Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DutchDoomer

People Still Play Quake 1-2 SP? Any Maps?

I've been playing pretty much nothing but doom mods/megawads

and some s.t.a.l.k.e.r mods on the side if i get bored of doom...

well i decided to pick up the quake series again since i lost my copies its been a while

anyways last time was when i was a kid/teen im now 30 but yeah my question is 

do people still play quake 1 and 2 as much as people play doom 1-2? because 

doom is pretty popular in the mapping/modding scene what about quake do people still make SP maps for it?

and if so any recommandations?

also what source port? im guessing quakespasm?

10 minutes ago, RetroDoomKid said:

my question is do people still play quake 1 and 2 as much as people play doom 1-2? because doom is pretty popular in the mapping/modding scene what about quake do people still make SP maps for it?

I could usually go for some Quake SP someday (I'm preferably a Quake 1 player). There's also a Quake related archive website called "Quaddicted", there's one latest map called "Temple of Azathoth" and it was dated on Oct 10, 2017.

24 minutes ago, RetroDoomKid said:

I usually go for either Quakespasm, Darkplaces, or just plain Winquake.

Winquake is for just nostalgia purposes, I've played the shareware version that included Winquake and liked it when I was little and still into Doom and other id Software titles.

If you want to play Quake on a modern OSes, I'd either go for Darkplaces or Quakespasm, I used to play with Darkplaces, but nowadays I use QuakeSpasm to play Quake on modern OSes.

Quakespasm is my go to engine for Quake 1 as it also retains the old classic Quake gameplay feel to it. Of course if you are getting the game on say Steam you would have to download the soundtrack since there's no music on digital retailers. Anyways, might be good to check out Quake Injector, it's pretty convenient to use and you have internet access to the Quaddicted archive and you can download single-player maps from there. You can also see the ratings of maps to have an idea if something is good or not.

https://www.quaddicted.com/tools/quake_injector

Some mapsets I can recommend checking out are Arcane Dimensions, Dimensions of the Past (Made by Machine Games, the devs behind the new Wolfensteins), Rubicon Rumble Pack, or pretty much most community map jams. As for Quake 2, I haven't really checked, I only know that new content is still coming for Quake 1.

1 hour ago, Baratus 95 said:

I could usually go for some Quake SP someday (I'm preferably a Quake 1 player). There's also a Quake related archive website called "Quaddicted", there's one latest map called "Temple of Azathoth" and it was dated on Oct 10, 2017.

I usually go for either Quakespasm, Darkplaces, or just plain Winquake.

Winquake is for just nostalgia purposes, I've played the shareware version that included Winquake and liked it when I was little and still into Doom and other id Software titles.

If you want to play Quake on a modern OSes, I'd either go for Darkplaces or Quakespasm, I used to play with Darkplaces, but nowadays I use QuakeSpasm to play Quake on modern OSes.

nice cool ill check it out also what do you like to play mostly? just curious

Still playing Quake myself and I'm using Darkplaces, for now it's my go to source port, especially for texture mods, which look amazing in it.

For mods in general I suggest http://quakeone.com

Edited by Agent6

2 hours ago, RetroDoomKid said:

do people still play quake 1 and 2 as much as people play doom 1-2? because 

doom is pretty popular in the mapping/modding scene what about quake do people still make SP maps for it?

I probably play Quake more than I play Doom anymore.  Quaddicted has a lot of nice SP maps (including my first one :D).  Never tried the Quake Injector, though; I do my stuff oldschool.  Some of my personal favorite maps/mods are: mappi2, tbg1, runeworld03, rpgsp1, oms2, networld, ion01, hayduke1, gmsp3v2, ew2, czg03, cappuccino_v2, ac, a2d2, kaahoo1a, and nesp09.

I definitely recommend using Quakespasm.  Darkplaces is good if the mod needs it, but it can have issues with others.

25 minutes ago, RetroDoomKid said:

nice cool ill check it out also what do you like to play mostly? just curious

At the moment, been playing mostly DOOM II, as for mostly playing games in general, I usually play mostly MS-DOS or Windows 9x games.

Like Ajora said Quakespasm engine is really great Quake port.Also go to Quadicted site for maps.

Also use this: https://github.com/m-x-d/Simple-Quake-Launcher-2/releases

Its basically a ZDL for Quake!

