Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hoover1979

[HELP ME] GZDoom squashed endgame screens.

Hi.  I formatted the endgame screens from Risen3D to the correct 16:9 ratio (they were originally out of aspect and stretched to fill the screen), and filtered them up to 2160p (but using 1620p versions for risen3D as any higher causes memory allocation crash) using the "Preserve Details 2.0" resize filter in Photoshop CC2018 and then applied HDR lighting via Filter Forge. Then made from scratch the "The End" text for episode 3 with all bullet hole frames (as Risen3D used resized original files), and in risen 3D it looks amazing!  So I ported them into GZDOom (using the 3840x2160 endgame screens) but they are squished into 4:3 in the game with black bars to the left and right of the image, and the only way I could  get them to fill the screen was to force the whole game into 4:3 which then resulted in the entire game running as 4:3 stretched out into 16:9 ruining the aspect.

Is there any way in GZDoom 3.2.5 (x64) to get the title/intermission/endgame screens (including the bullet-riddled "The End" text) to fill the entire 16:9 screen and keep the game itself in the correct aspect for 16:9 too.  If not is there a chance of this being implemented in an update?  The only workaround I can think of is to letterbox the images into 2880x2160 but that would mean the screens would have a huge black border and I would then need to do something about the "The End" text or it would still be squashed in.

If there is no setting I can change to get the title/intermission/endgame screens to fully utilize the 16:9 screen without stretching out the aspect of the entire game, would it be possible for GZDOom to get this changed in an update (if a GZDoom Dev reads this thread)?

Below is an example.  The upper image is from Risen3D and uses the correct aspect for 16:9, the lower image is from GZDoom 3.2.5 (x64) showing it squashed into a 4:3 area of the 16:9 screen with black bars to the left and right.

r3d_gzd_aspect_comparison_by_hoover1979-
Assistance would be vastly appreciated.

Edit: I think it's GZDoom 3.0.5, it is the latest version and I made that screenie with 72 hours of no sleep.

Edited by hoover1979 : Fixing Typos. Adding more info.

This is something I've been looking for as well. There might be a setting somewhere in the display settings, I think I accidentally run into it by accident in Hexen while I was configuring the game.

I hope either I can find an elusive setting to fix the aspect issue or the GZDoom Devs fix this in a future update.  I went all out this morning and spent the whole morning and some of the afternoon making a brand new panoramic ending to Episode 3.  But it is being let down by GZDoom's scaling issue.

bunny_scene2_by_hoover1979-dbzl92y.png
Original Size: 7680x2160 (5760x1620 for Risen3D, to avoid Memory Allocation crash).

DISCLAIMER: No Bunnies were harmed in the production of this image.

Edited by hoover1979

3 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

To the OP: See if @Graf Zahl, @Rachael, @Maes or even @dpJudas can help you.

I will send a post to the Zdoom forums tomorrow.  Thanks for the heads up I actually forgot about there (Even though I'm like there ALL THE TIME) #Hoover1979_Brain_Fart.

Sorry, I haven't yet had a chance to create a thread there yet.  Yesterday I ended up in the ER in very bad shape, and spent the night there and got out today and have spent the whole day resting.  I will make a thread on the ZDoom forum when I recover and link it here.

EDIT:  It may be a couple of months before I get a detailed thread up on Zdoom forums.  I won't go into specifics, but my health has declined and I will be going into a private hospital (to avoid the waiting list, have reasonable food and a private secured room I can set up my rig in to keep up on my gaming/texture work).  I will maybe make the thread if the hospital's free wifi works or I will have to wait until I heal and get discharged.

Edited by hoover1979 : Updated information

The end screens are always assumed to be 4:3, just like the main menu and intermission screens. This has always been the case with ZDoom and never changed after it got 16:9 support. Aspect ratio of the used image does not matter.

You can try defining the image size and offset in TEXTURES lump, see if it works. GZDoom in general requires some poking around and defining additional stuff toreplace game assets, but it is also more flexible with what it can do.

On 14/01/2018 at 4:27 AM, Jerry.C said:

The end screens are always assumed to be 4:3, just like the main menu and intermission screens. This has always been the case with ZDoom and never changed after it got 16:9 support. Aspect ratio of the used image does not matter.

The aspect ratio of the image used does indeed matter, when using a 16:9 image as it gets crushed into a 4:3 space and has it's aspect ruined, as my screenshot in the OP shows.

Sorry, I have no plans currently to improve this part of GZDoom. That's the catch of volunteer work - the developers only do the stuff they feel like doing. :)

I recommend either doing a pull request yourself for the feature, or find a developer somewhere interested enough to do what it takes. You will probably have to find someone outside the main GZD team to invest the work required, since the ZDF thread about this issue didn't get the usual volunteers to invest time in it.

58 minutes ago, dpJudas said:

Sorry, I have no plans currently to improve this part of GZDoom. That's the catch of volunteer work - the developers only do the stuff they feel like doing. :)

I recommend either doing a pull request yourself for the feature, or find a developer somewhere interested enough to do what it takes. You will probably have to find someone outside the main GZD team to invest the work required, since the ZDF thread about this issue didn't get the usual volunteers to invest time in it.

Ouch. Hope that doing a pull request won't cause it to be rejected.

A pull request would only be rejected if there issues with the code you submitted.