Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Who is the most promising newcomer?

49 minutes ago, 40oz said:

Sorry this is doesn't address the thread topic directly, and not trying to play down my expectations for future Doom goliaths, but I've been clued in recently about some long time doomworld members who will be releasing their own projects for the first time in a looong time and I've been pumped about that.

You tellin' me 2018's gonna be a great year for WAD releases?

If so, I'm down for that.

A2Rob and NeedHealth definitely caught the ideas of creating small maps. Their maps in Pigeon Speedmapping Sessions are so fun to play.

Paul977 has sick difficult maps and a fun short map for Nova 3. The details and environment are created well.

floatRand created so many good looking and fun (sometimes) maps in Disjunction.

I'm going to say Scotty, the quick improvements he made within a year is insane. His CK submissions vs what he has put out of late is vastly inferior.

StormCatcher.77 - has posted some really impressive stuff in the screenshots thread.

Oh, and Manbou - Water Spirit was one of 2017s standout releases for me.

If I talk about myself, maybe after 500 years I'll show my full creativity/potencial to do something note-worthy, but I'm afraid this page and ftp server won't exist anymore. 

6 hours ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

Also, define a "newcomer"

somebody who's only started mapping within the last 25 years

Edited by bonnie

4 minutes ago, bonnie said:

Reveal hidden contents

p.s. play my maps they got buried on page 1

Same situation here, play Harvest. I will try your maps when I will get home.

3 hours ago, TMD said:

Me of course:
The thread.

I mean, I keep promising things. And I feel like I started yesterday, experience-wise.

So sure.

my advice to new mappers is to ignore the urge to abandon a half-done map to start another "even better" map >:) i have a litany of forgotten yet sizable map scraps on various laptops and they'll probably never see the light of day. finish one map and file your ideas for teh future - you never know, you might reclaim the original passion you had for that concept

Obviously me

Joking of course, I don't find myself worthy of such title.

A2Rob, floatRand and Scotty are more than worthy, on the other hand. Each have their own style which is good - and I think in the future they will be even better.

I don't know but someone called Stockie made a promising first map. I think he could be an interesting mapper.

I'd also put in a +1 on FloatRand being a great newcomer - their maps are always ambitious, and more importantly, well executed.

4 hours ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

@MemfisAll creators are attentin whores and the actual reason why so many people clicked here is that they wanted to see their name appear

It's true.

I agree with Memfis' opinion. I'm not against trying to grab the attention from people, since creators want to receive feedback from other people, so they can make better works in the future. The problem is that this thread is about mentioning the other people, who showed some impressive works as newcomers. And not about self-advertising someone's work, which is definitely not the point of this thread. I believe that those self-promotions are just for shits and giggles, of course.

Which means I'll definitely not going to nominate myself as a promising newcomer. Heck, even my first wad was released to the public twelve years ago.

6 hours ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

@MemfisAll creators are attentin whores and the actual reason why so many people clicked here is that they wanted to see their name appear

Guilty as charged.   I feel rather ashamed at how accurate this is.

1 hour ago, antares031 said:

Heck, even my first wad was released to the public twelve years ago.

I was gonna mention you earlier, but then i checked your prof and it looked like you had older stuff from a while ago so i figured you didn't count.  Though, your recent stuff is good.  the kerberos textures look good too.

18 hours ago, Pegleg said:

He already got a cacoward, albeit not for newcomer (which would be ridiculously ironic). I don't know if he's planning to create any more new levels for Doom since those levels were just the warm-up for Blackroom, which is supposed to be out at the end of this year.

Otherwise, I agree with @Myst.Haruko and @leodoom85 regarding potential.

If those maps were considered Romero's warm-ups, imagine when he's at full strength. o_O