Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty

Nova III - now on /idgames

"30 maps in total"? I thought there were 32 maps. In the second post of this entire thread, I saw two maps listed as "untitled", but they clearly have map authors attributed to them. So... I don't quite get it. 

Edited by Poncho1

3 hours ago, Poncho1 said:

"30 maps in total"? I thought there were 32 maps. In the second post of this entire thread, I saw two maps listed as "untitled", but they clearly have map authors attributes to them. So... I don't quite get it. 

I can't see where any post states that about 30 maps but there are indeed going to be 32 maps in the final wad. At one point there were 30 but for two late additions so maybe that is where the confusion arises. The untitled maps are so because the authors haven't named them yet...

On 5/21/2019 at 4:42 AM, Scotty said:

Time for a thread update i guess. Work has been continuing on this project, although the Discord has been where the action is. All maps are complete now - 30 in total. So "all" that remains is fine tuning and a bunch of general administrative work on my part...

Here's one of your comments, from the 21st of May, that states "All maps are complete now - 30 in total".

Mistake, perhaps?

Like i say there were two late additions. That stream took place a while ago now.

On 8/13/2019 at 2:44 AM, Scotty said:

Hey, glad to see you are still around. I don't think a complete remake is advisory at this point and either way it'd be a shame to throw away a lot of what you created initially - the mine theme is cool not to mention the masses of sector machinery and furniture on display, which is always fun. Focusing on an overhaul of the problem areas would go a long way and make for a memorable map because of the nice detailing work you have into it. I can extract the map from the current wad build and send it to you for some edits, how about that?

Yeah you're right, I still like most of the first half pretty much.

I searched my external hard drives and actually found the map, so I started changing some stuff yesterday and today, about the first half to the point where you get into the ruins is done. I changed some smaller areas here and there, added and/or removed monsters and items and also fixed some bugs and textures I found while playtesting. In the next few days I'm planning to do:

- Remove the green marble stuff and replace it with textures that fit the pyramid theme

- Completely rework that cube room area

- Add some more action around the pyramid, I have to admit there are some parts where almost nothing happens

By the way, the name of the map was supposed to be "Terraforming mines", not "Terramin" - terramin.wad was just the file name. The original idea was it took place on the moon that was going to be terraformed and they found some ancient alien ruins while mining, but since I dropped the idea and transformed it into the jungle/temple theme of episode 2, I think we can keep "Terramin" - it sounds ancient and exotic so it somehow fits :)

I also found the midi I originally uploaded with the V1 release, but it sound horrible ingame. But I asked AcidicVoid (who has done the Chainworm Kommando soundtrack) if he can send me some new music!

@Scotty Sorry for disappearing. I rebalanced the amount of ammo and a few battles in El Dorado. It should be more or less done after this. The last battle is still a bit hellish, but I removed most revenants, one archvile and the other arch-vile is somewhere where it cannot revive monsters.

Here you go: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13rrmdKEpJM2SsRReT2Sl3_VsOSwykJwu

Any ideas as for when this is going to get released? How many maps are we still waiting for?

Just waiting for some map tuneups and graphics and then i will post the prospective final wad. Come hell or high water this will be posted by the end of November.

Edited by Scotty

Just waiting on @Bridgeburner56 for some choice lore for the megawad, and need sort out skill settings on one or two maps, then RC1 will be posted. It is 99% done.

I see the title is perhaps looking for some midis. If you are looking for some more intense metal ones, I just tried to polish up some of my old ones from over a decade ago for Doom. Which means I got the volume levels better and they are looping. But they are from when I was first learning composition, so listen at your own risk haha.

Metal Mids.zip

21 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I see the title is perhaps looking for some midis. If you are looking for some more intense metal ones, I just tried to polish up some of my old ones from over a decade ago for Doom. Which means I got the volume levels better and they are looping. But they are from when I was first learning composition, so listen at your own risk haha.

Metal Mids.zip

Feel no shame, @Immorpher. This midis are sick!
Pretty dread and insane feeling in them.
Love it!

Only drawback is their uber darkness and the feeling of inminent catastrophe, they are perfect for boss maps, but not much for other maps. :/
But there are pelnty of boss maps that surely will have space for this amazing midis.

Keep at it!

Darn, I am very late to the party. I was going to express my interest in taking a map slot. I always wanted to contribute to a community project. Challenge myself and all. No worries though, I can't wait for the full release!

6 hours ago, TheV1perK1ller said:

Darn, I am very late to the party. I was going to express my interest in taking a map slot. I always wanted to contribute to a community project. Challenge myself and all. No worries though, I can't wait for the full release!

I'm usually not a fan of publicizing other projects within the thread for a particular project, but there are a couple community projects ongoing that are still accepting submissions if you're still interested:

I just played the first 10 maps with Guncaster on UV continuous. No complaints as of yet. I did get turned around on map10 after grabbing the first two keys. I didn't notice the side paths leading to the yellow key.

