Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Favorite RPG/JRPG?

RPGs: Morrowind, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

JRPGs: Final Fantasy VII, .hack 1-4

Tons and TONS of jRPGs I have played. My avatar comes from my current favorite, Soul Nomad & the World Eaters.

The Witcher series, Age of Pirates II, Dragon Age: Origins, Diablo 2, Morrowind, Fallout: New Vegas, Mass Effect 2, KotOR II, Jade Empire, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku II, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, all Golden Sun games.

Edited by Avoozl

RPGs, in order (most to least favourite, although I love them all):

1) Deus Ex (nuff said)

2) TES: Daggerfall (its huge and has the perfect mood for its setting) 

3) Diablo 1/2 (1 has great atmosphere, 2 has excellent gameplay, both are awesome IMO and I haven't decided which I like the most) 

4) Vampire Bloodlines (recently played it as a Tremere and it deserves its place here - it should even be higher, but there is competition)

Confession: I don't like JRPGs and in fact I might not have finished a single one of those.

Western RPGs: Mass Effect and The Witcher series. Coincidentally, the only ones I've played.

JRPG: Dark Souls series. Coincidentally, the only ones I've played. :P

1.Deus Ex (My all-time favorite game)

2.Fallout:New Vegas (The best First Person Fallout and the one to give you the most choice)

3.Vampire:Bloodlines (Possibly the best vampire game ever made)

4.Morrowind (Easily the best and most creative Elder Scrolls game)

5.Star Wars:KOTOR (My vote for best Star Wars game of all time)

53 minutes ago, vinnie245 said:

Deus Ex

Welp, I feel pretty silly for not including this. I only started playing it in 2012 but I immediately fell in love. It's definitely one of my fav RPG's and the story still carries quite a bit of weight even today.

The one about a psychotic clown who wanted to destroy the universe.

6 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

Dunno what OG means, but yeah, Diablo.

Original gangster. 

In this context it just means "the original" with the implication of noteworthiness or veneration. Diablo 1 essentially created a genre and by some standards (including mine, the only standard that matters) is the best of the Diablo series, and therefore is both noteworthy and venerable. Hence OG.

RPGs - Deus Ex, Fallout: New Vegas, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Star Wars: KOTOR II

JRPGs - Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia

I don't think it's accurate to classify Dark Souls as a JRPG much in the same way that I don't think it's accurate to classify Undertale as a Western RPG. 

pen and paper:  Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and Cyberpunk 2020

crpg:  Arx Fatalis, Fallout series (all of it), the Black Isle era of D & D games, Wizardry 5 & 8, and the Eye of the Beholder series

jrpg:  Final Fantasy III, .hack, and this tactical rpg game (Vagrant, Vandal...can't remember but it wasn't Ogre Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics)

Pen & Paper: OGL brands of D&D, Marvel Heroic (we just played the 150th session of our campaign), more than happy to play lots of others

CRPG: I hugely enjoyed Mass Effect 1 and 2, and the character beats in ME3 (let's not talk about the ending).  Enjoyed many parts of the first two Dragon Age games (yet to play 3, though I have bought it - it's probably the next CRPG I'll play).  I enjoy modern Bethesda games in general despite their warts: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallouts 3 and 4.  New Vegas was excellent as well, of course.  Obsidian do good work.  Played through Pillars of Eternity recently which was fairly good fun.  I'll get Tyranny once it becomes cheap enough.  I've played and enjoyed a lot of other CRPGs too.  When it comes to CRPGs I'm generally motivated by characters first, story second, and gameplay a distant third.  (The often thin characters is my only real complaint about Bethesda stuff)

JRPG: never played one

I don't really enjoy JRPGs (IMO these Final Fantasy games and such are super damn boring), but I'm really a fan of Dark Souls (<3), Skyrim (duh), Borderlands II and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Baldur's Gate II is still my sentimental favorite, even though it's horrendously flawed in innumerable ways. The quests do a really good job of teaching you the 2E D&D mechanics without overt tutorials (unlike BG1 which gave you a perfunctory 10-minute tutorial and threw your naked level 1 ass to the literal wolves), and beneath the goofy tie-in fiction writing were some interesting and forward-looking themes for the era, especially with Throne of Bhaal exploring the Bhaalspawn prophecy and how fucking horrifying an epic-level character in an RPG campaign is to everyone around them. Throne of Bhaal deconstructed the RPG protagonist 15 years before Undertale. Then there was the loot, which was perhaps the best of any RPG ever. The D&D weapon proficiency system allowed them to have a huge number of unique enchanted items to suit all sorts of different builds and playstyles and nearly every one of them will be the most useful at some point to some character. They were all hand-placed and many were hidden (my favorite was a sword in the back room of an obscure inn in Athkatla that could absolutely slaughter liches...but you had to fight a lich to get it. Or, if you're a rogue with potion/magical support, sneak in, steal the sword, and get out unmolested) and there were ways to get some early if you went out of your way.

Pillars of Eternity is a pretty good spiritual successor, but it retains Planescape Torment's love for obtuse, boring, pointless mythology with no application to any real life society or situation. Pillars of Eternity will go on and on and on about St. Waidwen's religious crusade without ever discussing what it meant and why people believed in it. They also flattened out all the peaks and troughs and terrifying enemies and interesting items from the D&D battle system in the name of balance so combat becomes a grind of using the same opening gambit over and over and over and over.

Fallout New Vegas, on the other hand, is Obsidian absolutely nailing it. They've got the Fallout license, which means their philosophical bent has some real issues relevant to our world to chew on. Then you have the world design, which feels like an actual place people live in, creating safe routes for travel, growing food, conducting business, making things. It takes everything that was good about Morrowind and makes it better. And then you get the way all the side quests and allegiances tie into the massive nonlinear quest web in the second half of the game and the excellent DLC (my favorite is Old World Blues) and you have probably the greatest RPG ever made.

Skyrim is fun to mod and fuck around in. Nothing makes any sense, nothing is expected to make any sense, let's shout people off a cliff and watch cows levitate in the air and gawp at how amazing the best ENB presets look these days.

rpgs: ultimas 4, 5 and underworld; daggerfall & morrowind; wasteland one; captive; dungeon master; planescape torment; buncha old atari and pc games like sundog which I admire

jrpgs: smt 3 & strange journey; ff7 & 10; breath of fire 3; suikoden 2

the real time with pause PC classic rpgs piss me off, SO full of insane design decisions from constant saving to the mistimed dialogue to the AI and pathfinding and loot and and and and goddamnit I hate baldur's gate 2. dungeon crawlers are superior in my eyes :))

Dragon Quest 3! Why can't they remake that game like the Final Fantasies?

I took a stab at replaying the new Final Fantasy 3 remake twice. I failed to realize taking away the art style makes the story feel placeholder. Going from one big thing to another. Typical old school.

3 hours ago, geo said:

Dragon Quest 3! Why can't they remake that game like the Final Fantasies?

I took a stab at replaying the new Final Fantasy 3 remake twice. I failed to realize taking away the art style makes the story feel placeholder. Going from one big thing to another. Typical old school.

Dragon Quest 3 was remade for the Super Famicom. The Gameboy Colour version of Dragon Quest 3 is based on it, and adds an additional dungeon. I played through the GBC version because of its extra dungeon, but the requirements for getting there are monstrously unreasonable, and it's mostly just so you can fight an enemy that has the exact same attacks as Xenlon, only at a higher level. 

Edited by Ajora