Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Favorite RPG/JRPG?

4 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Dragon Quest 3 was remade for the Super Famicom. The Gameboy Colour version of it was based on it, and added monster medals and an additional dungeon. 

True. I have the GBC version. I was meaning updated for modern systems as Final Fantasies have been. Square seems to get preferential treatment in that company.

@geo

Did you ever play through the ice dungeon? If you did then you're either:

a) Someone who had access to trading monster medals with another person.

b) A hacker.

c) Insane.

16 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

I'm not much for RPGs, but I did enjoy Skyrim.

As for JRPGs, definitely Phantasy Star 4.

I'm split between Phantasy Star 4 and Lufia and The Fortress of Doom. Also, I'm glad someone else likes PS4

12 hours ago, joepallai said:

jrpg:  Final Fantasy III, .hack, and this tactical rpg game (Vagrant, Vandal...can't remember but it wasn't Ogre Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics)

Vandal Hearts?

About JRPG... DQ3 on SFC always my favorite(I prefer bigger screens, and there is a nice walkthrough in GameFAQ site, even I can read some Japanese and Kanji words. :P), the other is Valkyrie Profile (the first game, since my latest console ever played is PS1, sadly.)

1 hour ago, geo said:

True. I have the GBC version. I was meaning updated for modern systems as Final Fantasies have been. Square seems to get preferential treatment in that company.

That's funny now Square Enix still not considering about remake of old DQ titles, maybe FF can more money... seriously, how many remakes/spin-offs/lazy ports happens on FF series now? :P

I only interest in FF series is FF3 but I still not try it yet(tried original but I suck at games with hiragana only) and I hate the PC version of FF3 port on Steam is not available on my region, f*** whoever decided that.

I have to wonder if all the people here claiming to love Final Fantasy 3 are actually referring to Final Fantasy 6. I've never played Final Fantasy 3, but I know it's not regarded as one of the better Final Fantasies. 

28 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I have to wonder if all the people here claiming to love Final Fantasy 3 are actually referring to Final Fantasy 6. I've never played Final Fantasy 3, but I know it's not regarded as one of the better Final Fantasies. 

I live in Asia, so when I say FF3, then never means FF6 for sure. :P

Yeah, the original FF3(Famicom version) just boring in some degree(leveling grinds and something), but many JRPGs in that time tend like that, and maybe that's why 2, 3 and 5 were not released to NA.

Final Fantasy 5 is pretty amazing, in my opinion. The story and characters all suck, but the battle system and dungeons are so good that I don't really care. 

I dunno Lufia 1,2,TLR,Chrono trigger and Cross,Hexen ;),FF10,Pokemon emerald,Digimon World 1 and it's PSP remake,Shin megami tensei Lucifer's call and some other ones i probably forgot.I dislike most rpg games but those are the ones i actually liked.

Edit:OH GOD HOW COULD I FORGET DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS 2 <3

Oh man get ready for this list.

1.) Deus Ex 

2.) Morrowind 

3.) Fallout 2

4.) Fallout New Vegas

5.) Baldur's Gate

6.) Planescape Torment

7.) Ultima VII The Black Gate

8.) Diablo 2

9.) Daggerfall

10.) System Shock 2

11.) Gothic

12.) Final Fantasy VII

13.) The Witcher 3

1 hour ago, Player Lin said:

About JRPG... DQ3 on SFC always my favorite(I prefer bigger screens, and there is a nice walkthrough in GameFAQ site, even I can read some Japanese and Kanji words. :P), the other is Valkyrie Profile (the first game, since my latest console ever played is PS1, sadly.)

That's funny now Square Enix still not considering about remake of old DQ titles, maybe FF can more money... seriously, how many remakes/spin-offs/lazy ports happens on FF series now? :P

I only interest in FF series is FF3 but I still not try it yet(tried original but I suck at games with hiragana only) and I hate the PC version of FF3 port on Steam is not available on my region, f*** whoever decided that.

