27 - Beta Three - dt_
28 - Mare Crisium - Benjogami
29 - Deep Space 9mm - amok
30 - Into the Unknown - Eris Falling, Paul977, Scotty

Secret

31 - Solar Powered - Big ol' Billy
32 - Fireblu Palace - Bemused, Scotty

Edited by Scotty

Great to see the red energy field texture finally animated! I'll focus now on getting my map finished and balanced since I'm done with the DMP stuff.

Posting current versions for both my maps here...

Port Murder

Fury Begins

Both maps have been tweaked with people's input from the previous thread. There's two things I wanted to bring up...

-Changed PM's midi to Stuart Rynn's "The Face of Wrath" (should be more fitting of the theme?)

-For FB; a lot of issues came up with the arch/rev encounter near the end of the level (archie going aggro before the walls lower, sometimes even attacking the player, or the encounter being too hard). I've tried finding a happy middle where the arch-viles spawn in later in the fight. Also added some cover in front of the yellow door :V

Edited by A2Rob

25 minutes ago, A2Rob said:

Posting current versions for both my maps here...

Port Murder

Fury Begins

Both maps have been tweaked with people's input from the previous thread. There's two things I wanted to bring up...

-Changed PM's midi to Stuart Rynn's "The Face of Wrath" (should be more fitting of the theme?)

-For FB; a lot of issues came up with the arch/rev encounter near the end of the level (archie going aggro before the walls lower, sometimes even attacking the player, or the encounter being too hard). I've tried finding a happy middle where the arch-viles spawn in later in the fight. Also added some cover in front of the yellow door :V

Nice one, will take a look when i can.

6 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

I just realized some people have more than one map here. Has that always been a thing?

If you check out previous Novas, yes, and i'll continue in that vein... if we have an excess of maps (which i doubt) i'll take it as it comes, removing my own work if necessary. I just want to get 32 maps in and sort them out at this point.

32 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

If I'm counting right, there are 22 "finished" maps currently? That's quite a bit more needed.

Yup - but we'll get there! I believe there are a decent number of WIP maps out there, even if people are quiet right now.

11 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Welp. I did a triple-take when seeing the thread title. Congrats :P

Hehe, i basically couldn't think of a great sub-title for the project at this point so opted for a pun regarding the project status...!

Well I was/am working on a map but it was a hell map and I remember that the hell episode was already nearly full when i first mentioned it so I'm not sure if I will be able to submit it since that was a while ago :(

13 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

NOVA III: Ω < 1

Nova III: Open Universe could work... is that what you're suggesting?

Also do you have ANY interest in finishing off that possible E3 map?

11 hours ago, therektafire said:

Well I was/am working on a map but it was a hell map and I remember that the hell episode was already nearly full when i first mentioned it so I'm not sure if I will be able to submit it since that was a while ago :(

E1 still needs two more maps. I'll put you down as WIP, so as long as you get something submitted by the March 1st deadline.

Edited by Scotty

53 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Nova III: Open Universe could work... is that what you're suggesting?

Also do you have ANY interest in finishing off that possible E3 map?

"Kinda?" to both. Since this is nova I meant it as like a space-themed play on No End in Sight, heh.

As for the map, yes but I don't currently have a plan for the rest of the map and I'm glacially slow even with a plan so I don't want to hold up the project. Highly doubt I could get it done by March tbh.

Just a little post so I can keep track of how this develops. Thanks for your good work, guys / gals.

Might end up making a third map since everything is so slow, but no promises.

I didn't notice that Nova III switched to a new thread. It's a good thing that I randomly happened to be looking at page 4 of the subforum or I may have missed this. I'm still working on my moon map, it's been progressing steadily and I think I should have more worth showing soon.

My map is called Platform Base, it is a sort of office complex that the UAC decided to build on the moon, because they could. The UAC also built it suspended two stories above the ground, because they could. Hence the name, "Platform Base".

