Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
[McD] James

Have any of you ever owned an Apple Newton?

Were you happy with your purchase? Did you get a refund because none of its features properly worked, and its entire marketing campaign was based on lies? Do you still own your Newton? Any interesting stories to share? 

BsFX5JRIYAApSW7.jpg

Never owned one, but ashens has a pretty good review here:

I think it was ahead of its time; too far ahead. And what I mean by that was that it was a great concept but the technology (handwriting recognition plus all the rest) was too primitive for it to be done well at the time. But only a few years later the Palm Pilot came out and did the same thing with much more success. Interestingly though they took a different approach and made users learn Graffiti instead of trying to do handwriting recognition well.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, fraggle said:

But only a few years later the Palm Pilot came out and did the same thing with much more success. Interestingly though they took a different approach and made users learn Graffiti instead of trying to do handwriting recognition well.

I think it says a lot about Palm's approach that almost 15 years later, I still know how to write Graffiti. Like, I literally bought a used Sony Clie from a junk store a few months back, charged it up, and immediately started writing on it without having to consult the guide, just out of muscle memory.

I knew someone with a Newton and I thought it was super-cool at the time.

Palm was cheaper and more reliable though. More common too. :p