Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Doomworld Omega Project 2018

I'm very pleased to see that this project doesn't seem to have died. Tis a good omen going into 2019 methinks.....

(hopefully scifista42 will communicate with us soon!)

I thought we were going to give scifista some time to show up before we just compiled the maps and released a beta?

ok
However, i just downloaded the maps made so far but still not compiled anything... if you want to wait for scifista, i'm ok with that...

I don't see a problem with downloading different maps and other resources and getting them ready to go. Scifista may be gone for a long time (it's already been over 3 months) or he may return tomorrow. I didn't want us to jump the gun, but I also don't want the project to just sit and languish. So, since you're the one doing the work, it's up to you how much work you want to do over the coming days that could prove unneeded (although I can't imagine scifista would turn up his nose at good compilation work, if he did come back).

If scifista isnt back by Friday then I say it is fine to compile and release the wad. Otherwise this project will prolly go no where.

1 hour ago, Killer5 said:

If scifista isnt back by Friday then I say it is fine to compile and release the wad. Otherwise this project will prolly go no where.

Good!

@Killer5

Friday is the 4th, which seems a little soon to me. I was thinking that we should move on to compiling sometime in the middle of next week if scifista wasn't back yet. That being said, I'm not the one doing the compiling, so @Walter confetti has a bit to say about the date.

This mapset has 14 maps in it (unless I missed one counting), since Uni decided to withdraw "Lady Palace" (even though it's still on the OP, which is just due to scifista not being around to edit the OP).

Vanilla: 3

Limit-removing: 1

Boom: 4 (although one of those is reportedly GLBoom, cl 17)

GZDoom: 6

Would we set up this up as continuous, continuous with weapons resetting to a pistol start, or a hub? Of course, someone would have to volunteer to make a hub map, but that's a different story.

I also agree that ordering by port and submission date is the best way to go for this project.

@Walter confetti I really hope he relents on the rules he put in place: the Doomworld Mapping Project name carries certain expectations now that it's been going since 2012, none of which were met in its latest iteration. All he needs to do is leave the DMP as it was and start up his own CP with his rules and we'd be sweet.

Fine. I don't have a map in here so I don't have something I actually spent time on in this project so yall can deal with it. I really feel like it is a better idea to do this sooner rather than later.. because I don't want to see another switchroom2 (which I am still salty about because there are some really cool maps in that set imo).

14 hours ago, Killer5 said:

Fine. I don't have a map in here so I don't have something I actually spent time on in this project so yall can deal with it. I really feel like it is a better idea to do this sooner rather than later..

I agree that it is better to get it compiled sooner rather than wait for a long time. I was talking about giving Scifista the courtesy of a few extra days not a few extra months. That being said, Walter is the one doing the legwork of compiling the beta, so it's really up to him how long he wants to wait before proceeding.

14 hours ago, Killer5 said:

because I don't want to see another switchroom2 (which I am still salty about because there are some really cool maps in that set imo).

Switcheroom 2 was a very different situation from this because Scifista was clearly still active. Here, Scifista disappeared and, with a set deadline quickly approaching, the participants began to discuss a solution to avoid the work just languishing. But your point is well taken--I don't think anyone wants a debacle like that one.

While it is possible that some freak accident happened, which would really suck to happen to anyone, I don't think it is a good idea to just say 'around this time we will do something'. Just give a hard date and then do it. The deadline has already past and given the fact that someone decided to not work on an almost finished Megawad's worth of content, when they were active, is a huge red flag for 'we need a contingency plan'.

My beef with your posts is that you seem to feel strongly about this but don't want to take responsibility for a date. Just suggest a date or something. If you don't suggest a date I fail to see how giving till Friday isn't respectable.

Edited by Killer5

If Scifista doesn't come back soon, I might have to help organize a 2019 omega style project. There are just so few gzdoom centered community projects, especially with the absence of the DWMP.

Edit: For a specific date, how about January 12th? It's far enough for Scifista to respond, but close enough to reasonably get the wad compiled. Just my thoughts.

I'm agree too. However, i think that next DMP TimeofDeath have in mind it could be based upon zdoom ports, i guess, since he was talking about making maps beatable on zdoom 2.8.1 and with jumping as a option for this year rules.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:30 AM, Killer5 said:

My beef with your posts is that you seem to feel strongly about this but don't want to take responsibility for a date. Just suggest a date or something. If you don't suggest a date I fail to see how giving till Friday isn't respectable.

I posed the question of how long we would wait for Scifista to return before proceeding with a beta release and Walter responded with 10 days. That sounded good to me, so my initial inclination for a beta release date was January 10, if Scifista didn't return before then. However, any date would be arbitrary, so the 4th, 7th, 10th, 11th, or 12th are all basically equally good; my main point was that I'm not the one doing the compilation work, so it's really up to @Walter confetti and @Voltcom9, for when they feel comfortable releasing the beta, since they're doing the legwork.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:30 AM, Killer5 said:

given the fact that someone decided to not work on an almost finished Megawad's worth of content, when they were active, is a huge red flag for 'we need a contingency plan'.