Here are some quick screenshots:

Spoiler

This is the exterior. It isn't quite finished yet as there are two support/entrance pillars still missing. The majority of the map takes place "inside" the platform and is divided into the north, south, east, west and central sections. I plan on adding some small exterior buildings so that the outdoor section serves more of a purpose, but at this point I'm mostly focusing on the interior of the base which has been coming along quite well.

5a5aee3a5fa20_Platform_Baseat2018_01.1322-42-57.316R2787.jpg.599e46c5d533974d5be3f02bd20ebab2.jpg

This is the hangar bay located inside the northern section of the platform. I haven't added much detail yet but this should be a fairly major part of the map once it's finished.

5a5aee3be622b_Platform_Baseat2018_01.1322-43-33.556R2787.jpg.45a0d6dad273ae3e0a51a232ea153319.jpg

Here is the automap so far. The left half is the exterior and the right half is the interior. I plan to leave little to no wasted space in the interior once this is finished.

5a5af11bbd1bf_Platform_Baseat2018_01.1322-56-04.991R2787.jpg.06ac35f84d8a3ae363e6b608ce4e94b6.jpg

I haven't added many items or monsters yet, and am kind of making the layout up as I go along whilst trying to make it seem like a functional place that has been overrun by demons.

Let me know how this looks so far and give me any input you might have.

How do you want me to share the map once it's ready for testing?

7 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

How do you want me to share the map once it's ready for testing?

Just post the .wad file. Upload it to Mediafire, Mega, Google Drive or Dropbox.

I'm interested in how you're transitioning between the areas. I don't remember Boom having anything that allowed you to teleport during an elevator ride, and this kind of hackery interests me.

7 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

Let me know how this looks so far and give me any input you might have.

It's hard to give detailed feedback on very WIP images really, outside of the usual general "good mapping" type guidelines (avoid making areas that are just single rooms connected by corridors, have areas interconnect that with each other, make use of verticality, etc). Conceptually your general map idea seems like it will create a good sense of place, which is a good starting point. Just keep going for now :)

I've made a fair bit of progress with my map that I think its worth posting an update, mainly redesigning a few key areas and addressing the issues and comments from the FDAs (which have been a lot of help, thanks!).

- Added a couple rooms to the main Rocket building as there wasn't much to do there in the previous version but now you've got the plasma, backpack and red key, all up for grabs.

-Also redesigned the central building which is a sort of command hub complete with sector automap (speaking of which I've just realised I've not cleaned up the automap but I've already uploaded the file so avert your eyes for now!).

-Moved the SSG so you can get it much earlier and placed the plasmagun where the SSG used to be.

-General bugfixing, texture-cleanup, monster and ammo placement.

I've not changed the dual cyber fight yet as you suggested Scotty, but I do agree that its quite lame so don't worry it will be replaced once I get some ideas going.

Similarly with the bluekey door, I've left it untagged for now until I can think of something but essentially it's going to be a shortcut to the exit allowing you to skip some of the final monster backlash.

There's probably still plenty of untextured walls, clipping midtextures and slime trails but I'm slowly working through them as I notice them!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wl77n7u14cnzqfp/nova3-deepspace9mmV2.wad?dl=1

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20180114_160929.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180114_160956.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180114_161013.pngScreenshot_Doom_20180114_161141.png

3 hours ago, Albertoni said:

I'm interested in how you're transitioning between the areas. I don't remember Boom having anything that allowed you to teleport during an elevator ride, and this kind of hackery interests me.

There are no elevators. Inside each support/entrance pillar is a teleporter that takes you up to the base. I would have attempted to make a sort of room that teleports you into an elevator, which is something I did in the first iteration of my map, but it took up way more space than I wanted it to and it didn't look very good anyway. I would most certainly have done that if I could figure out how to do it in as little space as possible. Sorry if my lack of hackery is disappointing, but my mapping tricks aren't quite that advanced. I don't think it's possible to do what you suggested and remain Boom compatible anyway.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

avoid making areas that are just single rooms connected by corridors, have areas interconnect that with each other, make use of verticality, etc. Conceptually your general map idea seems like it will create a good sense of place, which is a good starting point. Just keep going for now :)

Um... I've been trying to do those things but for the most part it is literally a bunch of small rooms connected by corridors. I'll try to find a way to properly connect them as the southern section of the platform is pretty cramped at the moment... Most likely will include some structural damage to open up everything. The majority of the interior is also pretty flat... I'm not entirely sure how I'll solve this problem at this point but at least I noticed that it was there while I was taking those screenshots last night. I think I'll add a second (or, technically third?) floor since the platform doesn't seem to have enough space to include everything on one floor. At least, without cramping the hell out of everything.

