Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

Project Warlock

5 hours ago, dybbuk said:

6 days on gog. Official release date 10.18.18 !!!!!

That's great! Looking forward to it.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, VGA said:

No monster rotations?

Seems like it's another retro-nostalgic simplistic shooter. What I mean is, it's way more shallow than Doom, a game from 1993. Way more shallow. I don't know if I stressed this enough: EXTREMELY shallow gameplay compared to Doom because of the simple Wolf3D/ROTT architecture and static enemies.

I base my opinion on the video above. An example is the way he fights the monsters with melee, just standing there and spamming attacks. Even this is impossible in Doom, you have to bait the Demons into attacking and backing off them.

It did start as a wolfenstein 3D clone, people just kept comparing it to other later games so they agreed I guess. Pretend there was a game released before wolf3d and doom that maxed out enemies and weapons far more than doom itself. No repeating music, completely new texture sets per 5 episodes with completely different enemy sets for each theme as well. They put a lot of work in this and it far exceeded anyone's expectations.

I am just salty because I want a game that is what Dusk is to Quake. What Ion Maiden is to Duke Nukem 3D.

But so many people just want to create pixel art, combine it with Unity engine lighting and effects and create simple Wolf3D 2-dimensional maps with monsters that have no rotations and are like sliding cardboards for you to shoot, while the player moves like in Wolf3D.

What about 2.5D maps like in Doom, where there is actual architecture and even platforming? :(

Game isn't bad. Color shader option rules. Gameplay reminds me wolf3d. Very nice enemies animation, mood, textures, sprites. Not bad sound. Some graphical issues here and there (z-fighting, strange glows, or blacks when you are near the wall). Generally game is interesting.

8 hours ago, VGA said:

I am just salty because I want a game that is what Dusk is to Quake. What Ion Maiden is to Duke Nukem 3D.

But so many people just want to create pixel art, combine it with Unity engine lighting and effects and create simple Wolf3D 2-dimensional maps with monsters that have no rotations and are like sliding cardboards for you to shoot, while the player moves like in Wolf3D.

What about 2.5D maps like in Doom, where there is actual architecture and even platforming? :(

I got you covered, fam.

Before anyone thinks I'm just trying to sell the game, I've made my cut before it was released. I'm just speaking as a player, this is the best wolf3d clone anywhere and by itself stands on it's own as a really fun game.

And that GGGmanlives video was a massive honor. I used to binge watch that guy on the upstairs smart tv. He's a great reviewer, and we got a better review than the new COD haha

Picked it up, looking forward to it. Might play some this weekend. Boss fights look like fun + I dig the theme & art style.

Bought it on a whim, haven't played much because I've spent like an hour fine-tuning the CRT post effects and other graphical options. Pro-tip: turn down the color threshold to 0. Also, the custom CRT options reset when you leave the game which is annoying.

I've just finished the first episode and I can confirm: it's really fun! More than I expected actually. The art style is distinct and pretty, enemies look nice and diverse, weapons are really cool. So far so good.

But there's an unfortunate bug in one of the graveyards levels. There's a switch that opens a secret somewhere else but you don't get xp for getting to the secret room but rather by activating a switch. The problem: you can activate this switch as many times as you want. I haven't tried to abuse it because I want an honest playthrough but I did activate it a couple of times to confirm it's a bug and yeah... I assume you can just max out your character in that level.

What the hell were people bitching about here, I don't get it. It looked ok for what it was(made by a single person). I really want to know how this guy managed to get 3-4 other people to join with him though?

Was that after or before the GoG deal ?

Looks fun. I'm envious of anyone that can crank their vision out. It's going to get shit on one of way or another. I will still wait for it go on sale. I've nothing but envy and respect for those that make it happen. I can shit on it, but here I am, shit out a few amateur levels of something it's emulating. :D

2 hours ago, pulkmees said:

What the hell were people bitching about here, I don't get it.

If you are talking about me, I was disappointed because it has no height variation, no monster rotations and combat (especially melee) looked bland in that video. But now that it's come out, people seem to like it and it looks very good on that gggmanlives video, I am again interested and plan to buy it when it comes out on Steam if it gets good reviews!

Will they release an SDK?

I think I came here after the fact so I never saw how it looked back then. Maybe it did look kind of meh. At least GGmanlives confirmed the shooting is very enjoyable.

12 hours ago, Touchdown said:

I've just finished the first episode and I can confirm: it's really fun! More than I expected actually. The art style is distinct and pretty, enemies look nice and diverse, weapons are really cool. So far so good.

