Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zeldamaster736

Doom 1 mouse issues

I recently purchased the classic complete doom pack on steam, and have started playing Doom 1. It worked fine for a while, but then suddenly started lagging whenever I move the mouse. The frame-rate drops to almost a standstill, and only by completely reinstalling the game can I get it to work. After closing and reopening the game, the issue reappears. This forces me to play with the directional keys and ctrl key, which is very frustrating.

Hm... are you playing the game through DOSBox? "and only by completely reinstalling the game can I get it to work" <- This part made me wonder.

If yes, you shouldn't. I recommend using a source port such as PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 and GZDoom. None of them have mouse issues.

Edited by Agent6

Just use a source port. Only use DOSBox if you are trying to play it in the original form, and even then, Chocolate Doom is a better option.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:03 AM, Agent6 said:

Hm... are you playing the game through DOSBox? "and only by completely reinstalling the game can I get it to work" <- This part made me wonder.

If not, you should. I recommend PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 and GZDoom. None of them have mouse issues.

Yeah, the steam version uses DOSBox.

On 1/6/2018 at 0:19 PM, Nevander said:

Just use a source port. Only use DOSBox if you are trying to play it in the original form, and even then, Chocolate Doom is a better option.

I got chocolate doom a while back, but it was just the shareware version. How do I get the actual version?

1 hour ago, Zeldamaster736 said:

I got chocolate doom a while back, but it was just the shareware version. How do I get the actual version?

You need to find your Iwad files from your Steam installs. These are DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD, TNT.WAD and PLUTONIA.WAD. The Master Levels includes 20 Pwad files, which need to be loaded alongside DOOM2.WAD.

Never use DOSBox. It is so laggy that it should be obliterated from the existence.... maybe DOSBox under SDL2 is ok.