• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

The Doomguy Test

The Doomguy Test - Volume Alpha  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a doomguy?

1. Have you ever felt discomfort because of that corpse of cacodemon, hanging on the edge by one pixel?

Yes. Asymmetrical and ugly.

2. Have you ever tried to play slaughtermaps with thousands of monsters, with ludicrously overpowered weapon pack, such as supergun.wad?

Yes. I have 'completed' several slaughtermaps like untitled2 and Italo-Doom using Russian Overkill. It's rather relaxing.

3. Have you ever managed to knock down this zombieman squad in MAP03, with a single super shotgun blast?

Yes. More accidentally than not, but yes.

4. Have you ever tried to run a PWAD with the wrong IWAD?

Yes. Far too many times.

5. Have you ever justified yourself, when you lost a deathmatch on ZDaemon, because your opponent had a better ping than yours?

No, because the only way to win is to not play. But seriously though, I'm relatively new to deathmatch, so I'm still learning the ropes.

6. Do you feel angry when that damn imp, right in front of your face, didn't die from a full-hit of shotgun blast?

Yes. Especially when I'm low on health and that nuisance scratches me to death.

7. Have you ever started your own ambitious megawad project, but ended up with only just a few levels that didn't even manage to see the light?

No. Although I've started work on my first map-set, so due to a potential future creative drought, I'll say maybe...

8. Have you ever wondered why the hell did the id software create pain elementals?

No. I'm rather fond of them because they can either create panic for the monsters or panic for the player. Effective placement and usage matter a lot.

9. Have you ever did something stupid intentionally, just to earn your own custom title?

No. I don't have one. Although thanks for the idea... heh...

10. Do you feel disappointed, when your favorite wad of the year isn't even listed on the runner-up of Cacoward?

No. I understand that the Cacowards are meant to be a slice of the quality and variety that Doom wads and mods have to offer. Ultimately, they are purely for recognition. So if a popular wad (or a wad I loved) didn't receive one, it doesn't really matter all that much to me, for those wads have already been recognized. (This is also why I don't agree with a People's Choice Award)

11. Do you hesitate for a moment when you find a medikit, while you have around 80% health?

Yes. Although it is particularly aggravating when I die later on, after 'planning' to return after losing a 'little' health.

12. Do you feel annoyed by a monster, which isn't firing its weapon for decades, while you want to provoke monster infighting?

Yes. Especially when that monster decides to fire after you give up on it and turn around.

13. Do you try to punch the air, since you think that punching in front of monsters makes them more aggressive?

Yes. Makes me feel like I'm doing something.

14. Have you ever tried to shoot an arch-vile, which was targeting a different monster, and you took the damage instead?

TOO. MANY. TIMES. So, yes.

15. Have you ever wondered what would happen to your life, if you didn't know anything about Doom?

No. Although this question is suggesting that. Hmm...

16. Do you feel relieved, when you picked the option that the majority has selected on the poll in Doomworld?

No. I usually pick what I agree with.

17. Have you ever abused "Curve Linedefs" or "Stair Sector Build Mode" on Doom Builder, just to increase the amount of linedefs of your level for some reason?

Yes. More linedefs are better, right?

18. Do you think that Doom is the best first person shooter ever made, or even the best video game ever made?

Best FPS - Yes. It's the only FPS I've really enjoyed. That's ignoring the maps, mods, and multiplayer component.

Best Game - No. But it's pretty close though. I found myself critically enjoying Dark Souls, Devil May Cry 3, and Shadow of the Colossus more so than Doom.

So I'm Doomguy, I guess... picks AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edited by SGS Man

1. Have you ever felt discomfort because of that corpse of cacodemon, hanging on the edge by one pixel?

Yes.

2. Have you ever tried to play slaughtermaps with thousands of monsters, with ludicrously overpowered weapon pack, such as supergun.wad?

Yes, with Chillax on ZDaemon. It's fun having over a million points in the damage score.

3. Have you ever managed to knock down this zombieman squad in MAP03, with a single super shotgun blast?

Yes.