What's extra weird is the guy who owns Enix (majority shareholder) bought Square... then merged the 2 companies rather than keep Enix alone solely as the name. After all that said, its still the Square games that get remade and remastered in this modern era instead of Dragon Quests from Enix. Square was in a position to allow themselves to be bought out and merged while Enix just made money. The owner goes around buying video game companies... because he can. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

Dark Souls III is the one i played the most by far, as for JRPG i'll go with NieR: Automata (Though Dark Souls is japanese, it does not look like it). Havent played many other RPGs since i'm not a big fan of the genre.

Parasite Eve which is not totally a RPG like Final Fantasy or any other classic japanese RPG.

5 hours ago, Ajora said:

Final Fantasy 5 is pretty amazing, in my opinion. The story and characters all suck, 

No they don't.

5 hours ago, Player Lin said:

Don't tell me you think the GBA versions are bad...

I don't remember playing any Western RPG, but I'm a big sucker for SNES-PS1 era of JRPGs. FF6 has to be one of my favorites of all time.

RPGs: Deus Ex of course.  I have Star Wars: KOTOR and the Mass Effect trilogy in my Steam pile of shame.  

JRPGs: Star Ocean 2, Shining Force 2, anything Phantasy Star, FF3/6.  I want to try Ni no Kuni when I get the chance.

RPGs: Skyrim, WoW, Dragon Age Inquisition and Path of Exile were my favorites I've played in more recent years.

JRPGs: Pokemon Emerald is probably the closest to a JRPG that I've actually played. I haven't played enough of them, but I have so many in my backlog and I have no idea where to start. 

3 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

No they don't.

Besides Gilgamesh. Everything else is an assemblage of stock characters, cliches, predictability, and overall banality. 

Admittingly the best thing about FF5 was the job system, enhanced further from FF3 and heck, I leveled up every single job to master. The plot and characters were rather bad though.

As far as battle systems go, many are turn-based, active-time (FF4 and up), or something altogether. One of the reasons I love Valkyrie Profile and Chrono Cross so much was how unique their battle systems were, even though both were turn-based in some way, they were certifiably certifiably different than the cream of the crop. Also Thousand Arms and the Grandia games had a very interesting blend of active-time and turn-based.

Action RPGs - well they tend to be good, at least in either plot or gameplay. Terranigma and Vagrant Story are definitely up there with good parts of both.

The Doom RPG, of course. *cue applause, laugh track, celebratory gunfire*

7 hours ago, Ajora said:

Besides Gilgamesh. Everything else is an assemblage of stock characters, cliches, predictability, and overall banality. 

It's your opinion.

20 hours ago, Roofi said:

Parasite Eve which is not totally a RPG like Final Fantasy or any other classic japanese RPG.

Yeah, it's different, but sadly I didn't liked its battle system. I love the sequel but that was old-style of Biohazard/Resident Evil with Parasite Eve theme, not really a RPG anymore.

16 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Don't tell me you think the GBA versions are bad...

I haven't played FF3 GBA so cannot say everything. But, just like the reason I like DQ3 SFC, I prefer bigger screens...I just don't have interest with them, both FF3 GBA and DQ3 GBC sadly. :P

The Elder Scrolls franchise for me, but then I haven't really played a whole lot of RPGs honestly. Except Skyrim, I played that one to death. Wish I'd come back to them, but I don't have the time to play them the way I want anymore.

I play more jRPG section then I do of regular (but have both none the same).

A series that I love is the Disgaea series. While playing similar to FF Tactics, it makes it's own with it's gameplay and (further and bettering of mechanics) funny stories. The characters follow cliche/trope types  but to varying degrees, "always have that one seductress type female party member" or "Deep dark story" 
"Ditzzy clumsy female" and make fun of the tropes (and other games/media) all the same.
Most of the games have a "super boss" who is nearly the same except in 3 of the games where 1 he's nearly impossible, or have to play really smart.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:56 PM, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

It's your opinion.

Congratulations. You've found the point of the thread!