But there's an unfortunate bug in one of the graveyards levels. There's a switch that opens a secret somewhere else but you don't get xp for getting to the secret room but rather by activating a switch. The problem: you can activate this switch as many times as you want. I haven't tried to abuse it because I want an honest playthrough but I did activate it a couple of times to confirm it's a bug and yeah... I assume you can just max out your character in that level.

Seriously.

10 hours ago, VGA said:

If you are talking about me, I was disappointed because it has no height variation, no monster rotations and combat (especially melee) looked bland in that video. But now that it's come out, people seem to like it and it looks very good on that gggmanlives video, I am again interested and plan to buy it when it comes out on Steam if it gets good reviews!

Will they release an SDK?

level editor will be in one of the updates

Entering the final episode. Really enjoying the game. As I mentioned earlier, the visual style is really nice, especially enemy designs - they all look interesting and the animations are neat.

I have three main problems with it though. First: some areas are really, really ugly. Like literally square rooms with abstract textures and nothing inside of them, especially in E4. A lot of sections look very pretty for the graphical style that this game has but then there are those places that are downright Wolf3D level of fidelity and that kinda sucks because the game obviously is capable of looking better than that.

Second: the difficulty level. I'm playing on Normal and ever since the start of E3 the game is completely trivial. After boosting my health and ammo capacity + installing some weapon upgrades I'm pretty much unstoppable - I don't even feel like dodging or paying attention to my health level because I'd have to do absolutely nothing to die. The Nailgun upgrade is overpowered as hell, it annihilates everything without much effort. I mean, it's nice to feel powerful but after you get some upgrades there really isn't any danger anymore.

I think on my second playthrough I'll just not upgrade anything to make it more of a challenge.

Finally, I'm not a fan of all those sequence breaking secrets that let you skip half of the level. I'm not sure why anyone thought it was a good idea to have that in almost every map.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:32 AM, Touchdown said:

Finally, I'm not a fan of all those sequence breaking secrets that let you skip half of the level. I'm not sure why anyone thought it was a good idea to have that in almost every map.

I'm going to assume it's for speedrunning. And you don't actually have to exit the level as soon as you find the exit, you can go back and explore.

Ok, so I've finished it. Surprisingly neat game and I'm already looking forward to replaying it on Hardcore. I won't repeat my thoughts from previous posts. I'll just add that the final episode was kinda cool and... kinda disappointing at the same time. I have some mixed feelings about it. Let me explain:

# (E5 setting spoiler)

Spoiler

So the final episode is supposedly set in Hell except that it's pretty much just hellified versions of previous settings. The first chapter was freaking epic but then it was just E2+flesh textures, E3+flesh textures, etc. Sucks that the Hell theme was not as thoroughly explored as other settings.

# In terms of gameplay it was almost slaughterish which was really nice for the final episode. I absolutely love the enemies there - some of my favourite demons lurk in E5 so if you're playing this game, look forward to that. With that said...

# (E5 theme / enemies)

Spoiler

The last episode is a 'worlds collide' scenario where all of the realms converge in one place. As a result we're not exclusively facing new monster but rather all enemies from all episodes. On one hand it does feel pretty epic, like this is the culmination of everything. On the other... it would have been nice to get some proper hellscape with E5 demons only. I think 3 levels of pure Hell + 1 'everything merges together' level with all possible enemies + boss level would have been better.

# E5 also has a similiar issue as E4 - some areas are downright ugly / lazy. There's a section in one of the maps where you literally go through a series of empty, square rooms connected by doors, '92 style (and not in a good way). Pretty uninspired compared to other places. The first E5 chapter (first two levels) for instance are pretty damn amazing and atmospheric.

But ANYWAY. I enjoyed this game a lot actually. I'm not sure it's an obvious recommendation like Dusk, Amid Evil or Ion Maiden, mainly due to its Wolf3D style... But I'd say it's worth giving it a try.

Also, now I want CRT glitch options in every game.

17 hours ago, Jello said:

I'm going to assume it's for speedrunning. And you don't actually have to exit the level as soon as you find the exit, you can go back and explore.

I'm not sure how a shortcut to the end of the level would benefit speedrunning other than making it kinda boring. But on that note in a couple of levels I've actually blocked myself out from exploration because using such a shortcut, especially when it's a secret teleporter, might take you somewhere where you can't go back from. Of course by the end I've learned not to step into suspicious teleporters but still... pretty weird design decision in my opinion.

Edited by Touchdown