Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
randy

UAC Labs (lab.wad) My first wad!

First thing, there's no comp-level listed here for the wad. Was it made in Boom format, Hexen format, etc..... It's good to know what ports can and can't run this level. 

Anyway, it's a really charming "first-wad" level. It's got some funny bits to it, has a goofy midi, and plays pretty decently. It's very simple however, which is fine. I think for a first level it's actually a lot better than most people's stuff.

I'd just recommend to keep playing people's custom levels and Cacoward winners, keep experimenting with your design and learning from the greats, and don't get stuck in development hell where you keep scrapping projects over and over. If something looks bad, just keep making it. It'll probably be fine. 

Anyway, sorry to get all inspirational. Good stuff, fellow Lost-Soul icon bearing friend!

1 hour ago, Obsidian said:

Unfortunate wad name, ho!

Context.

eh, I think it's been long enough to where people have forgotten about that tidbit. Still pretty funny though.

12 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

First thing, there's no comp-level listed here for the wad. Was it made in Boom format, Hexen format, etc..... It's good to know what ports can and can't run this level. 

Anyway, it's a really charming "first-wad" level. It's got some funny bits to it, has a goofy midi, and plays pretty decently. It's very simple however, which is fine. I think for a first level it's actually a lot better than most people's stuff.

I'd just recommend to keep playing people's custom levels and Cacoward winners, keep experimenting with your design and learning from the greats, and don't get stuck in development hell where you keep scrapping projects over and over. If something looks bad, just keep making it. It'll probably be fine. 

Anyway, sorry to get all inspirational. Good stuff, fellow Lost-Soul icon bearing friend!

eh, I think it's been long enough to where people have forgotten about that tidbit. Still pretty funny though.

It was edited in Doom in Hexen format, and was tested in GZDoom and ZDoom.

It's pretty okay for a first map, but it's way too simple. The use of textures isn't really ugly, but lacks in detail. The secrets are weird, usually placed behind a random wall, and contain really powerful weapons, but once you get them, you can just steamroll through the entire map in no time. Once I picked up the rocket launcher found in a secret, I just used it to kill every enemy and never ran out of ammo. Speaking of combat, it's really easy and there is never a challenging moment, you just kill everything before it can damage you at all.

But about things you did right:

It's really good that your first map is short, at the beggining of your mapping career you should focus more on short projects, instead of the long ones, which aren't going to be worth your time until you get good at mapping. The midi you used was also good. Default music in custom levels always turns me off.

So yeah, play through some fanmade levels, gather some fresh ideas and try to make your maps more complex, that's my advice for now ;)

Just now, Lorenz0 said:

It's pretty okay for a first map, but it's way too simple. The use of textures isn't really ugly, but lacks in detail. The secrets are weird, usually placed behind a random wall, and contain really powerful weapons, but once you get them, you can just steamroll through the entire map in no time. Once I picked up the rocket launcher found in a secret, I just used it to kill every enemy and never ran out of ammo. Speaking of combat, it's really easy and there is never a challenging moment, you just kill everything before it can damage you at all.

But about things you did right:

It's really good that your first map is short, at the beggining of your mapping career you should focus more on short projects, instead of the long ones, which aren't going to be worth your time until you get good at mapping. The midi you used was also good. Default music in custom levels always turns me off.

So yeah, play through some fanmade levels, gather some fresh ideas and try to make your maps more complex, that's my advice for now ;)

Thanks!

Neat little beginner map, its playable and doesn't look all that bad either. Gameplay is really easy, altough I managed to get killed by a Cacodemon, I blame the beer I had :p If this is really your very first Doom map you have nothing to be ashamed off. Personally I would have gone for just plain Doom(2) format when building your first maps, as its the time you gather experience and Zdoom Hexen format might overcomplicate things a bit. Like others mentioned study other maps and see how things are done. First and foremost enjoy making maps, enjoying working on something is a good ingriedient for making something people probably will enjoy. And stick to your own style, always nice to see a new mapper coming up with refreshing ideas, but of course its good to take inspiration from other work whatever it may be.