Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 33 - ph33r

Vindicator

Hitscanners and barrels

Music: Aces High by Iron Maiden, assuming Obsidian adds it for me :)

Edited by Capellan

Name: Tunnelling Trolls

Themes Used: Emphasis on hitscans and barrels

Build Time: 2.5 hours

Music: Theme of "Xidus Station" from Demonstar Secret Missions 1

Music Composer: Currently unknown

Textures Used: Just ass33res

DOWNLOAD
Posting here too! :D

Name: Keen on the Cosby
Themes: Crushers KINDA and Hitscanners!
Build Time: 2 Hours 10 mins ish
Music: Riot in Lagos - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Holy shit I made a map! Interpic will be coming soon-ish whenever!

Woops forgot the midi :P good job me

Edited by Fuzzball

Name: Chainnagadadavida

Themes Used: Only hitscanners and thicc barrels

Build Time: 2 hours 20 minutes

Music: "Minister Of The Emu War" from 30in30-3

Music Composer: Jimmy

Textures Used: ASS_33res.wad

I'd be inclined to agree: we had a solid showing for this month and got some damn good maps to prove it. A beta compilation will be hitting stores near you in the next couple days.

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Capellan's was bullshit... in a good way.  don't watch that one because it's embarrassing.

Well I liked it :)

Here is your INTERPIC for this month- blame TMD and his hidden Caco army tucked away from the stream last night! :D

unknown.png

..and as always gotta have some intermission music too!
Doot musics

Its "Office Work" from Classic Road 2 composed by Hayato Matsuo! Nifty fun music~

Played through the maps between last night and today; fun times everybody and great job! Here is a collection of demos. Excuse the poor, uncoordinated play; I blame the touchscreen controls... and the wind, and I got something in my eye.

Pinchy's map was the first I played. I liked the use of the space, as well as the use of hitscanners to cover such a large, open area. I died in most maps, and this one set the tone of that fairly quickly. I wasn't a fan of repeating the beginning several times, but that's mostly because it was hard to aim. Your map was the only one that crashed D-Touch's GlBoom+, (though Fuzzball's crashed PrBoom+ right at the end) ironically the first of the bunch for my playthrough too, but turning it down to software on this means low res, which was admittedly more of a problem in Fuzzball's map when I forgot to change back to gl. But back on subject and low res aside, this map was very nice looking! I really liked the shapes, texture-use, and lighting. The gameplay was pretty neat too, though a bit on the low end for health, at least for me with these controls. Fun use of barrels, though I never found use for the cute barrels that raised from the ground, even after finally figuring out what the switch did; the cg'ers avoided them for me, heh. I didn't find the secret either; apparently I guessed wrong and didn't think the other cubby would have anything in it; assumptions are fun like that. I think the 4 cubbies by the YK would be more useful encounter-wise if the player couldn't run straight through the YK and off the platform, towards the AV/RL, but I wasn't too upset at dying to them after reaching the exit and vainly deciding I wanted 100's before leaving, heh. Nicely executed map!

ForumGiraffe's map was next. Unfortunately I lost the FDA; I made it to the end and I guess let Romero go, which was the wrong decision apparently because the victory screen never came, then about 20-30 secs later the game crashed and I hit restart, which wasn't the smartest thing to do. Now I have an FDA that is 300 bytes, yay. But you really aren't missing much, surprise shotgunner in beginning got me, then teleport trap. Then spectres, chaingunners, got crushed once, and killed like 5 more times from spectres in low res, loool. Finally counted them and made it to the end, somehow lived through the last fight, and then Romero part. I then wised up and put it back on gl and made the demo in the zip.

On subject: I really liked how the map looked and flowed; everything was fun to explore and I was mildly sad when I reached the end for the fact that the map was over; very pretty job with the aesthetics here! The gameplay was quick and a bit deadly; things kept moving along nicely, though a cg would have been really nice to have early on, and maybe a bit more health, hehe. That'll be a recurring theme here, but it's to be expected. One last thing, I did not finish this map; I hugged Romero and died with him, but that's a win in my Doom-nerd book.

