Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Favorite RPG/JRPG?

5 hours ago, CARRiON said:

Congratulations. You've found the point of the thread!

What was that for? I know that threads are about opinions.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, Zulk RS said:

I'm split between Phantasy Star 4 and Lufia and The Fortress of Doom. Also, I'm glad someone else likes PS4

Vandal Hearts?

That's the one!  

Also Ajora might be right about Final Fantasy III with me--they all blended together after awhile.   

AD&D 1st Edition

The 1st edition is interesting in that it's obviously written by enthusiasts who wanted to share their experence in running actual games. Despite it's layout style of 'just shove everything in there in a vaguely logical order' it still remains quicker for me to look things up than the later editions, where I often ended up reading through half a page of blather just to be then redirected to another page reference in an entirely different book.

Paranoia

If you got really good at Paranoia you could survive for a whole 5 minutes before getting hilariously murdered by your fellow party members. You couldn't really play a campaign, but it was great for one off games.

Call of Cthulu

So to begin with, you've got this combat system that is pretty lethal all by itself. Then you have a catalogue of horrors more than capable of chewing through an entire party in a couple of rounds. And the punch line is that the player characters will lose their marbles just by witnessing said horrors.

Suffice to say, when you stick a bunch of players into this world, the results aren't HP Lovecraft's cosmic horror, so much as Evil Dead II set in the 1920s. Almost as darkly funny as Paranoia.

Vampire: The Dark Ages

I only ever played this particular game from the White Wolf stable, but I was always impressed by how well designed the rule mechanisms and setting were. Everything just worked really well.

Beyond D&D and the Fighting Fantasy books that brought me to that (now defunct) hobby, here are some highlights:

- Phantasie III (Amiga). Almost bought Ultima IV once but opted for some other arcadey game at the time. This became my stand-in for that style of RPG. Really dug the wound/regeneration-system.

- Dungeon Master (Amiga). First (and last) game to make me actually shriek out in horror, as a giant scorpion suddenly cornered my heavily wounded party in a dead-end corridor.

- Black Crypt. Raven Software's first - A Dungeon Master clone pretty much, and a lot of precursorism to Heretic and beyond here, a pretty much perfect game which instantly made them one of my favorite developers, years before I'd heard of id.

- Faerytale Adventure (Amiga). O'boy. Started mapping this thing until I realised it had like 30,000 screens. By then, the taped-together map was like bigger than the floor in 'my' living room.

- X-Com. Original and reboot both (not a huge gan of X-Com2 though). Plenty of role-play here for my tastes, since you really develop a relationship with your heroes, though the "story" is more just a "setting" (hey, kinda like Doom in that way).

- Diablo. Never got in on the multiplayer craze, but I stayed a while, and listened.

- Final Fantasy IIV. Yeah, I got in on the hype and loved it. Tried (even finished) some of the later entries but none fully recaptured the magic and simplicity of 7.

- Ultima Online. My fave MMO, even though Everquest and Anarchy Online also were fun for a while. By the time WoW came along, I had shook that bug.

- Fallout 3. Had seen 1 and dabbled with 2, but couldn't really get by the story chronology inconsistencies and dropped it. What a decrapid piece of sh!t this post apocolypse is, and I kinda love it for it. Last "traditional" RPG  I really got into, had high expectations for 4, but it didn't take.

- Dipped my toe in Oblivion, Witchers and Dragon Age but none really clung to me.

- Cathrine. Puzzler with RPG elements I suppose. Looking forward to the sequel.

EDIT: OMG, forgot to mention my super-favorite the last couple of years - DARKEST DUNGEON! I've never gotten to the last level of a game before and just chosen not to even try it because I knew some of my favorite heroes would (perma-) die.

Edited by Soundblock

On 1/8/2018 at 5:03 PM, Soundblock said:

but I stayed a while, and listened.

Here is a like, just for that!

I've only played a handful of RPGs, but the only ones that didn't manage to bore or tire me are System Shock 2 and Summoner (I'd include Undertale but I'm not sure if I can call that a "normal" RPG).

Is still need to play Morrowind and the newer TES games, as well as The Witcher series and some others. Hopefully I'll have fun with at least some of them.

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Coopersville said:

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

=)

cRPGS: Fallout 2, Jade Empire, KOTOR 2, Skyrim, Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Pillars of Eternity.

JRPGS: Lost Odyssey, Chrono Trigger, FF VI.

PnP: Mouseguard, Chronicles of Darkness (fight me!), Call of Cthulu.

Haven't played a huge amount, but probably Legend (PC) for western and Tales of Phantasia (SNES) for Japanese. (the former had some really tough puzzles and an awesome spell creation system, the latter had story/characters/music that all combined together, along with that weird active combat system)

- Baldur's Gate 1, 2 and Throne of Bhaal

- Dark Souls 1
- Deus Ex
- Fallout 1
- Fallout New Vegas
- Planescape Torment

I do play other RPGs, but these above are my favorite ones.

I don't play a lot of RPGs but Diablo 2 is a game I keep coming back to.

I just love the rush of Looting dungeons. There is always something new to pickup every playthrough.

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Coopersville said:

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

^^

Loved Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. An oldie but goodie (and the game that got me into RPGs/JRPGs) is Shining Force, on the Sega.

Edit: Final Fantasy 8, also; I'm in that tiny minority that didn't like FF7 but loved/loves FF8.

1 minute ago, Chewyninja69 said:

Loved Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. An oldie but goodie (and the game that got me into RPGs/JRPGs) is Shining Force, on the Sega.

I hear the GBA remake for Shining Force is supposed to be really good.

