Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why does everybody misinterpret what old school fps games like Doom are?

1 minute ago, cyan0s1s said:

Who said it had to reinvent the wheel? What's wrong with just having more of what we like in the present day? I liked (at the time) that I got a modern Postal 1 with Hatred, and then Carmageddon: Reincarnation/Max Damage, and now DUSK looks like it's going to scratch that Quake itch. Yeah, it's not Quake, or Doom, but it could be the next best thing. They're going to be rolling out an editor and workshop support, so mapping and modding the game is going to be a high priority, of which constitutes part of the fundamentals of what makes a classic FPS game or not, besides having solid game feel, great feedback and a memorable cast of weapons and enemies.

they also really want to publicly release the source code too and from what ive heard from zombie this is going to be after the sdk is released tentatively at least 

22 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

What's wrong with just having more of what we like in the present day?

I'm with ya here. To be honest, I didn't know this game until this thread, and DUSK seems fine to me, so I want to try it. Of course, probably not until I have the time and I just don't want to spend the money now because I spent quite some recently.

It seems people just frown on something which looks like something before, but well, old FPS games are just minority things, so I don't really expect wide acceptance here.

The modern shooters require some thinking before playing.

It's how the time changes. Anything past Quake was utilizing models, so different game mechanics needed to be developed.

Like @GarrettChan said, old FPS are simply minority things.

3 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

The modern shooters require some thinking before playing.

I can't get the meaning of this.

5 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

critical thinking, dude.

Doom doesn't need critical thinking? Damn!

↓↓↓ I don't, because you didn't put "(2016)".

4 hours ago, CARRiON said:

*checks op's name*

ono.

200w.gif

Yea, fuck having an opinion on something. We all have to believe the same thing. 

Perhaps this is just my imagination but I feel the forum boards have become more childish in recent years. I admit that perhaps my memory is just lying to me but I have been here for like 10 years and I don't remember the forum having this many childish posts or personal attacks in the past. Perhaps this is the result of Brutal Doom's popularity leading to a influx of younger members?

1 minute ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Perhaps this is just my imagination but I feel the forum boards have become more childish in recent years.

How?

2 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

How?

Look at the post I quoted above. I am talking about all of these "ha ha ur dumb" style posts that in many cases don't even include any counter-argument against the points I made. Just recently somebody at the "trying to understand Doom 3's level design" thread I made asked me if there were any pipes leading out of my ass or something along those lines because there was a post in the thread where I asked a question about the piping networks seen in Doom 3. Though seeing as his post vanished I assume it was deleted by the mods. Perhaps this is just confirmation bias, but I just don't remember encountering this type shit in the past. Or at least not this often.

9 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Yea, fuck having an opinion on something. We all have to believe the same thing. 

Perhaps this is just my imagination but I feel the forum boards have become more childish in recent years. I admit that perhaps my memory is just lying to me but I have been here for like 10 years and I don't remember the forum having this many childish posts or personal attacks in the past. Perhaps this is the result of Brutal Doom's popularity leading to a influx of younger members?

Yeah, it's just your imagination. You are acting pretty childish yourself. Also, don't use BD as an ebil scary boogeyman for people that disagree with the things that you post.

It doesn't really matter who you are. Having a bunch of uneducated opinions and constantly posting them for the world to see will get you laughed at. And as Xaser has pointed out you have quite a track record for uneducated opinions, to the point that now everything you say on topics such as this come off hilariously childish.

I saw your Doom 3 level design thread, and didn't see anything wrong with it. Also I don't even play Brutal Doom so I fail to see what the has to do with anything.

7 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Having a bunch of uneducated opinions and constantly posting them for the world to see will get you laughed at.

Most of the points that I have made have been valid. I will admit that hasn't always been the case, but nobody is always correct. People are just being pretentious and acting like anything they don't agree with is "unedcuated".

I saw your Doom 3 level design thread, and didn't see anything wrong with it.

The offending posts were removed.

2 minutes ago, EmotionalFelineinaMadstate said:

hardcore_baited

1 minute ago, Cacodemon345 said:

hardcore_biased

Thanks for proving my point.

EDIT: Anyways, this thread has been derailed. Can we pls get back on topic plz?

19 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

The offending posts were removed.

Yeah I have seen that on the other Doom 3 Pipes whatever thread, while I may not agree with everything you say, I don't think it's mature to act like an edgy teen and use the OP situation as an excuse to offend them, there's the thing called constructive criticism.

3 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Perhaps this is just my imagination but I feel the forum boards have become more childish in recent years. I admit that perhaps my memory is just lying to me but I have been here for like 10 years and I don't remember the forum having this many childish posts or personal attacks in the past.

I will try and illuminate this for you, can't promise it'll be brief, but might as well:

Your so-called opinions on Classic Doom in recent months have left a lot to be desired in terms of knowledge about the game in and of itself. In fact, some of that stuff was so lackluster that people thought you were a troll, and I have to admit that you managed to make it difficult for me to not get that impression.

And here we are, in a thread in which you give your "opinion" on a game that aims to be faithful to the FPSs "of old", which (according to my understanding of the steam refund system) you haven't even played for 2 hours or longer. Based on that obviously very limited exposure to a game which you personally did not like, you concluded that "everybody misinterprets what oldschool games like Doom are", which is one hell of a stretch if there ever was one.

If -at this point in time- you are in any way shape or form surprised that people are inclined to push you face first into that mess of a ramble which you pieced together, while you yourself actually, genuinely believe that...

2 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Most of the points that I have made have been valid.

... you have some catching up to do, because as it would appear, the majority of people around here have had more than enough reasons to let you know what you have been wrong about and why, repeatedly I might add... Don't be surprised that people eventually stopped taking your stuff serious.

You know what? I'd much prefer not to come across as if I was convinced that what's going on here is something you brought upon yourself somehow... But I'm really hard pressed to actually pull something out of my arse that could be in your favour, other than "childish responses are childish, and people shouldn't take that shit too far", but that's all I have... There's no defending you for giving an undercooked opinion on a game (undercooked by your own admission, mind you), and talking smack about how "nobody gets it right", especially with the background Xaser mentioned (not that he had to, because you made a name for yourself, believe it or not).

You wanna talk about how good a game is at what it does or not? Do it like other reviewers, sit down for a couple days, and play that thing from start to finish. Only playing a couple maps doesn't say much, and it's way too easy to label it as kneejerk reaction to begin with.

So there you have it, my take on why you reel in the reactions you currently get... Could quite possibly all be wasted effort, but first off I just hate it when people play the victim card for reaping what they sow, and second off I figured I'd give you the benefit of the doubt for what could very well be the last time.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

This thread wasn't that bad. If only because the phenomenon actually exists. Using Dusk as an example was apparently misguided, other than some of its visuals. Those bad Wolfenstein 3D clones are a much better fit, but does anyone actually like those?

Then there's the usual amount of hardsplaining, but I didn't even notice at first, probably because I'm getting used to it. Which is pretty sad.

I love how much a broad sweeping generalisation the topic title is, in a clickbait-y way. "Why does everybody misinterpret what old school fps games like Doom are?" (emphasis mine).

Yes, @hardcore_gamer. Everybody. Except you, of course. You hold within your mind the perfect, untainted picture of what oldschool FPS were, are, should be, and shall always be. Damn and blast these DoomWorld philistines, all of which are about 13 years old and addicted to Brutal Doom, for their slings and arrows; their mockery at your vision. If only they'd understand. If only.