Next was Surreily's map. I really liked this maps gameplay; it definitely killed me a couple times, but it was a fun ride. The BK part seemed really harsh, but actually wound itself down kinda nicely after I booked it and played pattycake with the manc. Fun use of crushers, terrain, and mobs. The aesthetics of this map were also well-done; detailing through architecture, good texture use, and nice lighting make this a pretty map to explore, in addition to being a fun little romp.

Capellan's map ended my night last night and started my play today. I did not finish this map, also when I finally gave up the FDA, took a break and came back, I accidentally forgot to rename the new demo and the FDA went bye-bye. Smart move done, I got frustrated quickly while playing and quit 10 mins later. Today I went back and banged my head into the wall for another little while; I found both secrets, but there was still just not enough health in the map for me to do this. If the map wasn't so infuriating on the hitscans and acid in the beginning, as well as low supplies, I might have gone back on a lesser difficulty, but I just can't stomach the pain in my soul anymore. It was a nicely built map though and had some good exploration factor to it as well. Fun barrel use was certainly a plus and the areas were all built well for the mobs that occupied them. Of course that statement is backward as the mobs come after the layout, but the mob placement worked really well for each area, from the beginning with zombies hunting the player around several corners, to the outside area with its pressure from different angles, including even the barrels lining the outsides as they are too a potential hazard. Going into the YK door, the enemy use was nicely done and I liked the final trap. If I had more ammo/health by this point it would have been a swell ending, but the low supplies and touchscreen mishaps, such as watching projectiles fly into me and failing to move at all, made this map frustrate me. Sorry for the DNF; it was a nice map. May my many "drunk"-seeming deaths bring you great joy.

After that I hit up Moustachio's map. I think this was the one map I didn't die on? I forget; maybe I did did here too. Fun use of areas, could have used a bit more interaction between each of the three areas, rather than each being mostly separate areas. The BK trap was fun though and I liked monster use throughout. There was a HOM on each side of the bridge that raises after the BK door. I loved the RK area after grabbing that blur sphere; that was a good time. Also it looked nice. Well done here!

Jimmy's map came alphabetically last so that's the map I ended with. This map was very pretty, it had some sweet architecture, great texturing, and good lighting to boot. Enemy placement was such that provided pressure from more than a couple angles at any given point in time, save for the arach whose placement left him open for a non-threatening kill. Still, with the SSG inside there, he would have gone quick anyway. I really liked the HK+lift use; got me twice there. The rad suit focus of the map made things a bit hairy at times, but also left ample time to do everything and health was forgiving enough to let me skinny dip a bit here and there. This was such a fun map and beautifully crafted for the time you spent on it; excellent job here!

All-in-all some good, strong maps from each; I really enjoyed playing these maps. Fun times all!

Edited by Fonze

@Fonze sorry my very very distant forum friend, but I didn't participate in this session as this was at the night(as I live somewhere in europe) and I was tired for proper speedmapping. I guess, you mixed other person... maybe next time I'll show what I can do. 

Unless, there are two people under Haruko username and this post can be ignored if this is a case.  

I should probably mention that there's a decent few more maps than just the ones in this thread: we ended up with a cool 13 maps by the end of things and quite a few were posted directly onto the server. I'll see what I can do about compiling them in a timely fashion.

24 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Timely enough for you folks? :P

Let me know if there's any screwups.

Speed-WAD-compiling! A whole new category of speed mapping! 

I'll give this a try tomorrow evening, looking forward to standing too close to some barrels.

9 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Timely enough for you folks? :P

Let me know if there's any screwups.

Right on sid, I was about to ask for a new link to the discord so I could dl the other 7 maps; thanks for making things convenient! Will try to make time to play these tonight; didn't get any sleep last night so that may not work out but we'll see :)

And DotW, of course, finishes Vindicator on his FDA.  I swear he's not human, he's like some Doom-playing robot instead.

Got DotW's permission to share that FDA.  It was played with the standalone WAD I posted on page 1, not the compiled WAD posted by Obsidian.