the whole setup lasts just enough. Funnily enough, that's the only encounter that changed after initially putting it in the map - the last Cybie was a Mastermind. 

Actually I had made a map for this session but I wasn't too fond of it so I decided not to release it, so I technically didn't "miss out" on this time :)

After some thought, @THMG's map will probably be included as MAP31, however I don't know how to specify that it requires GZDoom so that people actually read it. I'll probably write it in sectors on the last map or something. Making a forced secret exit at the end of MAP05 and the textscreen could warn the users about the map before crashing, if loaded in Boom. If THMG agrees, obviously.

Anyway, v2 is available.

THINGS FIXED

• Surreily's map had a HOM at the place where you drop on the blood pool after the outdoor area. No more.
  • Three known instances of bad textures fixed - SUPPORT2, BIGDOOR1 and PIPEWAL2

eagles10_v2.zip

Edited by NaZa

10 hours ago, NaZa said:

Making a forced secret exit at the end of MAP05 and the textscreen could warn the users about the map before crashing, if loaded in Boom

Unfortunately in doom2 (vanilla, Boom) a secret exit outside of the usual places will not go to where you might expect. Instead it will go to the last map entered from an intermission screen, defaulting to map01 if you have not seen an intermission screen yet. Cf. this post by @Grazza.

@NaZa I'd be perfectly fine with you including my map. Thank you for being willing to accommodate my mistake.

32 minutes ago, RjY said:

Unfortunately in doom2 (vanilla, Boom) a secret exit outside of the usual places will not go to where you might expect. Instead it will go to the last map entered from an intermission screen, defaulting to map01 if you have not seen an intermission screen yet. Cf. this post by @Grazza.

Ah... well then I don't know, the nearest text screen is after MAP06. Might make a tiny placeholder map there just to utilize the text screen after.

On 2018/1/7 at 4:29 PM, NaZa said:

Here's me expanding on the trivia. 

And probably I have the most UV Max runs in eagles mapping series.