Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty

Nova III - now on /idgames

17 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Found a couple of minor visual things, which you'll see in the FDA. The major one was a bleeding flat right outside the finale area.

This one left me scratching my head, since every time i tested the whole area i never encountered that visual glitch, even after testing after watching the demo recording it showed up just fine so i have no idea why it shows up on your demo (and scotty's too) yet it shows fine on my end, i think i have it fixed now

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

Removing all unnecessary doors would be a smart move here, it would give the double benefit of making the map more free flowing while also making the incidental combat far more dynamic as it promotes monsters attacking from more angles.

I've done some testing by removing most of the doors, and yeah you're right, it really changes gameplay in a good way

Thank you all for the feedback, i'll keep it in mind for the next revision, i'll add a couple of more monsters plus some other changes to keep the dificulty consistent with the episode

Small bump

Here's an update to my map based on the feedback received

-Visual glitch fixes
-Changed some textures for a less repetitive look on the outdoors areas
-Removed most doors, allowing for more incidental combat
-Changed some monsters, and added some more to increase the difficulty a bit
-Changed the level's music to 'Conductor' (midi by Jimmy)

Difficulty settings haven't set yet, i'll get to do them once the current difficulty feels fine

lunar comms station v2.zip

Posting my feedback for Map 24 from @Albertoni since I'm playtesting e3 and don't see him on the discord channel:

Map 24 The Ship That Wore A Mask: Overall fun and a rather challenging map with some traps I didn't liked for the required foreknowledge or you die like the chaingunners room with the rl at the beginning and the vile room; although the map is short so in the end I don't mind too much. Really liked the visuals with the nice contrast between the tech-base and the hell sections via dark/light gradients. The secret BFG is very powerfull making some areas really less dangerous and it is also very difficult to find without doom builder. I would put a plasma rifle with like 80-100 ammo just before the room with the vile and the BK. The final area is tricky particularly the second wave involving the viles + cyber: I used the BFG for this which actually make it more manageable, never tryed without but looked tough

Thank you very much, @Paul977. I do not agree with your sentiment, as the map is quite toned down outside of UV, and I believe UV should be a challenge. Still, it's done for all I care, unless bugs are found. Sorry for the late reply, I've been giving the community a break while I work on my current project. Otherwise I'd be spending all the time talking about it instead of getting stuff done.

My map is exactly where I left off with it last year :v I should be able to get it done by the end of next month though especially since I can use GZDB now (still need to get used to it fully though)

Untitled.png

The post listing the latest alpha build was updated back at the end of May. Has the maplist been updated since then, so that an updated list can be added to the post?

Are there any more updates to this project? I'm not trying to look like a jerk, but Pegleg has a point - the wad has not been updated for quite some time.

I was fearing this project was shelved but glad to hear it wasn't. There being a discord has conpletely flown over my head.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:42 PM, Scotty said:

14:40 *untitled* - @Tactical Stiffy [please tell what you want to call your map!!!]

Death Crypt? I dunno. I was never good a picking map names =/

Congrats on nearing completion! I'll probably stream myself playing through the beta once it's released; very interested in seeing where the NOVA project has gone without my direction!

Wow so much time has passed... sorry to say I don't remember anymore where the music I have used is from.

If you want I can select another one, with better credits.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:08 AM, Tactical Stiffy said:

Death Crypt? I dunno. I was never good a picking map names =/

Death Crypt is a serviceable name for sure although it is somewhat generic... Perhaps it might be cool use the fountain that turns to blood as inspiration seeing as that is one of the most notable features of the map? Crimson Fountain, Water Into Blood, Crimson Overflow, something like that perhaps? It's ultimately up to you though.

1 hour ago, Angry Saint said:

Wow so much time has passed... sorry to say I don't remember anymore where the music I have used is from.

If you want I can select another one, with better credits.

It's ok i will find out the correct credit somehow, i am sure that midi has appeared in another wad so someone out there will know :)

28 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's ok i will find out the correct credit somehow, i am sure that midi has appeared in another wad so someone out there will know :)

So it's the music that starts at around 1:24:00 in the video? It was previously used in A.L.T. and Threnody; the latter credits it as "Zoetic" by Vital.

Speaking of music, I still need new music for my map. I will try and find a suitable track tonight. Or, if there is not enough time to add music before the beta, have something ready for the final release.

6 hours ago, obake said:

Speaking of music, I still need new music for my map. I will try and find a suitable track tonight. Or, if there is not enough time to add music before the beta, have something ready for the final release.

Feel free to use any of my weird stuff: 

And these maps look really cool; I look forward to playing them!

18 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

So it's the music that starts at around 1:24:00 in the video? It was previously used in A.L.T. and Threnody; the latter credits it as "Zoetic" by Vital.

