Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RetroDoomKid

White dots/pixels on walls! gzdoom

Recommended Posts

I keep seeing these white dots/pixels on mostly dark walls does anyone know how to fix it? Setting it to quality did nothing...
And its very anoyying..
Anyone have the same?

Share this post


Link to post

It seems to be a common issue, even though I don't know if there's a way to fix it. Personally I just got used to it.

 

Also, this should've been posted on the "Source Ports" section.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, KVELLER said:

It seems to be a common issue, even though I don't know if there's a way to fix it. Personally I just got used to it.

 

Also, this should've been posted on the "Source Ports" section.

my bad man...

so yeah so you have it too then??

mine can get severe on brown walls usually tho

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, MetroidJunkie said:

Is VSync on? Sounds like graphical tearing.

No it's not. These are literally white dots appering on corners and stuff like that. It has nothing to do with screen tearing.

Share this post


Link to post

It seems to be a issue in NVIDIA GPUs. AMD GPUs work fine. I myself didn't encounter any white dots/pixels on my AMD Radeon RX 460.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

It seems to be a issue in NVIDIA GPUs. AMD GPUs work fine. I myself didn't encounter any white dots/pixels on my AMD Radeon RX 460.

Well, I'm playing with Intel HD Grpahics 630 :P I'm wouldn't really be surprised if that's causing issues.

 

Also:

Quote

I've done more testing on a Geforce 7300 with OpenGL 2.0.3. Still no difference on GZDoom 2.2 but now the game always looks good while on my ati card (radeon x1250 and GL 2.1.8) always looks bad (with the dots)

 

Share this post


Link to post

Try turning FXAA on (low setting in your case, I use medium because RX 480) because once I did this, I didn't see the white "edges"

Share this post


Link to post

also there is no option in zandronum that has fxaa..

and even if it set it to quality it still there..

as for gzdoom i fixed it by turning on multi to 4x but still id like to keep it off 

but then i get those dots is there not a way to fix this? 

does this happen on like every computer mostly?

its rly bothering me its especially bad in plutonia dots everywhere! it almost looks like graphical issues like artifacts

but since a lot of people are getting this across the board i bet its not a related to a faulty gpu so not sure now 

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I meant GZDoom. Should have clarified.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, RetroDoomKid said:

also there is no option in zandronum that has fxaa..

and even if it set it to quality it still there..

as for gzdoom i fixed it by turning on multi to 4x but still id like to keep it off 

but then i get those dots is there not a way to fix this? 

does this happen on like every computer mostly?

its rly bothering me its especially bad in plutonia dots everywhere! it almost looks like graphical issues like artifacts

but since a lot of people are getting this across the board i bet its not a related to a faulty gpu so not sure now 

 

Maybe driver fault, see if you can update your video/graphic card/chip's driver...unless you're already using latest driver, then try using older version of driver if you're using nVidia GPUs.

If problem still happens then I don't know. :(

 

On 2018/1/18 at 10:10 PM, Cacodemon345 said:

It seems to be a issue in NVIDIA GPUs. AMD GPUs work fine. I myself didn't encounter any white dots/pixels on my AMD Radeon RX 460.

Maybe, but update the driver maybe fix it, at least it's not happen on my GTX 1060.

anti-aliasing 32x + max FXAA, seems perfectly fine. :p

(But I'm using 368.81 driver, from 2016, don't know if latest one would cause any problems like this, but older ones may.)

Share this post


Link to post

It has nothing to do with FXAA, nVidia GPUs or AMD GPUs, drivers or anything like this.

 

It's a Rendering Quality issue.

GZDoom has 2 methods of rendering - high precision and low precision. Lower precision obviously means higher speed, but the cost is that sometimes white dots appear on texture seams.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/OpenGL_options 

Setting "Rendering quality" in Opengl options to "quality" (or gl_render_precise to 1) in THEORY should rid you of hte artifacts in question.

 

The problem is, since GZDoom 3.0 the feature does not work and only low precision rendering is available.

Zandronum should still have it working though, try setting it on and see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Sinael said:

The problem is, since GZDoom 3.0 the feature does not work and only low precision rendering is available.

Zandronum should still have it working though, try setting it on and see what happens.

 

Yeah, and now fixed the glitch, at least on the upcoming GZDooM dev. builds, and the next release build...

Edited by Player Lin : keep changes wording...

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Player Lin said:

 

Yeah, and now fixed the glitch, at least on the upcoming GZDooM dev. builds, and the next release build...

Great! Looks like dpJudas's spotlights code also got merged. Means soon we'll be getting some more advanced dynamic lighting options and actual flashlights that aren't a string of light actors.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×