I don't remember but I believe I have done this before.

5. Have you ever justified yourself, when you lost a deathmatch on ZDaemon, because your opponent had a better ping than yours?

No, I don't play deathmatch or duel.

6. Do you feel angry when that damn imp, right in front of your face, didn't die from a full-hit of shotgun blast?

Yes, sometimes.

7. Have you ever started your own ambitious megawad project, but ended up with only just a few levels that didn't even manage to see the light?

Yes. Not with a megawad, but with a 7 or 12 maps PWAD.

8. Have you ever wondered why the hell did the id software create pain elementals?

No.

9. Have you ever did something stupid intentionally, just to earn your own custom title?

No.

10. Do you feel disappointed, when your favorite wad of the year isn't even listed on the runner-up of Cacoward?

No.

11. Do you hesitate for a moment when you find a medikit, while you have around 80% health?

Yes, sometimes. I like to optimize the use of medikits, packs of ammo, armors, etc...

12. Do you feel annoyed by a monster, which isn't firing its weapon for decades, while you want to provoke monster infighting?

Yes.

13. Do you try to punch the air, since you think that punching in front of monsters makes them more aggressive?

No, but I think punching the air helps keeping the monsters awake after they've done infighting, especially in slaughtermaps (I don't know if it's true).

14. Have you ever tried to shoot an arch-vile, which was targeting a different monster, and you took the damage instead?

No. I quickly guess the arch-vile behavior in my early days of TNS, that when a arch-vile is preparing his attack, he will focus on the last player who hurt him until he launches his attack. In solo, I believe the arch-vile will have a higher priority on the player, even in infighting, if the player hurt him. With that in mind, I never try this.

15. Have you ever wondered what would happen to your life, if you didn't know anything about Doom?

No.

16. Do you feel relieved, when you picked the option that the majority has selected on the poll in Doomworld?

No.

17. Have you ever abused "Curve Linedefs" or "Stair Sector Build Mode" on Doom Builder, just to increase the amount of linedefs of your level for some reason?

No.

18. Do you think that Doom is the best first person shooter ever made, or even the best video game ever made?

Yes and no. The best shooter ever made yes, but not the best video game ever.

A few yes, but I'm a doomguy.

>Do you ever feel mind searing agony at all times because that beautiful assault rifle the zombiemen tote will never be yours, and every single modded incarnation either steals another weapons slot or feels fundamentally off in the hierarchy of vanilla weapons?

Very much yes on 11-14, a bit less on 13 but I have punched air while waiting for infights.  Even though I know better, I'm often too twitchy with the trigger finger on a distracted archvile.

2 is something that I think I'll do but never get around to it.  only way I'd play some of the slaughtermaps out there though.

6. Not really because a 1 in 8 chance is something that happens often enough.  Getting blockmapped can be disappointing at times though.

verdict: not a doomguy

On 03.01.2018 at 0:17 PM, antares031 said:

Fai3UJh.gif

7nYKUBP.gif

I expected the next gif being about a rocket flying perfectly between barons and blasting you in the face.

Spoiler

1, 2, 3 and 4. Yes.

5. No

6. Yes

7. No

8. Yes

9. No

10 - 16. Yes

17. No

18. Yes it is a fantastic FPS, but I would not call it the best game of all time, but definitely in the top 50.

13 "Yes" responses. I r an doomguai nao

Long ramblings inbound!