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/bbelief.html

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/zer.html

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/dopa.html

I also reccomend this great mapsets for a start.

In addition what people have already mentioned, make sure to play Travail and Honey. Anything with the Quoth/Contract Revoked name attached to it is usually pretty good too (Quoth is a resource pack, not a mapset, but people have made a lot of really cool maps with it).

Quoth maps represent the very best that Quake modding has to offer, and while Honey is amazing, I do prefer Red777 and Subterranean Library over it by just a little. 

Thanks guys look like i got alot of quaking to do this weekend also i got quakespasm but no music in any of the gameplay how come? I love doom for the pumping music but quake has non at least not in the source port?

Where did you get Quake from? I heard whatever they're pushing through Steam has no music, which is simply embarrassing.

But somewhat understandable. Half-Life had to be modified to support reading music from HDD. This is because a lot of games from that era had music as CD tracks. Today, you either need to have Quake CD in your drive, or an image of it in a virtual drive, or a source port capable of reading music files.

Quakespasm can do that, though I don't remember which formats it supports, aside from wav and ogg. The tracks should be in id1/music and named like this:

track02.ogg

track03.ogg

track11.ogg

It starts with "track02" because the first track on the CD is data.

Though if you want "pumping" music, you'll be disappointed - it's mostly dark ambient.

Edited by Da Werecat

The GOG releases of Q1 and Q2 don't have music either. It's not just that the tracks don't play properly -- they aren't included. Apparently it's just not a thing that game distributors are willing or able to do.

1 hour ago, Not Jabba said:

The GOG releases of Q1 and Q2 don't have music either. It's not just that the tracks don't play properly -- they aren't included. Apparently it's just not a thing that game distributors are willing or able to do.

I don't know what you're talking about honestly as I own both on GOG and the music plays on the DOS version of Quake (the music is even inside the CD image they supply you) and I hear it play fine on Quake 2, though it doesn't loop correctly on the original .exe.

15 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

I don't know what you're talking about honestly as I own both on GOG and the music plays on the DOS version of Quake (the music is even inside the CD image they supply you) and I hear it play fine on Quake 2, though it doesn't loop correctly on the original .exe.

Well, to each their own, I guess. My install even has a folder called "music" but there's nothing in it, and nothing plays either from the DOS version or with a port. Looks like it's the most current version on GOG, but maybe I did something wrong.

3 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Where did you get Quake from? I heard whatever they're pushing through Steam has no music, which is simply embarrassing.

But somewhat understandable. Half-Life had to be modified to support reading music from HDD. This is because a lot of games from that era had music as CD tracks. Today, you either need to have Quake CD in your drive, or an image of it in a virtual drive, or a source port capable of reading music files.

Quakespasm can do that, though I don't remember which formats it supports, aside from wav and ogg. The tracks should be in id1/music and named like this:

track02.ogg

track03.ogg

track11.ogg

It starts with "track02" because the first track on the CD is data.

Though if you want "pumping" music, you'll be disappointed - it's mostly dark ambient.

Quakespasm also supports FLAC, but Quake 1's CD is pre-emphasized, so you have rip it as a WAV file, then de-emphasize it, then convert the WAV files to FLAC or something.

Cool, I compared the spectrograms and apparently I need to de-emphasize my tracks. I wonder if the correct ones will sound weird after me listening to the incorrect ones for so long.

is there still a quake community tho? i know people still make maps but are there actually a lot of people still playing them or what? i know doom has sites like this for the community but it seems like quake is a little bit on the dead end which is unfortunate but maybe doom is so popular because of mods like brutal doom and project brutality probably

20 hours ago, RetroDoomKid said:

is there still a quake community tho? i know people still make maps but are there actually a lot of people still playing them or what? i know doom has sites like this for the community but it seems like quake is a little bit on the dead end which is unfortunate but maybe doom is so popular because of mods like brutal doom and project brutality probably

Most of the Quake's SP community is situated in Func_Msgboard (http://www.celephais.net/board/forum.php). Although we mostly use Discord now to frequently communicate and show off maps and other stuff.

Quake 2 solo campaign is (at least to me) boring as hell, I can't even stand playing it more than 5 minutes, I have never passed thru the first level, and is not that I wouldn't have tried. Quake, on the other hand, is my second favorite Id game, and I play it very often.