Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Will there ever be a decent 3D model pack?

that baron does indeed look fantastic. if someone ported over all the doom monsters into quake with that quality, I would start mapping for quake in a heartbeat. to mod for a game where you can just use models for new animations, instead of having to sprite them, would be fantastic

You still have the problem of it bring lit only by ambient light, and only dynamic lights provide any contrast.

sorry to bump an oldish thread but this is an excellent question and yes, I believe that with the skilled people out there and the access to modeling software there's no reason why there shouldn't be a decent (I love how the word is decent) 3D model pack. Unfortunately, many of us haven't found any and come back asking ourselves this question.

If you ask me, I'm pretty damn sure the big problem is the movement. It's too fluid, like they've used some sort of interpolation or something (last time I used 3D software was in the 90s, sorry). It's like when Adobe (or Macromedia) Flash was getting popular and you could tell all those animations made by interpolating with tweening until you'd be fed up with that tweened movement for every animation.

Textures maaay be culprit too. Too clean sometimes.

I don't know, I guess it's an overall "cleanliness"

On 1/2/2018 at 10:09 PM, Bauul said:

The question is whether it'd be possible to generate shading and light within a model editor, and then bake it to the texture.  And then see whether it looks any good in game.  It would work in theory, but in practice is obviously a-whole-nother kettle of fish.

Yeah that is super easy for anyone who are familiar with baked textures like normal maps etc. But it'd be a massive waste of effort to do because if you're going to bake the shading into the diffuse texture then you can just draw that a lot easier and faster than you would baking it from a high poly.

I don't know about GZDoom, but in Doomsday, the model is lit with a cube-map that is extracted from the level geometry. It's not perfect, but it looks good. 

Baking textures down with lighting is great for stuff for with no lighting, but if you do have a lighting system, baked lighting (apart from something like an ambient occlusion bake) will fight with it. 

I don't know if either Doomsday or GZDoom can do this, but in EDuke32's Polymer renderer, you could specify where you wanted lamps to be, and then include them as a text file with the map. When the renderer read the level to display it on screen, it would look at the text file and then place dynamic lights in the level where the file specified. That way, you could back-port dynamic lighting to existing maps without altering the original map files. 

Edited by Tea Monster

On 6/18/2019 at 11:04 PM, jupiter_ex said:

sorry to bump an oldish thread but this is an excellent question and yes, I believe that with the skilled people out there and the access to modeling software there's no reason why there shouldn't be a decent (I love how the word is decent) 3D model pack. Unfortunately, many of us haven't found any and come back asking ourselves this question.*snip*

*cough* https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/1833659

On 6/21/2019 at 6:32 AM, Tea Monster said:

I've seen all of that. As a matter of fact I thought I had liked the post. Apparently not.

Anyway as seen in the rest of my post my biggest complaint is the animations. If you guys can pull out good animations you have my blessing.

Aaaand... if I'm allowed to be slightly critic the barrel in that photo is exactly what I meant when I spoke about textures being too clean. I think the barrel needs more rust, dirt, wearing, etc

I have nothing to add to this discussion that hasn't been said before by the "If you're gonna do it, just create Doom monsters for Quake 1" camp.

But I just wanted to post this again.