Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1337D00M3R

A wad i made

I took one for the team and opened it. It's genuinely just some generic first map this guy made. Very small, very short, and with a sealed-off room with 50 keens in it that do nothing. Nothing in SLADE, no other maps, just this.

As trolley and terry-like this seems, it looks to be just fine.

iddt picture of entire map:

Spoiler

Zr2AYJn.png

28 minutes ago, bonnie said:

I took one for the team and opened it. It's genuinely just some generic first map this guy made. Very small, very short, and with a sealed-off room with 50 keens in it that do nothing. Nothing in SLADE, no other maps, just this.

As trolley and terry-like this seems, it looks to be just fine.

iddt picture of entire map:

Reveal hidden contents

Zr2AYJn.png

Yeah, I do short maps like this. Ill try extending this one, though

ALSO: There was supposed to be a secret door leading to the keen room, but I could not make one for unknown reasons

Edited by 1337D00M3R

For future reference, try to include more information with your map posts, such as (but not limited to):

• Map format. You can include what ports you tested with too, but the actual format is significantly more important. You should be testing your maps in their base compatibility anyways (like boom maps in prboom+, -complevel 9).
  • Screenshots! People don't want to waste their time downloading and opening your map just to get a glimpse.
    • Make sure their enticing shots too, in order to draw players' attention. Try using no HUD, no ugly visual effects (decals, transparency, pretty much most zdoom things), interesting angles, etc.
  • Any other details you think may be of interest.
    • Build time, music, specific restrictions, IWAD, number of maps, etc.
    • But not a 50 page novel on the "story" of your 20 second hallway map. Try to avoid that.

Here's my UV blind run of the map. The map is not very amusing with lots of texturing glitches and some door opening to the sky.

See:

A very basic "My first map" type of deal. Low detail, minimal height changes, boxy and cramped rooms/corridors, uniform lighting and some basic mapping errors (doortrack not doortrack, door opening to sky). Use this as a stepping stone to produce a bigger, better map for those interested in playing custom maps :)

Some things I would have done:

• Doubled or tripled the length of this map and have some sort of objective, such as opening a remote door or having a key to get.
  • Fixing the door so the door tracks used DOORTRAK or DOORSTOP, plus an indentation outside so it didn't "open to the sky".
  • Used wider hallways because after watching the video above, it's possible if you're not quick to dispatch the barons and knights to grab the BFG, you could run out of shells.
  • Added some extra details to give more of a visual "oomph". Even a few basic consoles or such can improve the mood of the map.
  • Using some non-square rooms/sectors, changing the lighting and height/ceiling levels more.

I hope this helps on your next map.

FDA and second attempt to find all missing monsters. If it's your first map then cool, keep grinding em out and send me a PM if you want someone to test :) If you're just a real jokester with those keens then shame on you!

[

In general, I agree with @Glaice's comments, except for his third comment about the width of the hallway (see my 4th comment). These are my additional thoughts.

1. The first room being open to the sky doesn't add much to the map. I get the idea behind an open-air "courtyard" to start the level, but the existing structure doesn't really convey that. Furthermore, the door on the other side that you can't open conveys the message that you're in the entrance room of a larger facility. Therefore, I think you could change the sky to a ceiling texture and not lose anything. That would also resolve the "door opens to the sky" complaint.
  2. It looks like you intended to have the Keen room be accessed via a door across from the octagonal room, but forgot to set the linedef to open. Or maybe you intended to have it open via switch, but forgot the switch somewhere. Regardless, having a room full of several dozen Keens doesn't really make sense. As an enemy, the Keens only make sense if you're using them to open a 666-tagged door. I suggest you either just remove the room full of Keens or you populate it with something else.
  3. The red pillars with the skulls on them at either end of the hallway look as if they are framing an entrance, so it looks almost like there should be a secret door at either end of the hallway. I suggest putting a secret door at one end of the hallway and have another decoration at the other end or a monster (set to ambush)  standing in between them.
  4. I think the fight with the cacodemon, the baron, and the hell knights in the corridor works well and forces the player to deal with these monsters differently than if they were just approaching in a wide-open room. The narrow confines of the hallway mean that the player has more difficulty dodging their projectiles.
  5. Add a walkover line that will close a door behind you when you first enter the hallway. That way, you would have to either dodge fireballs in the narrow confines of the hallway (difficult) or push ahead quickly to get to the BFG. In that case, you may want to add extra lighting or something to suggest to the player that there is a small side-corridor with the BFG in it.
  6. Mark the switch at the end as the exit switch in some way. This could be done by adding exit sign in a small cutout on the wall or adding it overhead.

Ultimately, keep it up and push forward. Everyone starts somewhere. The key is improving from where you start.

The Keen-Open-Door tag thing only works on MAP32 I believe, or if you use MAPINFO then it becomes ZDoom exclusive in terms of finishing 100% kills and secrets.

44 minutes ago, Glaice said:

The Keen-Open-Door tag thing only works on MAP32 I believe, or if you use MAPINFO then it becomes ZDoom exclusive in terms of finishing 100% kills and secrets.

It will work on any map and is vanilla compatible (for Doom 2, of course). Once all Keens on a map are killed, all sectors tagged 666 open as doors.

Yeah, I think @Glaice might be thinking of something else like killing all the barons or arachnotrons on the map which are the map specific ones. Also secret exits are map specific as well I believe (unless you are using mapinfo of course)