1. No, I actually find it amusing for some reason. Which is odd, given that I am pretty obsessive when it comes to things being perfect.
  2. No, never played a slaughtermap unless you count Go 2 it, I don't really.
  3. Probably, I don't remember for certain but I'll say yes to that.
  4. No, I honestly haven't been running PWADs for very long and by the time I started I already knew enough about how the game worked to understand the differences.
  5. No, never played online multiplayer in Doom and have only played split-screen multiplayer maybe once or twice with my brother.
  6. Yes, god dammit that pisses me off. When I was still a kid I would use the super-shotgun exclusively because of this problem. At that time I honestly thought that it was impossible to take out an imp with one shotgun blast.
  7. Yes. It was called The Invasion of Hell (original originality!) and I started working on it when I was a beginning mapper who didn't even know how to properly set up teleporters yet! As my mapping skills improved and my initial ambition died down I realized that all the maps I made for it were complete shit and I abandoned the project.
  8. No. I personally enjoy the pain elementals so much that when I was still working on The Invasion of Hell I literally designed three maps that contained nothing but pain elementals and lost souls. They were probably the worst maps that I made for the project as you can probably imagine how much fun it was to fight up to five pain elemetals at a time in a massive warehouse that was cramped with stacks of crates on the floor with large open spacious ceilings.
  9. No. As tempting as it is for me to do something ridiculous and hope for a coveted custom title I think my custom title should be whatever the admins decide it should be.
  10. Yes, but I don't even remember what that .wad was and haven't played very many pwads anyway.
  11. Yes. It's part of the strategy. Doom is a great game when it comes to strategic decision making on-the-fly.
  12. Yes. I don't want to attack those other monsters first! I'll ruin my chances of them infighting and won't be able to conserve ammo!
  13. No. Despite the fact that a silent punch may as well be just as loud as a nuclear explosion in Doom I am fully aware that monsters only have two modes of aggression: asleep and attacking. Punching the air won't make them attack any more or any less unless you were actually punching them, but now you aren't punching the air anymore.
  14. Yes. Everyone who has played a map featuring an Arch-Vile has done this at some point. You may be able to avoid it once you know the attack patterns but before you fully understand the best tactics for an Arch-Vile this will happen at some point.
  15. Yes. I wouldn't be a gamer, I wouldn't be nearly as much as an artist as I am, I would hate games with older graphics probably, I would have been more likely to have gotten involved with the things I know to avoid, so basically I would be much worse off than I am now.
  16. Yes. I like to think that the people here on Doomworld are like-minded in a sense* and hope that the masses here will agree on at least the most simple of problems. The more complex the problem the less I expect people to agree with me.
  17. No. I never want there to be completely unnecessary lindefs in my maps. I will add only what I think I need. I've only used the curve lindef tool maybe a total of five times anyway.
  18. Yes. Doom is my favourite game of all time and I consider it to be the most significant game ever produced. The effects that this single game has had on the industry, culture, politics, etc. are so immense that Doom is really in a league of its own when it comes to a game's impact. No game before or after has been able to emulate the absolute leap Doom provided.

Final Score: 10/18 = 55%

*'like-minded' as in that we all like the same game enough to contribute to a forum dedicated to it, not in that we all agree all the time because that would be an idiotic thing to say about the people of Doomworld, or any organized/unorganized group of people for that matter.

Yes.

Yes. Any slaughtermap with Russian Overkill and the ketchup gore mod + monster respawning is oddly relaxing (and CPU intensive).

Yes and I feel disappointed when I don't get it.

Yes, every time with Doom 1 wads.

5. Have you ever justified yourself, when you lost a deathmatch on ZDaemon, because your opponent had a better ping than yours?

I never play multiplayer, so no.

Yes and I always give him a good punch in the face when it happens.

Not really. I have many unfinished maps, but they're not made for a megawad.

Yes.

No, this is my first post here.

Hasn't happened to me yet.

No, I think about it when at 90%, but I just go for it when I have 80%.

Yes.

No.

Yes, I hate it when that happens.

Yes, I probably wouldn't be playing video games today if I never knew about Doom.

No, I don't care if I'm in the majority or not.

No, I don't really see the point in that.

Yes, there's no better video game than Doom.

10/18

No, I like it.
I used to, but it's not fun.
Yes.
Yes.
Oh god no.
Yeah.
I kinda did in middle school, although it was more a five level episode to utilize ZDoom features I didn't know how to use.
No.
Why would I do that?
Heh, yes.
More like 90%.
Oh god yes.
Nope.
All the bloody time.
Not really.
No.
What's that?
Let's just say that I consider fps to be one of my least favorite genres.