Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t3l3tubie

Freedoom app released on google play store

Hello,

I've recently released a bundle of Freedoom and an open source port of GZDoom for android on the play store here. I was wondering: 

A. Is ok for me to keep it there?

B. Can I keep using the freedoom name for the app or should I try and change it to something else?

C. Is anyone interested in this kind of thing, possible other bundles with community wads, or helping out with improvement?

Github link:

https://github.com/mkrupczak3/GZDoom-Android

Edited by t3l3tubie

Nicely done! It's totally ok to do all of the above; freedoom is BSD licensed and can be used however you like, as long as you comply with the license. We have no objections to using the freedoom name as long as you're not using it to advertise something completely different from freedoom.

Hey t3l3tubie I have a super special request!

I recently got a bluetooth keyboard and mouse - and would love to be able to play your port of Freedoom using mouselook. Any chances you can get this to work?

I swear - if you can get this and brutal doom working on an Android S5 - that's me done. I'll literally be carrying a bluetooth mouse and keyboard everywhere and anywhere I take my smart phone. Doom4lyfe y0!!!

On 2/12/2018 at 1:38 AM, cupcake said:

Hey t3l3tubie I have a super special request!

I recently got a bluetooth keyboard and mouse - and would love to be able to play your port of Freedoom using mouselook. Any chances you can get this to work?

I swear - if you can get this and brutal doom working on an Android S5 - that's me done. I'll literally be carrying a bluetooth mouse and keyboard everywhere and anywhere I take my smart phone. Doom4lyfe y0!!!

Hi cupcake,

Brutal Doom should work on the latest version of the app. As far as keyboard and mouse support, keyboard is supported currently but I'm not too sure about how difficult it would be to add in mouse-look.

Runs and plays well on Android, nice to see this getting some attention and having Freedoom be accessible to other audiences. About the third question, I believe it is okay to bundle a community WAD if the text file states that distribution of the WAD is allowed, usually with no contents modified and the original text file included. Might also be best to state what WADs are included in the app if you ever get around to bundling any community files.

It appears the GZDoom-Android project that this was a fork of was pretty much abandoned.

Are there plans to continue forwards and update this port to GZDoom 3.x (which would allow it to get rid of FMOD) or would it follow the same fate as its parent project?

My only issue with this app is that it doesn't remember the settings I change, meaning I have to set them every time I launch the sourceport.

Edit: Oh wait no I'm an idiot, they're not kept between IWads, I only have to set them once.

Edited by DepravedDiptera