Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Misty

Darkness Flaw - short map for Chocolate Doom(uploaded in idgames now)

This map was created in one day as experiment to see if I can do vanilla maps without causing crash. After some polishing and bugfixes I decided to put here, because I would like to hear some criticism and see some demos. At the some point at the future I'll redesign it in boom format and include it in my short small mapset. But for now, I'm releasing this as stand alone.

So main information:

Map format: vanilla Doom II format, replaces map01
Tested with: Chocorenderlimits, prboom+ 2.5.1.4 on complevel 2, gzdoom 3.2.4.
I didn't test it in dosbox, but I would like to know if it can run it without causing crashes.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

8NpEIt9.png
hLmCLCE.png
lmuj5JC.png
2err3pZ.png

If any problems are encountered, please let me know, so I could fix it.

Download:

dark_flaw.zip (first version of the map)

Edited by Myst.Haruko

FDA in prB+: darknessflaw_rd_fda.zip

Spoiler

- I think the open-close door at the start should stay open. 

- Fight with the imps and chaingunners is campy and the monsters dispose of half their own ranks. Would get rid of the imps there -- lots of imps teleporting behind the player, into the start room, would be stronger imo.

- The next room after that, the spectres are a bit awkward because of infinite height blocking. 

- I never really saw the point of the mancubus and imps replenishing here.

- The next room is okay-ish, but I'd lower the area with the arachnotron a lot so it can contribute to the action more easily. As is, it can't hit you from half of the room.

- Revs and chaingunners and vile is the highlight of the map.

- I just bailed on the rest of the map here because it looked like it'd be a cleanup fight prosecuted through doorways, and I didn't want to stick around just to kill the manc on the central turret however many more times.

Decent visual theme, but on the gameplay front I think almost every other map I've played by you recently is stronger.

I thought about that today, like reducing count of monsters in closets, because it could bore players, but as usual I forgot about it. For other things, I was afraid to break visplane limits as map is in plain vanilla format, so I couldn't put some bigger stuff as I really like to do in boom format. This map serves as experiment, but I'll fix it and make gameplay a bit stronger and put here again. 

Anyway, I'll wait for more responses and see which parts are weakest ones for full bugfixes in one. 

Edited by Myst.Haruko

Oh so you are "A" on FB!

Some 80s colors gone wild, just like BlackMetalChainsaw's ongoing project.

8 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Oh so you are "A" on FB!

Some 80s colors gone wild, just like BlackMetalChainsaw's ongoing project.

Of course, I always been that way. Well, my approach is a bit different as her project, because I mostly focus on vanilla/boom format for full compatibility in various ports and reach everyone who likes more vanilla stuff. 

I really like this colour scheme. Would be nice to see more maps using it, I love seeing lots of "stand-out" colours in maps.

Played on Zdoom, compatibility Doom(strict),Ultra Violence, keyboard and mouse(never mouselook because ew). 100%kills, 50%secrets, 50%items.

Hey, pretty cool map! Felt really good, like a decent warm-up map before something a little bit more "meaty". Some thoughts about the map:

Spoiler

+Gameplay was engaging for the most part. Good use of Spectres(aside from the infinite height blocking)in dark areas and the Archvile usage.

+Simplistic yet good looking design, cool textures and plenty of room to fight for the most part.

+Custom palette was cool as heck. 

+Good overall distribution of ammo and health throughout. 

-Like I mentioned before, infinite height was a bit in the way.

-Some traps were slow and predictable and also easily avoidable. It's nice that you don't trap the player but this was a little bit too easy.

-2 Green Armors near each other? UV should get only 1, maybe on lower difficulty place the 2nd one a little further in.

-The replenishing monsters, especially the Imps since after the initial attack, I had to wait for them to teleport in so I can kill them and they didn't pose any threat.

As a side note, the palette makes my custom HUD look pretty cool! I like it very much(don't worry, my gameplay mod does not change a single aspect of the game aside from the new graphics).

Screenshot_Doom_20180103_022158.png

I'm planning to create more maps using this palette, but in other format, which lets more mapping freedom than plain doom 2 format. I'm doing quick changes for better experience and reduce monster/ammo count, unless someone has more ideas how to redesign it. Or I should move it in boom and expand it for the real thing. 

36 minutes ago, Decay said:

I really like this colour scheme. Would be nice to see more maps using it, I love seeing lots of "stand-out" colours in maps.

Isn't it similar to ancient aliens? 

Some suggestions: 

Spoiler

-In the Rev + HK trap, maybe try a fast rising floor trap instead of lowering walls.

-In the final room, maybe try trapping the player in with the Revvies and put a switch in one of their closets.

-Replace the Shotgun Guys on the small ledges with Chaingunners, also 1 more PE could cause some extra challenge.

-Get rid of some of the Stimpacks and the extra Armor, especially on higher difficulty levels.

-Maybe a little bit more monsters(Demons might work IMO) in the teleport monster closet? something that could justify the rocket ammo or just put less rockets I guess.

Honestly in terms of the design of the level itself, it's still in very basic form and a lot more could still be done with it but I don't think you necessarily need to bump it to Boom unless you have other plans for a future use. 

@Uni Some of your suggestions only are available in boom and above, because id software guys in 1993-1994 didn't think that somewhere in the future of 2018 people will need fast lowering floors to lowest floor and such in simple doom 2 format. For other suggestions, I can include them, as I'm doing that now. 

