Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MancubusBruiser1988

D3 running bad on new laptop

Care to give us the specs of your laptop? That might help to pinpont the problem.

Windows 10 Home
Processor:    AMD E2-9000eRADEON R2, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G 1.50 GHz
Installed memory (RAM):     4.00 GB (3.88 usable)
System type    64-Bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Well, it's looking fine on the hardware side - can't see anything that would cause the game to slow down.

My best guess is that it's a problem with your specific version of Windows 10. Some of its updates like to cause micro-stuttering problems with games, which then get fixed by the next update, oddly enough. But then, if the game is running like shit to begin with, I doubt that's the one either.

I think your best bet would be to uninstall the Xbox app, since it's been known to cause games to lag like crazy - so I hear at least. Check this guide for instructions on that:

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-the-xbox-app-in-windows-10/

Edited by MFG38

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

Well, it's looking fine on the hardware side - can't see anything that would cause the game to slow down.

My only guess is that it's a problem with your specific version of Windows 10. Some of its updates like to cause micro-stuttering problems with games, which then get fixed by the next update, oddly enough. But then, if the game is running like shit to begin with, I doubt that's the one either.

I think your best bet would be to uninstall the Xbox app, since it's been known to cause games to lag like crazy - so I hear at least. Check this guide for instructions on that:

https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-the-xbox-app-in-windows-10/

It's not even needed to remove it anymore as of version 1709 as the most troublesome features can be easily turned off.

You can just disable Game DVR and the stupid automatic recording from the Control Panel now.

It might be a compatibility issue somewhere. Possibly somewhere in the registry. This is only a guess by the way, but it has been known for some applications that pre-date Windows 10 to not recognise Windows 10 functions if that makes sense. And it causes havoc 

7 minutes ago, PizzaGuy said:

It might be a compatibility issue somewhere. Possibly somewhere in the registry. This is only a guess by the way, but it has been known for some applications that pre-date Windows 10 to not recognise Windows 10 functions if that makes sense. And it causes havoc 

Doom3 works demonstrably fine on Windows 10, and nothing you said made rational sense.

@MancubusBruiser1988's issue is likely driver related instead, or because it's a laptop, power related. Check that all graphics drivers are installed and up-to-date, and make sure the laptop has no power saving modes enabled on any of its provided software (at 1.5GHz you really don't have much leg room in any sort of power saving mode).

Also you need to list your GPU, or GPUs as most nowadays sometimes have two for two different power modes, this is especially important as Doom3 predates that tech and wont be auto-configuring to your best available GPU on a laptop.

Edited by Edward850

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Also you need to list your GPU, or GPUs as most nowadays sometimes have two for two different power modes, this is especially important as Doom3 predates that tech and wont be auto-configuring to your best available GPU on a laptop.

GPU power mode would not affect DOOM 3's performance in any way shape or form. Utter nonsense. 

I would go with what @MFG38 said. I once had trouble running Crysis on my Windows 10 laptop and updating Windows 10 fixed the issue. Be sure to update all your drivers of course. 

9 minutes ago, MK-ULTRA said:

GPU power mode would not affect DOOM 3's performance in any way shape or form. Utter nonsense. 

Why wouldn't it? Doom3 needs the GPU to render the scene, does it not?

2 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Why wouldn't it? Doom3 needs the GPU to render the scene, does it not?

Yes it would regardless of power mode setting though. DOOM 3 is over 10 years old and would not be affected by such trivial settings. 

You grossly overestimate the GPU processing power in lower end laptops and chipsets, especially ones designed for battery efficiency.

Tried multiple things, update graphics drivers. High performance, turned off backround stuff, lowered resolution on game.. But still it lags when multiple monster are round and slows down slightly when turning corners or opening doors. My oldest laptop hardly did this at all

49 minutes ago, MancubusBruiser1988 said:

Tried multiple things, update graphics drivers. High performance, turned off backround stuff, lowered resolution on game.. But still it lags when multiple monster are round and slows down slightly when turning corners or opening doors. My oldest laptop hardly did this at all

Try updating your Windows 10 by running a Windows update. Worked for me. 

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Doom3 works demonstrably fine on Windows 10, and nothing you said made rational sense.

I did say it was only a guess.

12 minutes ago, PizzaGuy said:

I did say it was only a guess.

Don't worry about it. Edward can be a little pugnacious at times. 

2 minutes ago, MK-ULTRA said:

Don't worry about it. Edward can be a little pugnacious at times. 

Ha! No worries dude, and I didn't explain what I meant very well either.

Doesn't Doom 3 require a 1.5 GHz processor as minimum? I read that a 2.2 GHz CPU was recommended. Maybe it's just that: low clock speeds and a game that can't use more than a single core.

This is all info for my graphics..

AMD Radeon(TM) R2 Graphics
Chip Type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x98E4)

DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Adapter String: AMD Radeon(TM) R2 Graphics

Bios Information: 113-C91400-007
Total Available Graphics Memory: 2117MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 128 MB

System Video Memory: 0MB

Shared System Memory: 1989 MB

That's a fairly weak APU with no actual independent VRAM (and what it has allocated is little at that). Coupled with the fairly low end 1.5 GHz CPU, you likely have your culprit right there. Put simply that chip wasn't meant for games, but rather basic media like videos and web browsing.

Not to say you couldn't push on; With the low clock speed, I'd try lowering the screen resolution in addition to the other game settings, as that should reduce the fillrate.

Edited by Edward850

It's not old vs new, computers don't work like that. In this case, it's tiers. New hardware has more capabilities, but performance is an aspect of the tier you bought it. Consider the difference between two graphics cards, a GTX 670 and a GT 1030; the 1030 may be newer and thus supports more things like DirectX12, but the GTX670 will continue to run rings around it because of its raw horsepower (the 1030 being some of the shelf $80 card and the GTX670 costing you around $500). If you wanted to buy something newer and better, it would have to be something like a GTX1070, which is the same hardware tier and thus will have both more features, but also be faster without a doubt because it's the same hardware tier as the 670 but with newer chipset manufacturing techniques.

If you want a better way to view it, always look at the original market values of both units, cost usually says it all.

(Plus APUs simply aren't fit for that purpose anyway so it was a non-starter this whole time; it simply wasn't built for that job)

Edited by Edward850