1 minute ago, Ajora said:

I don't have a GBA unfortunately. Guess I can check it out on Youtube, though.

On 2018/1/25 at 1:44 PM, Ajora said:

Well, it actually a mix-bag for SF fans...some love it, and some still like the original MegaDrive/Genesis version.

I like some of it, it's not bad game but, you know...like Zelda 2 on FC/NES...some people love it, and some people hate it.

(Yes, I know it may bad example since the GBA SF still not changed core gameplay like Zelda 2 but...whatever, I just don't have idea about good example...)

Too bad the devs of Shining Force(Camelot) already sided with Nintendo after around 1999-2000, with some rumors about bad relationships with SEGA. *citation needed*

Edited by Player Lin : Added some shit.

1 hour ago, Player Lin said:

Well, it actually a mix-bag for SF fans...some love it, and some still like the original MegaDrive/Genesis version.

I like some of it, it's not bad game but, you know...like Zelda 2 on FC/NES...some people love it, and some people hate it.

(Yes, I know it may bad example since the GBA SF still not changed core gameplay like Zelda 2 but...whatever, I just don't have idea about good example...)

Too bad the devs of Shining Force(Camelot) already sided with Nintendo after around 1999-2000, with some rumors about bad relationships with SEGA. *citation needed*

Yeah, I was checking it on Youtube and some of it I liked, the artwork especially... but the music killed it for me. The Genesis' music is much better, imo.

Rpgs are one of my favourite genres of games, alongside 2d platformers.

Some of the ones I like the most are final fantasy 6, chrono trigger, persona 3 to 5, golden sun, pokemon deserves a mention for being the first one I played and I guess the disgaea games are also nice.

Western rpgs on the other hand are all worthless garbage. This is easily the lowest genre of videogames, below even sports sims or motion control shovelware.

8 minutes ago, Forli said:

Western rpgs on the other hand are all worthless garbage. This is easily the lowest genre of videogames, below even sports sims or motion control shovelware.

So the Mass Effect series, Skyrim (the Elder scrolls series in general), the Fallout series, The Witcher series (actually, I'll give you this one; I thought it was/is highly overrated)...these are all "garbage"? Wow.... news to me.

@Chewyninja69

Well I've only played 3: Skyrim, fallout 3 and mass effect 1.

Mass effect is more or less an average game, but it's not an rpg, it's a shooter with very minimal rpg elements.

The other 2 are both contenders for the worst videogame I've ever played. They're very similar actually, both are absurdly glitchy, have gameplay that consist mostly on walking while staring at the ground for things to click on and combat where you do nothing but click on an enemy over and over with no strategy or skill involved (and somehow manage to make even THAT feel clunky), the npcs are all at the very bottom of the uncanny valley in both appereance and behaviour and the story and characters.... I'm not sure I could qualify as existing.

And from what I've seen and heard this seems to be how all western rpgs are like.

And from what I've seen and heard this seems to be how all western rpgs are like.

I feel your claim applies mainly to Western ARPGs. Even so, games like Fallout: New Vegas, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Deus Ex, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II are excellent when it comes to story and characters (although gameplay-wise they may be questionable, based off your response to Skyrim and Fallout 3).

Western CRPGs are brilliant. Their focus is on role-playing anyone with any type of morality. They also might appeal to you based on your favorite  JRPGs. Examples include Baldur's Gate, Planetscape: Torment, Fallout I & II, and more recently Pillars of Eternity...

Also, Undertale and Lisa are Western and they're... interesting

49 minutes ago, Forli said:

This is a textbook example of Blind Generalization if I ever seen one.

Play Mass Effect 2 and the original Fallout, just to see how wrong this statement is. 

If you havent played Ultima, Mass Effect 2 and the Classic Fallout or even fucking Pillars of Eternity and Lisa, then you don't know what Western RPGS actually are.

Atleast in Ultima and Skyrim i can act and do however I want(you know, Role Play) instead of have the writer control my fate.

Edited by jazzmaster9

I have yet to play a single western RPG. I'm a hardcore classic JRPG person.

What's Mass Effect series about? Looks like a cross between TPS and action RPG.

1 hour ago, NuMetalManiak said:

I have yet to play a single western RPG. I'm a hardcore classic JRPG person.

What's Mass Effect series about? Looks like a cross between TPS and action RPG.

That's exactly right, more or less (I'm thinking of the original trilogy here, not the recent not-so-good open-world release). Compared to sprawling JRPGs, it's a much more focused and cinematic experience. All dramatic camera angles, motion capture performances and explosions. It's basically a space opera in the same vein as Star Wars, so if you enjoyed that, you'd enjoy Mass Effect.

The stats aren't crazy deep and the plots aren't crazy complex and the levels aren't crazy big, but the characters are brilliantly written, the acting is generally great, the animation is solid, and the music is excellent. And shooting stuff never gets old. There are enough big choices to really make the story feel yours (if you ignore the slightly dodgy ending) and it's no surprise that almost everyone who played it 10 years ago can still easily reel off the names of the species and characters you meet. They're just very, very well written.

Plus you get to punch reporters who ask too many questions.

I played those games to give the genre a try, I selected them specifically because they were the most popular and aclaimed ones and they were constantly praised as the better examples of what wrpgs are like.

And even if I have not played others I've seen videos and reviews of them, and they ALL really seem to be the exact same generic, uninspired boring piece of trash.

So there's morons constantly claiming that all jrpgs are trash without having played a single one and I'm supposed to shut up, the title of this very thread implies that jrpgs are not real rpgs and nobody even points it out, but when I talk shit about wrpgs after giving them a fair chance that's something that can't be tolerated?