Yes, that's it! I used it also for the Tyvivec map in Threnody, thank you for finding it out!

On 5/25/2019 at 8:01 PM, Immorpher said:

Feel free to use any of my weird stuff: 

And these maps look really cool; I look forward to playing them!

Thanks. I'll give them a whirl. :)

Hihi, finally got back to the playtesting streams. Played a late E1 addition then maps 11-16 (including secret levels). N.b. i have updated the second post in the thread with the prospective final map list. I forget if i have said this before, but i will wait on releasing a public beta until these playtest streams are done and all the kinks of the wad have been ironed out.

Timestamps (also in vid description):

0:30 Scarlet Syzygy - Xyzzy01
13:55 Terramin - Chainworm666 (i cannot find this person on doomworld?) This map has a softlock that absolutely needs fixing plus the final areas could do with some re-thinking. Also, this map needs a midi.
34:28 Beautiful Agony - @sincity2100 - i think it could be worth tweaking this map, balancing it for playthroughs that do not collect any secrets. This map also needs a midi.
54:11 *untitled* - @dt_ MAP NAME PLEASE :P
1:11:47 El Dorado - @Albertoni - see my above comments for sincity's map here too, as i feel this map has the same issue. Also the exit switch needs fixing.
1:34:54 Megiddo III - A2Rob, Paul977, Pegleg, Scotty
2:29:50 Solar Powered - Big ol' Billy
3:02:15 Fireblu Palace - Bemused, Scotty

3:16:00 Dregs of a Bitter Cup - Obake

If anyone knows what alias Chainworm666 uses these days, please let me know...

Edited by Scotty

More playtesting in the books! Maps 17-23 covered here.

0:00 Khmeer Agul Tan - Wereknight

21:46 Napkin Math - Killer5

31:05 Ancestral Domain - Paul977

43:56 Ritual Horror - Scotty

1:04:25 Platform Base - Skeletonpatch

1:39:28 Lunar Comms Station - DMPhobos

2:03:25 Lunatic Dais - Finakala/Paul977

Again, if any mapper wants the TL:DR without watching the video, let me know and i'll post my thoughts on any given map here instead. I don't think there were any glaring issues with any maps played in this session though, just opportunities for tuning up.

Quick bump just to add that i am seeking non-mapping contributions for this project, if anyone out there is interested in contributing in such a capacity. Specifically...

- midis; for title, intermission and story screens

- artwork; title screen, M_DOOM graphic, game end screen, story screens

- lore/story writing (please don't let it come down to me writing this, for the sake of everyone who has to read it :P )

Drop me a pm or come find me on the discord if you are interested! It would be most welcome :)

Edited by Scotty

On 6/20/2019 at 11:55 PM, Scotty said:

If anyone knows what alias Chainworm666 uses these days, please let me know...

Hi, as NeedHealth already said, I go by P1NKAC1D by now (it's based on a Alien Trilogy cheat code if anyone cares).

I stopped following this project since there were months of no updates and finally nearly forgot about it. Somehow, today at work I thought about it and lol, suddenly there are updates, and even a demand regarding my map.

Well, I just got home from work and watched your playtrough, and I have to agree with most of stuff you said there. Actually I have to admit: 3/4 of the map is pure crap. Different styles clashing together, and it gets pretty uninspired and boring after the pyramid. I would do so much stuff different today. So I got this thought: Since I don't even have the files anymore on my PC, how about I remake this map completely from scratch? Or is it already too late for something like that?

On 8/8/2019 at 5:36 PM, P1NKAC1D said:

Hi, as NeedHealth already said, I go by P1NKAC1D by now (it's based on a Alien Trilogy cheat code if anyone cares).

I stopped following this project since there were months of no updates and finally nearly forgot about it. Somehow, today at work I thought about it and lol, suddenly there are updates, and even a demand regarding my map.

Well, I just got home from work and watched your playtrough, and I have to agree with most of stuff you said there. Actually I have to admit: 3/4 of the map is pure crap. Different styles clashing together, and it gets pretty uninspired and boring after the pyramid. I would do so much stuff different today. So I got this thought: Since I don't even have the files anymore on my PC, how about I remake this map completely from scratch? Or is it already too late for something like that?

Hey, glad to see you are still around. I don't think a complete remake is advisory at this point and either way it'd be a shame to throw away a lot of what you created initially - the mine theme is cool not to mention the masses of sector machinery and furniture on display, which is always fun. Focusing on an overhaul of the problem areas would go a long way and make for a memorable map because of the nice detailing work you have into it. I can extract the map from the current wad build and send it to you for some edits, how about that?