Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battore

Where is Alexander Eternal?

Anyone knows here what's happened to Eternal,the russian mapper? He is in my opinion the best mapper ever and it's so bad that he is not making maps anymore. Is he taking a break or did he stop with mapping?

I'm not sure if there are people in the community who Eternal communicates with, but my impression is that he's gone off the map, and he may come back or he may not, but there are no known projects that he is working on. He returned in 2015/2016 to make Endpoint and that one Icarus mapset, so he may come back again -- you never know!

Well, it does seem like his creative output has slowed down over the years, but he made End Point in 2016, so it might be too soon to write him off completely!

I had a brief exchange with him on December 26, 2017. I wanted to let him know that I'd released Bad Religion, which uses his cyberdemon sprites from Baker's Dozen. He'd granted me permission to do so previously. I asked him if he was working on anything, to which he replied:

I'm doing something, but now there is not much time for mapping, as it was before.

I didn't know about Endpoint,going to play that right now. His Doom wikia page says that his last mapset was Epic 2 from 2010,probably no one updated it since then. Thanks for the replies

Noob Detected wasn't used in FDC. The other three were, but it's not like Eternal made them specifically for the contest. He just offered them when we didn't have anything else to play. I think his latest published level is Map03 from Russian Speedmapping Contest 17.

On 5. 1. 2018 at 2:39 AM, Battore said:

He is in my opinion the best mapper ever

4 hours ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

you are overrating this guy.

@NinjaLiquidator That's your opinion.

I don't agree that Eternal is the best mapper ever, I just didn't like how you came here just to dis what somebody else thinks and isn't the topic of this thread.

Having a favourite mapper does not mean holding the opinion that every other mapper is bad. I can't believe that even needs to be said.

On 1/8/2018 at 3:03 PM, NinjaLiquidator said:

He used to be top in 2k9-2k10 but he is past zenith, just compare Hell Ground and Icar2015...

Okay, why the fuck have you interjected with judging his maps into a thread that merely asked what he's been up to lately? No one was even touching the subject until you decided to tell us how it is.

And let's study your statement further: we're overrating him, huh? That's weird, because he got his last Cacoward in 2010 for Epic 2 and his last solo Honourable Mention was in 2012 for Frozen Time. One might think you're just rudely stating the undisputed and pretending you're breaking some new truths.

And last, but not least, you're missing the bigger picture. Yes, I do agree his newer releases tend to be surprisingly underwhelming. Then again, he's obviously experimenting with different directions while operating on a smaller time budget. Comparing hg and ic2015 is utterly nonsensical, because the former is an expansive epic (no pun intended), while the latter is a one-man dtwid-style homage project for Icarus. On that merit, he's doing a pretty good job, though I would have personal objections against the meaningfulness of such an endeavour, heh. Same with his TNT: Revilution submission; it makes perfect sense as a twiddish TNT map, but that just means I disliked it the same way I dislike the lesser maps of Evilution. With highly conceptual pieces and one-off speedmaps dominating the last 5 years of his output, you could say he's not even trying to match his past high profile pieces - and most of us respect this.

Whether Eternal is declining or not, I maintain that it was robbery that Endpoint didn't get a Cacoward (and Frozen Time too; WTF, how did that only get runner-up?!?!)

On 4/1/2018 at 10:20 PM, NaturalTvventy said:

I had a brief exchange with him on December 26, 2017. I wanted to let him know that I'd released Bad Religion, which uses his cyberdemon sprites from Baker's Dozen. He'd granted me permission to do so previously. I asked him if he was working on anything, to which he replied:

It's good to know he's doing well, thank you for the update!

2 hours ago, Cynical said:

I maintain that it was robbery that Endpoint didn't get a Cacoward

What did you find so special about it?