Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pegleg

Does chocorenderlimits work on Mac with Chocolate Doom 3.0.0?

Recommended Posts

@Memfis made a demo of my map (thank you) and, the first time I watched it in Chocolate Doom, it crashed with a visplane overflow of 130 visplanes. I have tried to duplicate the error in my own testing, but have been unable to do so. I downloaded a copy of Chocorenderlimits (from here) to try to track down these problems, but the readme file says that it was built with Chocolate Doom 1.5.

 

I'm using Chocolate Doom 3.0.0 (I also have version 2.2.1) on a Mac OS X.

 

1. Can I use chocorenderlimits with either of these versions of Chocolate Doom on a Mac? Or do I have to use Windows?

2. If so, how do I go about doing so? Is there a command line argument that runs chocorenderlimits within Chocolate Doom or is it standalone?

3. Am I driving myself insane and holding up a re-release of a map for a minor point that may never come up during gameplay?

Share this post


Link to post

Renderlimits is a standalone version of chocolate doom with additional diagnostic tools. It just needs the Iwad in its directory to run. Being based on an older version of chocolate doom wont affect VPO or HOM detection.

Share this post


Link to post

Chocorenderlimits is an edited version of Chocolate Doom that was compiled separately.

 

I am not sure if official binaries are available anywhere so I downloaded and compiled https://github.com/chocolatiers/ChocoRenderLimits . It appears to more or less be based on Choco 3.0 (if that really matters) but something's weird with the sound in the version I compiled and it likes to crash near-instantly unless you run with -nosound.

 

chocorenderlimits for mac.zip

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/9/2018 at 9:28 AM, Szymanski said:

Renderlimits is a standalone version of chocolate doom with additional diagnostic tools. It just needs the Iwad in its directory to run. Being based on an older version of chocolate doom wont affect VPO or HOM detection.

 

On 1/9/2018 at 2:46 PM, Linguica said:

Chocorenderlimits is an edited version of Chocolate Doom that was compiled separately.

 

I am not sure if official binaries are available anywhere so I downloaded and compiled https://github.com/chocolatiers/ChocoRenderLimits . It appears to more or less be based on Choco 3.0 (if that really matters) but something's weird with the sound in the version I compiled and it likes to crash near-instantly unless you run with -nosound.

 

chocorenderlimits for mac.zip

Thank you both for the help.

 

Unfortunately, when I unzip the file and go to run either of the files inside, even with the iwad in the directory, I get the same message within the terminal window.

 

Spoiler

Mac-ac87a3003815:~ stephanietedesco$ /Users/stephanietedesco/Documents/Files/utilities/chocorenderlimits\ for\ mac/chocorenderlimits-setup ; exit;

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/sdl2/lib/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib

  Referenced from: /Users/stephanietedesco/Documents/Files/utilities/chocorenderlimits for mac/chocorenderlimits-setup

  Reason: image not found

Trace/BPT trap: 5

logout

 

[Process completed]

 

From what I gather, I need this dynamic library in the chocorenderlimits directory. Unfortunately, I can't find a copy of this library floating around, even within the github site referenced above. I am not a terribly programming-savvy person, so it's entirely possible I'm just missing the file somwehere, but at this point, I am dead in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Pegleg said:

From what I gather, I need this dynamic library in the chocorenderlimits directory. Unfortunately, I can't find a copy of this library floating around, even within the github site referenced above. I am not a terribly programming-savvy person, so it's entirely possible I'm just missing the file somwehere, but at this point, I am dead in the water.

...hmm, I didn't even know that was a thing. I looked inside the Chocolate Doom app package contents and found these files in the same directory, so I guess they are important?

 

dylibs.zip

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/11/2018 at 3:41 AM, Linguica said:

...hmm, I didn't even know that was a thing. I looked inside the Chocolate Doom app package contents and found these files in the same directory, so I guess they are important?

 

dylibs.zip

Again, thank you for the help with this and for putting up with my lack of savviness.

 

I am now if the process of trying to find version 8.0.0 of the library because the version in Chocolate Doom is apparently version 5.0.0. I didn't know that was a thing, either.

 

Perhaps @fraggle might have some insight, since I think @RestlessRodent is out of the community for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Pegleg

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×