Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hairylegs222

Savegame Help

Cruising along having a blast on community chest 4. Went to save and the exact moment I saved, got blasted by a mancubus. I've tried everything I can think of to load the save without dying. I die the moment it's loaded. Tried many times to put on god mode just before I die but no success.

Using GZDoom, Project Brutality.

Anyone have any ideas please share.

This is why I don't save in the middle of a battle, unless I have explicit cover and can be guaranteed at least a couple seconds of breathing before something rounds the corner, least I just die by something I didn't see.

2 hours ago, hairylegs222 said:

Anyone have any ideas please share.

Yeah, next time make a second save at the beginning of the level so you have a fallback save. Or do what I do and keep a rotation going. Save 1 is at the beginning, then save 2 is next, save 3 is next, then after that save over save 2, then save over save 3, etc.

I'm usually letting GZDoom's autosaves from the beginning of the level and later make new saves on my way and overwrite them as I progress through the maps, always when I have cover or no enemies are around, in order to avoid such scenarios.

I wonder however how godmode doesn't do it's job from what you say, that's odd. If not even that works I suppose you should restart the level and do it all over again. Or use "resurrect".

Edited by Agent6

It doesn't work when you load the exact moment of taking that last hit that removes the last of your life, even pausing the game to bring down the console will still play the last frame where you get hit, if you managed to time it that badly.

If you really care about this savegame, you can open the console and bind a key to both loading that specific savegame and then immediately toggling IDDQD. As a test, I tried Bind b "load save1.zds; IDDQD" and it worked. If the timing of your save is godlike in its proximity to the manc fireball, you might be screwed anyway, but this console command is a lot faster than you can physically press 'pause' after loading in order to try IDDQD, so it'll give you more leeway. You have to use the proper save name (they'll still be save#.zds though). Might need to open your GZDoom directory and see which save was last modified. Also I ended with Unbind b, so future misclicks aren't a problem.

Edited by rdwpa

Oh perfect! Resurrect in the console was what I was looking for, thank you that worked :). Also thanks for all the other suggestions, appreciate it.