Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lorecast162

DOS Source Ports?

Ancient versions of ZDoom had a DOS execute. ZDOS v1.17c, made by Randi. It works, no music if I recall.

MBF or SMMU are probably the best ones.  There is (was?) someone doing bugfix releases of DOS MBF still, I believe, although I recall it having a performance problem on a certain map (that wasn't a problem for Boom / SMMU).

While it's not exactly a port there are also the Doom Plus hacks that raise vanilla limits a little.  They do not guarantee being able to run limit-removing levels though (the limits are still there, just raised).

I don't think anyone mentioned DosDoom yet which is what eventually morphed into EDGE and then 3DGE.  I think early Eternity builds had a DOS release as well?  Not 100% sure there.

I don't recommend using SMMU; it has a lot of bugs. I instead suggest either MBF or one of the old DOS Eternity Engine releases.

I think EDGE 1.27 was the last release to work under DOS (if I remember correctly). Also was the last that had the software renderer before the team switched to OpenGL exclusively. 

@fabian I believe Julianna has also written, or at least refined, the Russian translations for EDGE recently <3 she's great at what she does, that's for sure ^_^

@fabian, @Coraline, thanks colleagues!

From my experience about DOS version - frankly, nowadays it's something like "demoscene" rather than source port in traditional meaning. Really not much people interesting in it, but hey, it's still good thing to do for fun and for self-education of course.

Coraline, I can gladly adapt my translation for 3DGE, all resources and texts are polished. But since 3DGE must also have English language, some additions are absolutely necessary in the 3DGE's code, like support for Cyrillic characters in language.ddf and additional table for console font. There are also can be some "underwater rocks", since translation itself is highly resource-depending thing.

In short words: it should be done perfectly, or should not be done at all.

@Julian Nechaevsky I hear you darling, EDGE's language parser is here on Git, so we would need to see what else we need for such a thing. I am definitely on board to support Cryllic, and the console font handler should be much simpler since it is image-based and not patch/string based. Send me a message and we could work on it, when you have free time of course :)

MBF 2.04 (an unofficial build made by vintage computer enthusiasts over at VOGONS) which has a framerate counter!