Edited by Bryan T

Congrats on the RC release! It's definitely been a long road, glad to see the end is finally in sight :P

Congrats on the RC release (I didn't copy AD, but I can't think of something better ;P). I realize there's a Zzul's map, heh, and I'm looking forward to play it.

Congrats on the RC release! (this is a thing now) I don't have much time to play Doom sadly but I did play through MAP30 to see what was done with that..thing I made in, what was it, 2015? I was really surprised to see all of what little I'd made was still here, and recognisably so too. I really like what was done with my light pillars, putting them in black void looks really dang cool, bit of a God Machine feel with those sections imo. I was further surprised that it didn't seem all that difficult on ultra-violence barring a couple of fights, were you guys aiming for a lower difficulty or have I just somehow gotten better from Eviternity testing being more or less the only Doom I've played this year?

I'm not sure if it was intended it for effect but:

Spoiler

In the cacoswarm fight at the end, the monsters that teleport in easily telefrag each other because of the MAP30 behaviour.

Also:

Spoiler

That ambush when you take the yellow skull got me real good. Best jumpscare I've ever had out of a Doom WAD, nicely done :D

So yeah, big thanks to Scotty and Paul977 for salvaging my little 'map' and turning it into something not only playable, but something cool :)

Yahoo! This is the greatest news ever :)

Here's hoping it gets both a Cacoward nom and a DWMC Playthrough!

Why, this has been a long time coming hasn't it? Can't wait to give it a playthrough.

9 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

Congrats on the RC release! (this is a thing now) I don't have much time to play Doom sadly but I did play through MAP30 to see what was done with that..thing I made in, what was it, 2015? I was really surprised to see all of what little I'd made was still here, and recognisably so too. I really like what was done with my light pillars, putting them in black void looks really dang cool, bit of a God Machine feel with those sections imo. I was further surprised that it didn't seem all that difficult on ultra-violence barring a couple of fights, were you guys aiming for a lower difficulty or have I just somehow gotten better from Eviternity testing being more or less the only Doom I've played this year?

I'm not sure if it was intended it for effect but:

Reveal hidden contents

In the cacoswarm fight at the end, the monsters that teleport in easily telefrag each other because of the MAP30 behaviour.

Also:

Reveal hidden contents

That ambush when you take the yellow skull got me real good. Best jumpscare I've ever had out of a Doom WAD, nicely done :D

So yeah, big thanks to Scotty and Paul977 for salvaging my little 'map' and turning it into something not only playable, but something cool :)

Hell yeah dude. I kept off the difficulty (to an extent) with map30 because i felt it matched up to the rest of the wad better that way. Paul was a savior in this map as with map15 - and 23 actually - because he filled in the gaps and kept things going both with the mapping and with my motivation for this project, just wanna publicly thank him for that right now.

You are welcome Scotty and thanks to you too, I immagine it is not exactly a walk in the park to lead a 32 maps community project ^

@gum_of_hate, the purple pixel there isn't actually a switch, just an oddly coloured pixel within that particular texture; what's going on there is that the eye-switch texture is spread across five lines (lindef 128 and then 1657, 1661, 1678, and 1679) and all five of those lines function as switches when really only the middle one (linedef 1679) should.  You probably caught the two lines next to the eye with your "push switch" action while facing the purple eye, which is why you could do it twice but no more; go to the other side of the eye and you could probably also push that area twice.

Playing through this mapset on Skill 2. Very fun so far. Difficulty seems to have gone way up on MAP06 and I haven't beaten it yet but I've uploaded the failures.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but in MAP03 in GLBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4 at least, there's a HOM near the exit portal on the floor. it's visible in the video.

Also I'll attach the demos.

On 12/2/2019 at 5:46 PM, NeedHealth said:

Map03 is rather lackluster.

LOL. I enjoyed your map a lot. But at the end I needed health!

duckNovaMAP01-MAP06.zip

@DuckReconMajor Thanks! Today I wouldn't have made it a racetrack level but it is what it is. I'll saw a couple texture errors, and that vertex error isnt visible in prboom. Which is what I have tested the map in, mea culpa.

I played through the first 3 levels on uv pistol starts. They are definitely on the easier side, although I managed to die once in map03 due to my own stupid gameplay.

I really liked the tech-hell theme on map03, especially in the room right where the first teleporter takes you.

I'll probably record more if I got time, either way I'll be giving this a playthrough.

nova3rc1_1-3.7z

I'm writing a map by map review, I'll probably post it when I finish each 10 maps so not to spam too much.

That said, the text before MAP07 got a typo, hinderance instead of hindrance.

MAP06: Thing 654 (teleport destination) not flagged for Easy, arch-vile unable to teleport in.

RC1 is pretty good as far as thing bugs go besides that! Nice work.