5 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

Um... I've been trying to do those things but for the most part it is literally a bunch of small rooms connected by corridors. I'll try to find a way to properly connect them as the southern section of the platform is pretty cramped at the moment... Most likely will include some structural damage to open up everything. The majority of the interior is also pretty flat... I'm not entirely sure how I'll solve this problem at this point but at least I noticed that it was there while I was taking those screenshots last night. I think I'll add a second (or, technically third?) floor since the platform doesn't seem to have enough space to include everything on one floor. At least, without cramping the hell out of everything.

I get that it can be tricky to get your head around how to implement that kind of thing initially, i've been there, and i'm sure all the top mappers were also there when they first started out. My best advice is to examine some other wads you like with larger, perhaps more complex rooms in them, and see how they use sectors within a single "room" to give it more depth, perhaps also consider how you would go about replicating that room in the editor, if you wanted to (it may help you understand how to translate ideas into a Doom map). A way i like to work is to have this one massive open area, and then try to build within that space, only removing map area if necessary. I try to only use doors if necessary, as a blockade - just to help open a map up and create a more interesting space to be in. Also remember you have lifts, stairs and teleporters at your disposal for creating and navigating areas with height variation. Try to bear these things in mind but don't stress too much... just keep going with mapping, the more mapping you do the better you'll understand how to create the spaces you want to create. Get something finished and we can go from there, sometimes it is easier to modify a map than it is to create from a blank canvas.

Here's a little update on my map's progress.

I decided I should end the map with a boss fight on the roof:

5a736a3ac97e5_Platform_Baseat2018_02.0112-17-51.082R2787.jpg.cd9f104a372ddd92c54563f1f692404b.jpg

Most of the rest of the map is in place I just need to start adding the enemies and fix the architecture because at this point there isn't very much height difference in the floors.

Here's the updated version of my level. Now accepting opinions for other difficulties.

- Minor changes in layout and monster placements

- Added difficulty settings

- Adjusted background music for better loop

Click here to download (beta2)

Is there a chance to get that black spine texture combined into one? For some weird reason, it's split in half and doesn't tile at all.

@Spectre01 i took a look at this - nice spot - merging them is no problem, i'll update the tex wad at some point (gimme a few weeks though, got a tonne of stuff on the go right now).

Speaking of textures, @antares031 is your map entirely made of addon textures? It appears that way. I'm not sure about the prospect of that to be honest, because it adds unnecessary bloat to the texture wad especially where there are masses of general usage rock and tech textures already in there. Perhaps we can reach a compromise on this while still retaining the base aesthetic of your map - i certainly think it is doable.

I find that the current texture pack provides more than enough custom assets, but maybe that's just me. Also, I should be able to get a beta of my map up relatively soon; just need to get the final encounter working.

Also, whenever I open my map in GZDoom Builder, it always gives me this error:

5a7a5b4080ce9_Platform_Baseat2018_02.0618-48-17.260R2787.jpg.a2df78a6739f43e769b16ba96e3432d2.jpg

GOTHLTH1 is this texture:

GOTHLTH1.PNG.e66c3bc1a839b53538365d3f0944e348.PNG

I don't think this causes any problems, and I haven't even used this texture anywhere in my map but seeing the little error counter flashing red constantly is really starting to get annoying...

Also in terms of the textures used by antares031, I wouldn't mind having many of those textures available, particularly the UAC banners that he featured everywhere. I like the aesthetic and I think many of those textures could be put to good use in the other moon maps.