Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kb1

KBDoom Questions

On 1/4/2018 at 3:02 PM, Arno said:

Interesting! Thanks, I now have a much better understanding of how you're trying to implement the scripting system with both flexibility and performance in mind. Another advantage of such an approach is that you could easily implement it gradually. A first release could start with only a small subset of the modifiable function pointers. Later on more functions can be exposed without any backward compatibility issues.

Thanks. The gradual implementation is a good point. I'm not sure how far I will be when I finally release. It may not have any game scripting for the first release, cause I am really trying to get that first release out as soon as I feel it is ready.

On 1/4/2018 at 3:53 PM, Spectre01 said:

Will Boom demos finally have a -longtics option?

Currently I only support vanilla, and KBDoom demos, both of which do support longtics. If I decide to support PrBoom+ demo types, I see no problem with allowing longtics. I'll probably will eventually.

On 1/5/2018 at 1:48 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

I don't really want precompiled game scripts.

Me either. Can you elaborate? If the engine contains a byte code compiler and VM, scripts can be compiled at runtime. I'm quite happy with the speed of my current interpreter, which is doing at least half of the work required for a byte-code compiler, so it should be feasible to just compile all scripts at startup.

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2018 at 0:35 AM, ZZYZX said:

I demand screenshots. Even if they are "so much different than PrBoom+".

(for example, you can screenshot your powerful console :P)

Note that I'm not really asking for anything I wouldn't do myself. When I post a thread, I provide either code or a video. If too lazy to record, I at least put in a screenshot, here? Nothing! Looks like vaporware.

Good Lord, you guys are killing me. Here's a screenshot of KBDoom, running internally at 1920x1080, resized into a Win 7 window. The console, with a very ugly background is present, overlayed on the first Doom II v1.666 demo. I typed a few math functions into the console, and the interpreter returned the results. In addition to standard math functions, there's quite a bunch of game-specific functions that are supported as well. The question mark is an abbreviation for the Print command. Some people might appreciate the old 8-bit BASIC dialect :) Is this enough? Can we dispense with the "vaporware" jazz?

kbdoom.jpg.dbcf2d80b327e94f91a3154f811cbbdc.jpg

10 hours ago, kb1 said:

kbdoom.jpg.dbcf2d80b327e94f91a3154f811cbbdc.jpg

I gotta say, the console messages look nice to me.

13 hours ago, taufan99 said:

I gotta say, the console messages look nice to me.

Thanks! The console code was originally very early ZDoom code (which came from Quake :), but it was massively rewritten to work how I like. It shares a lot of the early ZDoom console commands, like "history", "set", "alias", "bind", and others. It's got command history, scroll up/down by line/page, cut/copy/paste, insert/overwrite, left/right by letter or by word, log to file. It's a lot of work building a console, but, once things start working, it can be a lot of fun.