Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Do models decrease performance more than sector/linedef based detail?

How much strain do details created out of models put on the game compared to more traditional detail created out of sectors and linedefs?

My hunch is that depends entirely on their use.

A level made out of nothing but models would render in its entirety every single frame and run awfully.

On the other end of the scale an incredibly intricate small piece of level design made out of 500 sectors with slopes and 3D floors and the like would result in a very complex BSP in a very small area, and I'm sure would take longer to process than a single model in an otherwise single sector.

I don't know for sure though, as individual ports likely handle models in different ways. 

Thanks for the reply. But speaking of models, I am having a problem. I thought I finally got models working but now I have a new hedache :(

I got a model with just 1 texture working and the modeldef code looked like this:

Skin 0 "Models\fusebox1\fusebox1front.png"

But what I am suppose to do if my md3 model is using more than just 1 texture? Add a second line? I made it look like this:

Skin 0 "Models\fusebox1\fusebox1front.png"

Skin 1 "Models\fusebox1\fuseboxsides.png"

But the model won't work in the editor or it's textures are missing. No idea what to do. How do you handle models that have more than a single texture?

I believe it depends on the size and complexity of the models. I use very low .md3 models in my mod since I'm only using models for decorations (couch, ceiling fan, etc...) and my frame rate does not dip at all.