Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kb1

KBDoom Questions

Recommended Posts

On 1/4/2018 at 3:02 PM, Arno said:

Interesting! Thanks, I now have a much better understanding of how you're trying to implement the scripting system with both flexibility and performance in mind. Another advantage of such an approach is that you could easily implement it gradually. A first release could start with only a small subset of the modifiable function pointers. Later on more functions can be exposed without any backward compatibility issues.

Thanks. The gradual implementation is a good point. I'm not sure how far I will be when I finally release. It may not have any game scripting for the first release, cause I am really trying to get that first release out as soon as I feel it is ready.

 

On 1/4/2018 at 3:53 PM, Spectre01 said:

Will Boom demos finally have a -longtics option?

Currently I only support vanilla, and KBDoom demos, both of which do support longtics. If I decide to support PrBoom+ demo types, I see no problem with allowing longtics. I'll probably will eventually.

 

On 1/5/2018 at 1:48 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

I don't really want precompiled game scripts.

Me either. Can you elaborate? If the engine contains a byte code compiler and VM, scripts can be compiled at runtime. I'm quite happy with the speed of my current interpreter, which is doing at least half of the work required for a byte-code compiler, so it should be feasible to just compile all scripts at startup.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/4/2018 at 0:35 AM, ZZYZX said:

I demand screenshots. Even if they are "so much different than PrBoom+".

(for example, you can screenshot your powerful console :P)

 

Note that I'm not really asking for anything I wouldn't do myself. When I post a thread, I provide either code or a video. If too lazy to record, I at least put in a screenshot, here? Nothing! Looks like vaporware.

Good Lord, you guys are killing me. Here's a screenshot of KBDoom, running internally at 1920x1080, resized into a Win 7 window. The console, with a very ugly background is present, overlayed on the first Doom II v1.666 demo. I typed a few math functions into the console, and the interpreter returned the results. In addition to standard math functions, there's quite a bunch of game-specific functions that are supported as well. The question mark is an abbreviation for the Print command. Some people might appreciate the old 8-bit BASIC dialect :) Is this enough? Can we dispense with the "vaporware" jazz?


kbdoom.jpg.dbcf2d80b327e94f91a3154f811cbbdc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, taufan99 said:

I gotta say, the console messages look nice to me.

Thanks! The console code was originally very early ZDoom code (which came from Quake :), but it was massively rewritten to work how I like. It shares a lot of the early ZDoom console commands, like "history", "set", "alias", "bind", and others. It's got command history, scroll up/down by line/page, cut/copy/paste, insert/overwrite, left/right by letter or by word, log to file. It's a lot of work building a console, but, once things start working, it can be a lot of fun.

Share this post


Link to post

oh so that is his source port

 

im sorry for the thread bump but was this source port actually released at some point? seens like it is vaporware

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

oh so that is his source port

 

im sorry for the thread bump but was this source port actually released at some point? seens like it is vaporware

You have answered the question already.

 

The port exists, i believe dew has seen it and screenshots also exist. Its just that it isn't materializing to something solid, so its basically DoomWorld's take on Duke Nukem Forever at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

You have answered the question already.

 

The port exists, i believe dew has seen it and screenshots also exist. Its just that it isn't materializing to something solid, so its basically DoomWorld's take on Duke Nukem Forever at this point.

i was thinking about the phantom system well the port seens interesting hopefully one day it condensates into a solid port

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/19/2021 at 10:01 AM, roadworx said:

where'd kb1 go, anyways? haven't seen him in forever

He has been poofed.

Share this post


Link to post

is this port still maintained? stumbled across this port while looking through the source ports section, it sounds very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, jeremieh said:

is this port still maintained? stumbled across this port while looking through the source ports section, it sounds very interesting.

It never was released and the user has been poofed from this forum, as the last few posts would tell you.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

It never was released and the user has been poofed from this forum, as the last few posts would tell you.

is he still active somewhere else? i woud love to ask him some questions about this port because while i belive it is real i dont buy all of what he is saying

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

is he still active somewhere else? i woud love to ask him some questions about this port because while i belive it is real i dont buy all of what he is saying

I have no idea, some veterans might know. KBDoom supported everything, but since only a very select few have witnessed it or played it, its hard to pinpoint what is correct and what is not.

 

Maybe one day.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I have no idea, some veterans might know. KBDoom supported everything, but since only a very select few have witnessed it or played it, its hard to pinpoint what is correct and what is not.

 

Maybe one day.

oh i see any idea why he was banned from here though? (that is if it isnt rude to ask it here)

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think he was banned. He just disappeared without warning. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

oh i see any idea why he was banned from here though? (that is if it isnt rude to ask it here)

No, no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

oh i see any idea why he was banned from here though? (that is if it isnt rude to ask it here)

He's not banned, his userclass still shows "Members." Banned memebers, IIRC, show "Banned."

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

He's not banned, his userclass still shows "Members." Banned memebers, IIRC, show "Banned."

Only older bans did this (I think specifically only the VB software did this?). Bans now don't change the user title. KB1 is banned, and it was because he constantly derailed threads with his inane bikeshedding, after he was temp banned for the same thing.

 

9 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

KBDoom supported everything

For it to support anything, it had to have been more than a fancy calculator inside of a devconsole.

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

For it to support anything, it had to have been more than a fancy calculator inside of a devconsole.

I mean that was the common thought thrown by kb1, no? It supported everything. There was always a equivalent feature in KBDoom.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I mean that was the common thought thrown by kb1, no? It supported everything. There was always a equivalent feature in KBDoom.

He can certainly claim to have done that, as much as rising fenix could certainly claim to have multithreaded GZDoom. That doesn't make it true and kb1 had absolutely nothing to show for it.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

He can certainly claim to have done that, as much as rising fenix could certainly claim to have multithreaded GZDoom. That doesn't make it true and kb1 had absolutely nothing to show for it.

I never claimed otherwise. Outside of a few screenshots and some remarks, KBDoom is mostly a text-based port if anything else.

Share this post


Link to post

Kb1 was banned on the August 3, 2019 for the reasons that Edward mentioned.

I don't see much point in this thread staying open tbh, the port was never finished and the feature list a pipe dream.

EDIT: Ha, omalefico32x nipping in just before I closed the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

He can certainly claim to have done that, as much as rising fenix could certainly claim to have multithreaded GZDoom. That doesn't make it true and kb1 had absolutely nothing to show for it.

yeah i saw him making a lot of claims about it but i only saw one screenshot of the thing running and while a more powerfull console is nice i dont see how that proves his other claims hell i dont even see how it proves his source port is real

 

like i said above i belive he was at one point working on a source port but he is eitherr lying about many of its features or just blowing them way out of porpotion kinda like how cdpr did in the marketing of cyberpunk

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×