I agree that Scifista didn't always approach the management of Switcheroom 2 as well as could be. I don't think it's the best approach to say you detest a project and don't really want to do it, but would be open to someone else taking over (except for two specific people) as long as that person was willing to follow the rules and do it Scifista's way (sort of have your cake and eat it, too). That being said, he did successfully release DMP 2015 (with the first alpha being released on 1/4/16), so it's not as if his track record is completely dismal.

3 hours ago, obake said:

I might have to help organize a 2019 omega style project.

Personally, I would welcome an Omega style project for 2019. I don't think the presence of the DOP hurt the DMP or vice versa, and my personal opinion is that more "all comers accepted" type projects is not a bad thing, particularly if they meet different needs.

As you may recall, Scifista organized the Omega Project in response to ToD's new rules for this year's DMP. The Omega Project more closely matched the rules of previous DMP's (pretty much anything goes). The idea was that with ToD's new rules were too stifling, and would result in maps that would be boring to look at (stock resources only), not difficult (since you had to beat your own map), and buggy (since your submission was whatever you submitted first, regardless of how broken it was). So, Scifista started this project to provide a place to go for people who wanted more freedom than ToD's rules allowed.

As Walter said, ToD's rules for the 2019 DMP will be different. Earlier this year, ToD implied they would be more traditional and his latest statements seem to imply compatibility with ZDoom. There may still be room for an Omega-style project, but I think we'll have to wait and see what room it would occupy.

The compilation date appeared, to me, to have become an open question again when walter mentioned possibly being ok waiting for scifista prior to compiling and then you said it was up to him a few posts back. Basically no one confirmed the date after this exchange which makes me nervous.

OK. Then what say everyone to January 10? That way, the beta can be released on the evening of the 10th, which would then give everyone that Friday and the weekend to look at it. It's also a third of a month, which is a reasonable amount of time.

If not then, we can default to Obake's January 12 idea. If the consensus is to move sooner, then let's shoot for January 7 (Monday).

But if no one has any strong feelings, then I vote for January 10.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:28 PM, Voltcom9 said:

@Marlamir what song did you want to use for your map? No music was included, did you want to use D_RUNNIN or did you have anything else in mind? 

Hmm if i can then the only one i have in mind is d_the_da.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:30 AM, obake said:

If Scifista doesn't come back soon, I might have to help organize a 2019 omega style project. There are just so few gzdoom centered community projects, especially with the absence of the DWMP.

Edit: For a specific date, how about January 12th? It's far enough for Scifista to respond, but close enough to reasonably get the wad compiled. Just my thoughts.

Unfortunately Scifista42 has fairly likely to have quit. But we'll see.

Regarding compiling and the like, would it be alright if I uploaded an updated version of my submission? For the most part it's just a balance update that makes the map a little more fair. If not then I'll likely release the updated version standalone further down the track.

1 hour ago, Voltcom9 said:

Also in this version, I reordered the maps based on difficulty and theme rather than port type and date. I got this idea from the DWMP2018 thread where a number of people complained about the map order. I personally think this set of maps play better but I'll leave that to public discussion.

Ironically, Scifista did this reordering in the DMP 2016. He included a list of the map order with commentary on why he chose to put the maps in that order (e.g., "short, straightforward map suitable to be an opening level" "a longer, more difficult map" "a long, difficult slaughter map"). It might be a neat idea to see why you organized them into the order you did.

1 hour ago, Voltcom9 said:

I accidentally started on limit removing instead of vanilla

There was only 1 limit-removing level, right? I don't see it as that big of a deal to put it at the beginning.

My map is a silly Doom conversion of a huge Chex Quest map I made years ago. It was initially on Boom Format but I made it cl2 compatible. :)

Here is the download link for those who are interested. There are a lot of gameplay problems but it's still playable I think :

http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=5393.0

1480276953-screenshot-chex-20161127-2100

1480276961-screenshot-chex-20161127-2059

8 hours ago, Voltcom9 said:

Revised download. If anyone would give this a playthrough to offer feedback and find bugs (stuff I missed in compiling), we can tentatively upload this to idgames as a finished project. (I'll need help with this step, as I haven't uploaded anything to idgames before.) Forgive me I'm a newb. Thanks again to all participants.

Give us some time for revision ...

I found mistake in mapinfo patch: map MAP41 "Speedisimo - by Marlimar"

For a used palette, some shades of blue are displayed incorrectly. In some days i will  send improved partches and sprites...

Must've been some difference in compiling. My map was made for and tested in the last version of ZDoom, so I'm guessing a lot more has changed since I last checked.