15 minutes ago, Pirx said:

Isn't it similar to ancient aliens? 

It is, not that it matters because it still remains a widely under used colour scheme IMO.

I'll leave first version the way is it was build, but second version will be boom compatible, because I can't live without generalised actions, voodoo trickery and fast/turbo settings for ceilings/ floors. Boom is superior when it comes more linedef actions for simple stuff and no visplanes to count. 

I think many of the map's issues can be remedied by improved monster usage, and an extra warp-in or two. This would be a good opportunity to practice that stuff. 

The tables on this page (click "expand") will tell you which of the vanilla floor/ceiling actions are fast.

Oh, this is the pigeon03 palette. Overall the palette is pretty nice and the look is definitely your style. I don't know why, after playing your map in pigeon02, then I swapped around in pigeon03, I can recognize your map at the first glance, and this map is also no exception. The gameplay is pretty good with some dangerous traps.

As rdwpa said, I don't like the part where Mancubi teleporting in one after another. I guess if you really want to "punish" the player for being conservative killing everything, just put an Arch-vile after the first Mancubus. Some fights could be opened up quicker? (That Revenant/HK trap and the last 4 Revenants)

(I'm not a mapper now, so I may say something that can't be done in vanilla format. I hope not though)

This was a pretty nice map you made here. It looks good in vanilla (though, there is a but too much gray for my liking), and there were no compatibility issues I found. The gameplay is nice and laid back with a few moments of light intensity. Personally, I love maps that let the player take fights at your own pace and allow him or her to run away from an ambush; that being said, I feel that maybe adding a bit more pressure on the player would work to this map's benefit. Also, as some have mentioned, the lowering floor traps would benefit greatly from using the much faster "floor lower to 8 above highest floor" action. I enjoyed the map myself -- quick, open, and mostly painless.

It's nice to see all good words and encourages. Tommorrow I'll try fix it keeping it vanilla and maybe replacing some dark textures into purple ones for less grey visuals. I think locking doors with bars would be good idea after jumping in main action and only letting player to escape after things are cleared with that teleporter and providing switch on over side if player wants return to check missed stuff.

Anyway, I love grey/black textures and those green all seeing eyes and I don't know if I'll ever get tired of them.

Oh, forgot to say something about the palette. Since the main colors being purple, cyan/teal (it looks more cyan to me) and grey, I really hope the keys are purple, cyan/teal and grey, which match the theme perfectly. As in Stardate 20x7, I really like that matching theme with everything.

Well, for this short map, I'll rename only blue/skull key into purple one. For my small mapset project, I'll replace some stuff(as I said in the first post that I'll use this map redesigned for that solo mapset thing). Well, I'll be offline for several hours, because I'm tired as heck.

I'm adding new update. I don't know if it's for better or worse. Demos, videos and criticism are appreciated as usual. Map is still in vanilla format and it shouldn't cause problems in vanilla ports or even dosbox. Updated link is in the first post. 

Another update for the map. If nobody responds, I'll consider it as finished and submit it in idgames. 

The map feels very accommodating to different play-styles (such as allowing players to run away from enemies, players will never be trapped and forced to fight in certain areas) and has some nice small but appreciated touches like custom music, sky, and a palette. Overall it feels like a map that would be the start of an advanced megawad.

I'm not a pro at Doom but playing the first version of the map for the first time [by accident] made me feel like I'm getting a nice challenge on UV without it being too hard or easy. The level of detail is appropriate especially with vanilla limits taken into account. It's not too detailed nor too bland. (map01-755.zip)

I decided to try out the latest version after my first play-through after accidentally using the older version. Although it's still somewhat casual, it has more tricks up its sleeves to punish and catch players off-guard. Also, running away from battles is still possible albeit choices and routes are limited as some entrances and openings can be sealed off now. However, the disadvantage can be greater for the demons as the player (if aiming for 100% kills) can use the one-way in teleporter and take potshots at enemies trapped behind the barred door. There's only one major mistake I noticed in this version, and it's that the Archvile and Revenant are stuck in each other in the closet right by the blue skull key pentagram. Regardless, I had fun like last time. The map manages to keep its formula from the start while introducing plenty of other things to spice up environment. It's just that the update broke a few things.  (map01-827.zip)

Side note: Played and recorded using Chocolate Doom v3.0.0

Edited by UndeadRyker : Demo placement changes so it'll make more sense which demo is which.

Revenant was supposed to appear on easier settings and archvile only on hard in blue/purple skull key area. Thanks for letting me to know about all those issues, I'll take a look once again. 

Have done UV Max run of this map and faced an annoying situation.

Darkness Flaw UV Max in 3:56-dkflaw-356.zip

The situation is that I tried to telefrag the AV with the secret teleporter but failed twice because the AV platform is not small enough. Annoying.

I wanted to fit mancubus on this platform and let move him freely much as he can on 128x128 platform. I don't know if platform on 64 on 64 grid could solve this annoying problem and let him move freely before other monsters show up. 

1 minute ago, Myst.Haruko said:

I wanted to fit mancubus on this platform and let move him freely much as he can on 128x128 platform. I don't know if platform on 64 on 64 grid could solve this annoying problem and let him move freely before other monsters show up. 

Actually this situation reminds me of map15 in pigeon02. It is likely that the 3 barons cannot be telefragged in that map.